What do you think about having to be boarded by the NYSDEC while you're out trying enjoy a nice day on the water?

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
While I was fishing the sound yesterday just off Short beach, I watched an NYSDEC team approaching every fishing boat and boarding them. At this time I was drifting very close to a guy and we were chatting up as we both were working the same drift. He shows me the only fish he had all day; it was a good one. It looked about 22-24 inches.

With that, the NYSDEC boat pulls up and I can see and hear everything. When they asked him if he had any fish he told them he had one keeper and when they asked him the length he responded "it's a big one, it didn't need to be measured." They then advised him that all fish should be measured and they proceeded to measure this huge fluke. They then went through every hatch they could find and eventually left.

I truly despise this type of approach as I find it unproductive and very intrusive. I know it's the old if you're not breaking the law there's nothing to be afraid of. I saw that boat from afar. I could have easily thrown any shorts overboard if I was poaching.

I feel this type of checking should be made at the dock or a slip. If people are going to keep shorts that's where you'll find them. I imagine you could see many more boats at the dock and launching sites, and not ruin a nice day on the waters for boaters that have a very short season as it is. Do we need 3-Officers in a dual-engine boat running from boat to boat or would it have more sense to check after they've returned? That's when you catch them. If those guys were at the marina or a launch, it only stands to reason they would find more poachers and not have to waste resources.

I am very pro-police, but I can't help but feel that this is a waste of time for everyone.

Reactions: MOJOE and CELLFISH

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I agree George
But what I also don't like is when then randomly decide who they are going to go after and somehow I'm that randomly decided person because I don't look as clean cut as others out there :p

What bothers me even more is coast guard boardings in early may or late october and they go thru every inch as well.
Here in Shinnecock, as I'm sure its similar to other areas, I see the most ridiculous on water activity during the height of summer by clueless boaters and the coast guard is nowhere to be seen but when I'm one of the few boats around they are instantly attracted to me 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

DamnFish

New Angler
Sep 24, 2021
East Meadow
Love the idea of checking at the dock and not on the water. Besides if they start opening hatches and draws, isn't that really and illegal search, and the NYSDEC could be sued for that. But I'm glad they are checking, I just wish they would check more than the people who look like they can afford the fine

Quick Story - fishing the dock, the Officer walks right past all these other people, who seemed to look the part of the lower socio-economic scale and came right to me at the very end, by passing all the other people

Reactions: MOJOE and george

Bassknuckles

Angler
Jan 15, 2019
I have been boarded 3 or 4 times entering Jones Inlet from the Ocean. They have always been respectful, quick conversation, check of my hatches and off we go. The last time I was boarded I did ask the officer if he could take his boots off as when I was boarded previously they left black sole marks on my boat. He laughed, stayed on his boat and said just open the hatches.

Bassmaster

Well-Known Angler
May 7, 2019
One time we were at the dock cleaning fish and They boarded us and they said what are you doing I said cleaning fish. What kind of fish is that. I said sea robins this is what we are reduced to keeping with the ridiculous 21 inch Fluke regs at that time. Then at that time a fishing license was required and I said in a loud tone I am paying a fishing license for sea robins. That year we targeted sea robins. Was 21 inches and a one or 2 fish limit I think.

Reactions: george and MOJOE

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I have been boarded 3 or 4 times entering Jones Inlet from the Ocean. They have always been respectful, quick conversation, check of my hatches and off we go. The last time I was boarded I did ask the officer if he could take his boots off as when I was boarded previously they left black sole marks on my boat. He laughed, stayed on his boat and said just open the hatches.
I too have always found them to be very rrespectful.

Reactions: MOJOE

AllyKat

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
I I I I

Last month I was boarded. I noticed the boat about a mile away, but didn't think much. About 1/4 mile away I picked it back up as I was reeling up to rebait because it was coming right for us. I made a quick comment to my buddy about someone not paying attention. 5 seconds later I was starting the motors and I said you better hold on as I had my hand on the throttles to get out of the way. Just as I was about to bury them, they made a little course adjustment and came off plane, less than 100 ft from us. That's when I saw DEC on the side. They motored up and boarded and checked, which didn't bother me, but I told them the manner that they came on us had me ready to bolt. I understand the element of surprise, but that seemed dangerous. It reminded me of the video that we have all seen before.

• Wow

WhatKnot

Well-Known Angler
May 18, 2019
Astoria
I was boarded by the CG for a safety inspection one time while I was anchored very close to one of our South Shore Bridges. They tied up to my boat and I respectfully told them I was going to start one OB in case the anchor lost hold. No problem, a very professional encounter.

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
I have been boarded a few times. It was never that big a deal. They came, check safety equipment, fish, then left. They were always polite and professional.

I may be in the minority here; but I think they should continue to do this. I have seen too many fishermen keeping illegal fish. I have also been on boats not carrying to proper safety equipment.

It’s a good thing. I wish they also check piers. Going down to Cedar Beach in Miler Place, it is amazing how many people keep whatever they catch.

Bassmaster

Well-Known Angler
May 7, 2019
I fish on party boats and I have never seen a DEC boat board us. I guess after the passengers leave and the mates are cleaning the boat they check. When we had our boat we cleaned the fish at the dock. My dad would feliet and I would clean the boat the buckets and so fourth. If party boats were to do the same clean the fish at the dock looking at least 2 hours of cleaning fish. Be waiting a long time.

Bassmaster

Well-Known Angler
May 7, 2019
There was another instance that we were not happy with when I had the boat it was early March and there were no boats in the water and we normally go down to the slip to check dock lines and other things. There is DEC we have no fishing poles no gear nothing they ask us are we fishing I said no we are checking the dock lines. So they said where’s your boat i said all my gear is home we are getting work done they didn’t believe me so they came saw there was nothing and we went to do work I turn around and they are standing there staring I think nothing of it we are there working they are still there I ask for Id. They check out I Said I am calling your supervisor then they left was so strange

• Wow

poorrichard

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
I am in my 60's and have been boating for aver 40 years. Been boarded many times.
The DEC was by far the most obnoxious and unprofessional. It's great to see them checking for illegal catches and enforcing Environmental Laws-which is their jurisdiction. However, there is a proper way to stop a boat and check for
violations. The DEC seems to need a refresher course at the academy

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Never happened to me on LI, but almost happened to me in Maine. Was out fishing with the Admiral in early May, which is very, very early for having a boat out up here. I saw a brand, stinking new ME Division of Marine Resources boat running around. It was obvious that this new toy was on a shakedown cruise, around 1/2 a mile a way.

After a bit, I see the boat on a direct intercept course, which wasn't too difficult in that we were the only other boat anywhere on the water. I looked over at my wife and said, "I'll be damned, we're going to be inspected by DMR!! That's a first ever for me!!" I had no qualms in that I had all of the ship's papers in a place I could easily reach since it was so early in the season; come September, those papers are "somewhere" down below.

As the boat pulled up the single DMR person, noticing that we both had PFDs on, he said,

"Good to see you both have lifejackets on! Is that boat registered?" - Interesting question in that I had the proper year's sticker on.

"Yes, you want to see the paperwork?"

"No, I believe you."

"It would only take me a second to get them."

"Nah, that's fine. Have a nice day!!"

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Love the idea of checking at the dock and not on the water. Besides if they start opening hatches and draws, isn't that really and illegal search, and the NYSDEC could be sued for that. But I'm glad they are checking, I just wish they would check more than the people who look like they can afford the fine

Quick Story - fishing the dock, the Officer walks right past all these other people, who seemed to look the part of the lower socio-economic scale and came right to me at the very end, by passing all the other people
regarding "quick story" This officer did not want a 'problem' with "people" who would claim "no english" and carry no ID.
The coward is in the wrong line of work.

Isles81

New Angler
Aug 2, 2022

Last month I was boarded. I noticed the boat about a mile away, but didn't think much. About 1/4 mile away I picked it back up as I was reeling up to rebait because it was coming right for us. I made a quick comment to my buddy about someone not paying attention. 5 seconds later I was starting the motors and I said you better hold on as I had my hand on the throttles to get out of the way. Just as I was about to bury them, they made a little course adjustment and came off plane, less than 100 ft from us. That's when I saw DEC on the side. They motored up and boarded and checked, which didn't bother me, but I told them the manner that they came on us had me ready to bolt. I understand the element of surprise, but that seemed dangerous. It reminded me of the video that we have all seen before.
Where did this happen.. same thing happened to me but alot closer than 100 feet

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Reminds me of the old State Parkway (Parks?) Police that used to "enforce" Jones Beach in the late 60s early 70s. Brutal beatings that I saw and was "convinced" not to bring it to "higher"on teens over a joint. When they merged with the State Troopers many could not pass the pyschological tests and ended up as mall guards or what have you somewhere. Same thing with some of the DEC guys ?