Weekend Boating Accidents

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
With the news of the craziness in Moriches this weekend, I'm thinking of not leaving the dock on weekends anymore. I'm based in Shinnecock so i did not witness either event but based on the stories I've heard, both appear to be the result of disrespectful bigger boats going too fast and plowing over smaller boats. I say "appear" and I could be totally be wrong but......

I see it more and more and its down right scary. I was fishing the Shinnecock Bay last Thursday and close to a main channel with about half a dozen other boats. Along comes a 32' Grady going way too fast and instead of either slowing down or going around everybody as he had plenty of water, he threads right through all of us throwing a monster wake. I watched 2 older gentleman in a boat next 2 me get knocked silly.

I don't think its a stretch to think both accidents were caused by something similar. The captain of 32' Cabo in Saturdays accident in Moriches Inlet was quoting as saying the sunglare got to him and he couldn't see the smaller boat. Well if the u is in your eyes and you're coming into a crowded inlet, slow the F**K down!!!!!!!!

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Frankly I’m surprised there aren’t more accidents. Regulations are being created on a reactive basis instead of a proactive basis.

I watch sailboats flirt with near collisions all weekend. Small part of the overall equation for most but not in my neck of the woods. When they are propelled by wind they are considered a sailing vessels. When under motor propulsion they are considered a sailboat and get no right of way. I love explaining this to them while they continue to state repeatedly that they have the right of way. Wrong.

Bassknuckles

Angler
Jan 15, 2019
Unfortunately, the weekend is really the only time I get to go out. I try to get out early and get in before the knuckleheads get out. Both days this weekend I was at the boat at 6:00 a.m. and back at the dock by noon. I was actually surprised their weren't more boats at the Hempstead Reef.

Reactions: BennyV

jpd

Staff member
Dec 24, 2018
I googled Moriches boating accident to read more, apparently it's the Wild Wild West down there - sheesh.
Some 18y/o girl ran her jetski into the side of a 35' boat and died - 10:30 in the morning so I hope she wasn't drunk. :(

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
All of this will be solved by the soon to be required safe boating courses. Yeah right. Enforcement and mandatory sentencing for reckless "driving" and impoundments maybe. Say the word 'Chapmans" at the dock or marina some day. Crickets.

Reactions: Old Mud and Avenger

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I fished that inlet for years and it was a mad house then. Anyone that’s gone through that inlet on outgoing with s se wind knows how simple it is to be low enough not to see the boat in front of you. You have to be fully aware of everyone that’s around you. And don’t forget about the clam chummers anchored up in the middle of things.

poorrichard

New Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Pequa 1 as you know, I teach Boating Safety for NY State. Negligence is hard to overcome no matter how much education is required. The Moriches accident has me asking, Where were the required lookouts? Lookouts are required at all times a vessel is underway. Three people on board and no-one acting as a looking or seeing the smaller vessel?

Reactions: BennyV

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Pequa 1 as you know, I teach Boating Safety for NY State. Negligence is hard to overcome no matter how much education is required. The Moriches accident has me asking, Where were the required lookouts? Lookouts are required at all times a vessel is underway. Three people on board and no-one acting as a looking or seeing the smaller vessel?
You’re lucky they knew how to turn it on.

People think they have the right to a boat because they have the means. Common sense is not a prerequisite.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Just curious, what happens if the captain is alone? Also so now I have someone aboard that's never been on a boat before, are they supposed to be a lookout?

I'm a firm believer in having a lookout whenever we're running or throughout the night. Coming back from the tails last a few weeks ago our lookout helped us avoid a 20-rope that was free floating. But he was an experienced mate that knew what to look for.

My guess is he was relying on radar and in that intlet it's easy to not see a moving vessel when that intlet gets whipped up.

poorrichard

New Angler
Jan 17, 2019
You are required to maintain a proper lookout at all time the vessel is underway-to avoid collisions. If the Captain is the only one aboard he also needs to be aware of his/her surroundings. When I have no-one aboard I am constantly watching my surroundings, side to side and behind. to check for other boats, tugs ect If RADAR is on the vessel it should be operating.

The lookout can be anyone or everyone on board watching the water. Not looking at their phone, facebook ect.

You were on a vessel where the lookout helped avoid an obstruction(rope) in the water which could have caused injury if caught in the propellers

Reactions: george

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Again, I was not there and I have no clue how accurate the news reporting was and will not take it as 100 % factual but the captain of the Saturday night event in the inlet was quoted as saying he was blinded by sun glare and did not see the other smaller boat. If that is truly the case he should have been moving at a slower safer speed.

George raises some interesting points about the amount of people fishing the inlet and creating navigational hazards so the smaller boat that got hit could have indeed been a navigational hazard. There was no mention as to whether they were anchored, drifting, or under power at the time of the crash.

Bucktail

New Angler
Mar 9, 2019
condolences to the family of the murdered woman. Moriches is a nut house , we were fishing to the west on Sunday and were in radio range and the idiots we heard were amazing , yo what side of dat bouy is we supposed to go? Got the anchor set in da middle of da fuggin inlet , where's da bass? Is dat you on da horizon? Be careful out there kids.

SORTIE

Angler
Jul 9, 2019
U.S. Waters
www.linkedin.com
condolences to the family of the murdered woman
are you referring to the gal who committed suicide by running her jetski into the broadside of a larger vessel, or did someone else perish? In neither event is it murder.

PILOTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR WAKE, REGARDLESS OF WHERE IT'S CREATED.

If your visual acuity is impaired, FOR ANY REASON, reduce to no-wake speed or stop until you regain your bearings. "blinded by the sun" is not an excuse for plowing into another boat at high speed.

On Sunday, as I was approaching a mooring pickup, I hear a voice from above and astern of me "DO NOT BACK UP!" I turn around and some dumbass in a large cabin cruiser is passing TEN FEET behind me. I yell out "WHY ARE YOU SO CLOSE TO ME?" and he replies "what could I do, there's a mooring on the other side of me" to which I replied "THEN WAIT"

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS! stay frosty out there, NYAnglers

WhatKnot

Well-Known Angler
May 18, 2019
Gave up fishing on weekends awhile back, when I had to it was out at 7 and tying up at noon.

Bucktail

New Angler
Mar 9, 2019
I was referring to the woman killed when she and her husband's boat was run down outside Cupsogue!

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Just read up on both events, along with other "LI Boating Events" this past weekend. Like anything else in life, crowded, high-traffic areas mean more chances for disaster.

The whole thing reminds me of some wise words a Texan neighbor told my son when he asked me to find his boat which had broken free of it's mooring. "Hey Sandy, my son wants to buy a boat and I can't talk him out of it. Please give him some advice."

Sandy puts is hand on my son's shoulder and in his perfect Texan drawl gives some very wise words that probably should be the beginning of any Boater Safety Course...

"Son a boat is always doing two things, trying to kill you or trying to get away from you!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Optimum II