uh-oh, could be the fat lady has made an appearance for me

Area: Debs/Jones

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
could only catch a couple of snappers on the way out the creek today, and only one small enough to liveline. of course a bluefish snatched it and I went back to pink and white gulp on buck and teaser. Two 14" weaks, two 17" fluke and the fish in the pic below (what in hell is it ?) was it for me today. Boat near me was catching dozens of snappers on a sabiki like rig, letting them all go, and he also had several short weakfish. Caught another snapper under ten inches long and had it bitten in half with quite a large bite. Absolutely gorgeous morning however, with a cool start, little or no breeze, bright sun, low humidity and no weed. I would have gladly traded the action I did have for a single "dinner" but I think for me the fat lady cleared her throat today.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
could only catch a couple of snappers on the way out the creek today, and only one small enough to liveline. of course a bluefish snatched it and I went back to pink and white gulp on buck and teaser. Two 14" weaks, two 17" fluke and the fish in the pic below (what in hell is it ?) was it for me today. Caught another snapper under ten inches long and had it bitten in half with quite a large bite. Absolutely gorgeous morning however, with a cool start, little or no breeze, bright sun, low humidity and no weed. I would have gladly traded the action I did have for a single "dinner" but I think for me the fat lady cleared her throat today.
Got a picture with the head? Some kind of jack I think.

Reactions: longcast

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
if you click on it don't you get the whole fish ? It had a real prickly spine like thing running where a fish might have a lateral line. I think I caught one like it 20 years ago late summer in that general area.

Reactions: longcast

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019
You can let us know. :)

All kidding aside, I really do not know. Keep it on ice until someone helps identify. :)

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I might just use the two filets as bait ! Except for livelining and one or two clam belly expeditions, , it will be the first time I have used bait in over a decade ! Would be targeting fluke, weaks or blues but I guess to be safe I will use a circle.

could only catch a couple of snappers on the way out the creek today, and only one small enough to liveline. of course a bluefish snatched it and I went back to pink and white gulp on buck and teaser. Two 14" weaks, two 17" fluke and the fish in the pic below (what in hell is it ?) was it for me today. Boat near me was catching dozens of snappers on a sabiki like rig, letting them all go, and he also had several short weakfish. Caught another snapper under ten inches long and had it bitten in half with quite a large bite. Absolutely gorgeous morning however, with a cool start, little or no breeze, bright sun, low humidity and no weed. I would have gladly traded the action I did have for a single "dinner" but I think for me the fat lady cleared her throat today.
I know i'm wrong, but it looks like a butterfish.

tjd2320

Angler
Apr 26, 2020
Wish you had taken a better photo.
It looks like a Yellow Jack.
I've caught them in Fla.

They're good table fare, but I released them before I found out later that day.
Too late....maybe next time.

BAYHAWK

New Angler
Apr 10, 2021
I believe it's a blue runner that the tannic canal water has darkened. It should have a dark spot to the rear of the gill plate and bony projections on the lateral line and top and bottom of the body within a couple of inches of the tail to the tail. From discussions at the docks in Florida you would probably enjoy eating a bunker more than it.

Reactions: pequa1

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
SWMBO going out with the ladies tonite. I have three large snappers for the barbie. I will donate this blue runner/rudderfish/ jack to the flower garden. Your description of it is "spot" on, pun intended, as I believe the spot would show in the pic if I didn't have the stringer covering it. It was much more yellow than blue but otherwise, spot on. Thanks!

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrT