What Not to Do...

KayakFisherman

Angler
Author
Feb 10, 2019
It's not surprising that this holiday weekend brought an influx of fishermen to our East End's local spots. The pandemic alone had generated an increase in the number of folks populating the bridges, jetties, and waterways out here. I am surprised to see how ill-prepared many of them are for what they're attempting to do. Last night a voice out of the darkness beneath Ponquogue bridge called to me to ask if I had been catching. It was a guy in a tiny sit-in kayak with no spray skirt (to prevent one big wave from filling it) and NO LIGHTS either on himself or his kayak. I was disappointed, because it ends up reflecting on all of us who fish from kayaks at night and draws unwanted negative attention from the coast guard, who have enough to do without having to rescue people who have made no effort to keep themselves safe.

That's where being in a kayak fishing organization can really help a person get started. And I' seeing a LOT of people who are obviously just getting started. Joining a club would hopefully prevent them, through peer pressure, from showing up on scene in such a stupid fashion. I left. There is no room for errors like that. I've seen over 50 Memorial Day weekends out here and I know how it ends.

Reactions: BennyV

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Sometimes ya just can't fix stupid. Let the Darwin Awardees be. Although I admit to wearing the green for a long time, I am not a joiner. However I did do a lot of research when I started kayaking in 2005. ( I never did get what good a sit in is though.) Was that idiot at least wearing a PFD which sooner or later he will probably need?

KayakFisherman

Angler
Author
Feb 10, 2019
He was, which made me wonder how he could have overlooked the obvious need for lighting at night, if for no other reason than to see what you're doing. Interestingly, however, I was working near Tiana Bay and watched a guy outfitted for fishing, by himself, and without a PFD.

So much can go wrong that you cannot anticipate that you must have redundant measures for the important stuff. I have a rigorous safety check that I follow every time I launch, and I keep my equipment well maintained, and still circumstances can arise that cannot be anticipated. The other night I got both gloves (the teflon finger fabric) snagged on a single treble hook and had to steer myself out of a hard-running currrent between concrete pilings while essentially handcuffed, (until I got them off and recovered). You have to assume that each night could be great or that it could go very wrong.

My motto has always been "Be prepared for complete success and utter failure."

Reactions: pequa1

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Being that I’m in the same area as KF I see the same sort of head scratching ignorance far too often. I see guys in kayaks trying to navigate the middle of the Ponquogue bridge in The main channel in a screaming current during busy high traffic boat times. I make every effort to give them as much room as possible and throw as little wake as possible but then some other clueless person in a boat won’t give such courtesy.

I always wonder why they cant move over a few pilings north or south to get out of traffic??

KayakFisherman

Angler
Author
Feb 10, 2019
Last night I fished the bridge in foggy windy conditions until sunrise this morning. I went home, slept and woke to find messages on my phone inquiring about my wellbeing because a kayak with a bass still attached to it washed up in Shinnecock inlet this morning.

Like I said. I know how it ends.

Reactions: Macks

Macks

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Last night I fished the bridge in foggy windy conditions until sunrise this morning. I went home, slept and woke to find messages on my phone inquiring about my wellbeing because a kayak with a bass still attached to it washed up in Shinnecock inlet this morning.

Like I said. I know how it ends.
He was found safe,said the seas got big so he beached it and then it got swept out to sea..

KayakFisherman

Angler
Author
Feb 10, 2019
Thank God.

The number one cause of kayak fatalities is not heeding the weather/conditions. It got lumpy last night.

Macks

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Thank God.

The number one cause of kayak fatalities is not heeding the weather/conditions. It got lumpy last night.
Absolutely,or boat,always check the forecast first even tho there often wrong,it's a no brainer and plus it's a whole different game at night..

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOBBYBB1949