When was the last time we had a Spring Mackerel season off Long Island ?

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Seems so long ago . I remember we had great winter mackerel fishing about 4 or 5 years ago. They were right outside South Shore Inlets for several months. The last time I went Mackerel fishing in the Spring was in the late 1990's . The DEC said they changed their migration ???
I remember fabulous mackerel fishing right outside Oyster Bay Harbor in the 1970's / Early 1980's.
You wonder why we never see them in the Spring anymore.

poorrichard

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Mid April to late May when I was a kid. All off the south shore. See the old party boat ads from the 60,'s and 70's.

It used to be so good the Sheepshead Bay fleet would sail up the East River to catch them in Western sound. This was usually around Memorial Day Weekend. Then they would move too far east in the sound to make that trip worthwhile.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Seems so long ago . I remember we had great winter mackerel fishing about 4 or 5 years ago. They were right outside South Shore Inlets for several months. The last time I went Mackerel fishing in the Spring was in the late 1990's . The DEC said they changed their migration ???
I remember fabulous mackerel fishing right outside Oyster Bay Harbor in the 1970's / Early 1980's.
You wonder why we never see them in the Spring anymore.
That is one complicated question packed with so many unknowns. I have been looking into this and many experts agree that we are seeing a mass migration and transformation for marine fisheries we have seen since keeping records. I'm working on a special podcast on this very issue.

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
In the early 80s I used to catch Mackerel casting from the rock jetty at the end of the Throggs Neck peninsula on the SUNY Maritime College campus. "Boston" Mackerel, not the Chubb Mackerel.

The last time I got any spring time "Boston" Mackerel south of Jones Inlet was about 2000 or 2001.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Crap I left LI in 1983 and the last time we had a Spring Season around PJ/Miller Place was in the late 70s. Used to go out with a lightweight FW spinning rig with 6lb mono and a 1/4 oz Kastmaster. After 50 macks my wrist would be shot, and the neighbor hood smokers were all full...

Jillybird

New Angler
Apr 10, 2019
About ten years ago there was an old time run for a couple of weeks off the south shore in the winter. I took my son and some of his friends when they were young teens. They experienced what I enjoyed as a kid. It was great and then never again.

Reactions: george and WhatKnot

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
So Speaking of mackerel . . . here's a release from NOAA today. In it, they admit that overfishing is occurring so they're going to lower the com quota to 5k pounds a day. At the same time, they admit that it remains overfished and overfishing actually increased slightly.

Just think about the statement below. They are basically saying that the fishery is overfished so they tried to reduce the catch which resulted in even more overfishing. So now they're reducing it to 5k a day! Just shut the damn thing down before you lose it all.

NOAA Fisheries Announces Atlantic Mackerel Fishery Closure​

NOAA Fisheries is closing the limited access Atlantic mackerel fishery in federal waters through the end of the fishing year on December 31, 2021.

Effective at 0001 hour on October 15, 2021, vessels are prohibited from fishing for or landing more than 5,000 lb of Atlantic mackerel per trip in or from federal waters through December 31, 2021. Vessels may not land Atlantic mackerel more than once per calendar day.

The most recent management track assessment from the Northeast Fisheries Science Center concluded that the species remains overfished and overfishing increased slightly. We are implementing this closure to minimize additional catch for the remainder of the current fishing year.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrT