Was there any recreational fishing during the WW2 years ?

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
I doubt there was , but I read about party boats fishing in the Bight during the war . You know anybody who fished during the war ?
Saltwater writer Mark Sosin was fishing in Barneget Bay with his father and witnessed an Oil Tanker get Torpedoed offshore. Something you'd never forget !
NY Harbor had a submarine Net that went across the Harbor that connected to the little Islands there. The Islands had 50 Caliber Machine Gun Nests. December 1942 , A U boat sailed right up to NY Harbor and deposited 10 Enemy Mines by Ambrose Tower. It was U606 or 607 . a Navy Minesweeper cleared them out. U Boats patrolled off Long Island until the last day of the War. U 869, U550, U853 were all sunk within 60 miles of Long Island. U550 was sunk in 1944 , Dead crewmembers floated off Long Island, several were picked up 25 miles off Shinnecock A Navy fighter Pilot flying a Grumman Avenger plane spotted U 853 on the surface between Montauk and Block Island - Near Southwest Ledge - the day before WW 2 in Europe ended. Right after seeing it on the surface the U boat sank the SS Blackpoint . Destroyers stayed with the convoys and U Boats survived if they didn't attack the convoy. The Navy Covered up the Sinking of the USS Turner off the Rockaways. The Navy did the same with the USS Eagle off Maine. For years they denied it was sunk by a U Boat and years later they admitted it was.
So you wonder if anybody ventured offshore to fish during the war ? there was rationing, you think they'd want some fishing. Imagine if WW2 Happened now and we couldn't go fishing for 4 years ?
Humphery Bogart said in the movie Action in the North Atlantic that the front was right off Sandy Hook and he was right.

Last edited:

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
I remember reading a few stories in Matt Aherns book. There was mostly party boat fishing. The privately owned recreational fishing boats were few and far between. Not like today when on the weekend you can skip your way to Cholera Bank.

I have to look for that book. I know I have it somewhere. Too bad it is out of print. It was a great read. Really a collection of stories that where mostly printed in the Fisherman magazine in the 70s and 80s.

Reactions: Pangaroo and BennyV

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
The Grumman Avenger pilot was interviewed on You Tube. The Pilots name was John Bradley. Very interesting.

Last edited:

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
I remember reading a few stories in Matt Aherns book. There was mostly party boat fishing. The privately owned recreational fishing boats were few and far between. Not like today when on the weekend you can skip your way to Cholera Bank.

I have to look for that book. I know I have it somewhere. Too bad it is out of print. It was a great read. Really a collection of stories that where mostly printed in the Fisherman magazine in the 70s and 80s.
I loved that story about him going out with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. There's a picture of Ruth and Gehrig holding up cod with their Fishing rods and off to the side was Young Matt Ahern leaning against the rail.

Reactions: WhatKnot

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nr1730