What happened to 1 foot or less?

Area: Inshore

Jan 1, 2019
Wasted away in Margaritaville.
After my attempted trip to Montauk last weekend and then spending a couple of days during the week to repair the HPDI oil system on my motor, I also went and cleaned the motor up with engine gunk, it was loaded with 2 cylce oil from me trying to fill the small reserve tank, I covered the intake ports with clear plastic and tape, sprayed the motor, let it sit for awhile and then rinsed off, took my air hose and blew the rest of the water off the engine, looks brand new now lol.

My son and I made plans to head out yesterday morning at 6:30 am.
Marine weather report was 5 to 10 east winds changing over to SE in the afternoon, 1 foot or less, I should have known better.

We launched the boar at 6:30 and I crossed my fingers when I turned the ignition to start the engine, it sputtered a little bit then went right into idling.
It was very over cast and was not looking good, we headed east towards New Haven, sea's were 2 feet easily with a 3 thrown in for good measure.

We made it to Hew Haven and then turned around, we decided to try the Housatonic river and headed to Stratford, we headed in towards the old dock and started to troll deadly dicks, we were hooking up with small bass in the 12" range so I stopped, the treble hooks were doing a job on their mouths.

It was decided we would head out to Middle Ground light and see what was going on, on arrival we came across a small school of blues, we stayed with them for about a half hour, they were almost cookie cutter fish about 3 lbs, nice fight on light tackle, we moved inside the east can and started drifting squid hoping for some nice cbass, we were catching porgies to 14 inches, and occasional cbass, all under size, then the blues showed up again and we were getting break offs because we were only using 15lb test leaders.
The wind shifted but it didn't lay down like they said, at about 2 pm we decided to troll deadly dicks back to Milford, after an hour of trolling, not one hit, reeled in and headed to the barn.

The good thing about yesterday, the motor ran flawlessly, I have now put together a repair kit with every filter. gas and oil filter the engine needs, also spark plugs, tools and a turkey baster to siphon oil out of the main oil tank just in case, you never know.
Here's hoping for a great fall run.
Jay

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
(y)(y) on your engine repairs!!

I don't think any of us actually trust NOAA's forecast. The "best" wind forecaster is ZyGrib and even then you need to read those data with an updated weather map, historical experience and a lb of salt. With the local fire, I've lost my final weather check using the now ashes Sea Gull Shop's lighthouse and surf webcams for a local real time weather eye.

And then again, the beauty of retirement and boat sitting behind the house is being able to make game decisions and audibles based on the reality of the given time of day...

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
After my attempted trip to Montauk last weekend and then spending a couple of days during the week to repair the HPDI oil system on my motor, I also went and cleaned the motor up with engine gunk, it was loaded with 2 cylce oil from me trying to fill the small reserve tank, I covered the intake ports with clear plastic and tape, sprayed the motor, let it sit for awhile and then rinsed off, took my air hose and blew the rest of the water off the engine, looks brand new now lol.

My son and I made plans to head out yesterday morning at 6:30 am.
Marine weather report was 5 to 10 east winds changing over to SE in the afternoon, 1 foot or less, I should have known better.

We launched the boar at 6:30 and I crossed my fingers when I turned the ignition to start the engine, it sputtered a little bit then went right into idling.
It was very over cast and was not looking good, we headed east towards New Haven, sea's were 2 feet easily with a 3 thrown in for good measure.

We made it to Hew Haven and then turned around, we decided to try the Housatonic river and headed to Stratford, we headed in towards the old dock and started to troll deadly dicks, we were hooking up with small bass in the 12" range so I stopped, the treble hooks were doing a job on their mouths.

It was decided we would head out to Middle Ground light and see what was going on, on arrival we came across a small school of blues, we stayed with them for about a half hour, they were almost cookie cutter fish about 3 lbs, nice fight on light tackle, we moved inside the east can and started drifting squid hoping for some nice cbass, we were catching porgies to 14 inches, and occasional cbass, all under size, then the blues showed up again and we were getting break offs because we were only using 15lb test leaders.
The wind shifted but it didn't lay down like they said, at about 2 pm we decided to troll deadly dicks back to Milford, after an hour of trolling, not one hit, reeled in and headed to the barn.

The good thing about yesterday, the motor ran flawlessly, I have now put together a repair kit with every filter. gas and oil filter the engine needs, also spark plugs, tools and a turkey baster to siphon oil out of the main oil tank just in case, you never know.
Here's hoping for a great fall run.
Jay
Saturday was nasty. Got our brains beat in. They were way off as usual.

Glad you got the engine situation sorted.

AllyKat

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
I I I I
You might want to start your own HPDI repair shop in your future:D
Glad you got them running well again. Don't forget your friends on the other side of the flat calm Sound when you are ready to repower:LOL::LOL:. I'm going to be tied up with travel softball for the next bunch of weekends, so I am eyeing my return to the salt when Tog opens up. Keep the reports coming..some of us live vicariously through them.

Jan 1, 2019
Wasted away in Margaritaville.
Hey Drew, you may have something there,;) NOT!! HPDI, I know's there an acronym in there somewhere.
Most of my research has been on THT, most wish they never heard of HPDI lol
My younger son is now busy with taking his younger son to soccer practices, Zac is turning 16 in a month, he's 6' 2" tall and built like a tank, I told him now is the time to start pumping iron, he has one more growth spurt to go.
I use to feel tall, now all my grandsons are taller than me, I'm 6"1" they are all over 6'2", I keep asking my son, are you sure those are your kids.:D
Good luck with the baseball, it's my favorite sport.
Jay

AllyKat

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
I I I I
Thanks Jay...yes, I used to be the tallest in my family, but now my 13 y/o son is about to shoot right past me any day now.
Baseball used to be my favorite, now its fastpitch softball which both my girls play..the oldest is now going to Pace for nursing and is on the softball team as C/3b. I will be travelling up to CT this weekend with my younger daughter (Pitcher) who is a junior in HS to a showcase in Hartford. The game is so much faster than regular 60/90, double plays are a rarity and the pitching is unreal. There is no time for bobbles, or showboating or indecision...love it. I will be up and down the tri state area and PA every weekend up until Halloween, at which time I'm hoping the togs will be waiting for me.

Staff online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamesjcurryjr