Waters still to cold

Area: Moriches

Loonzter

Angler
Jan 20, 2020
Long Island, NY
Got out yesterday, managed only a few short fluke. Boats running good and the sun was shining so not much to complain about. I have a question for all you seasoned flukers out there. The few reports I've been reading often mention how the water is 'still to cold'. In your opinions, now that the water temps has busted the 50* mark do you believe that's the reason for the lackluster fluking we've been seeing in our areas? Not to long ago, when fluking was good, once the bays got between 50 - 55 it was game on. The last few years, for me anyway, fluking has been tough. I was just wondering if this year is starting off as another potential slow year.

Reactions: MOJOE

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
fish really dont show up till June now...I do remember fishing on the inside of the Jones jetty in may catching one fluke after an other ...No more ...

Bachala

New Angler
May 14, 2019
Unless you are fishing all day and fishing all the tides I think it is hard to gauge how well the fluking is. Based on the various reports I am seeing it seems that the fluke have made a decent showing so far with respectable sized fish. The bite changes day to day. Last year everyone was complaining about the lack of fluke in the Western Sound. I fished my favorite haunt there and never had to move. Drifted the same area all day for non stop bites. Regarding temps... some people swear by the 60 degree mark.

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boomer43