Which boat for $125k

Fishscale

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
Looking to upgrade to 24-27ft CC

I’ve been looking at the Wellcraft 262 fisherman or Robalo 242 which seem to fit in the range but not familiar with these boats?

Looking for recommendations on a CC within the given budget doesn’t have to be those?

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
I have a Sea Hunt very good riding hull ..well made ..after owing three grady's a sea pro all junk IMO & an old mako ..best outboard boat I have owned..

but if I were to own one boat a twin diesel inboard would be my first choice ..love my 32 Albemarle

Reactions: Fishscale

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
How much are they asking for a mid-sized Cobia? The build quality is excellent on these boats for the money asked, as the new owners (probably running the show there for the last 8 years or so) are dedicated to building quality. I think they also build the Maverick FW bass boats These new clean-sheet design Cobias are nothing like the Cobias of old. Worth a look.

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
remember most boat are trade off's ..Unless you have a cool million or more to design your own..

What most important to you ..Cabin ? ride ? drift ? family fun ? fishing ? cockpit room vs seating & cabin space...Power & drive..

I have owned & driven just about every boat type under 40' there is...and there are great differences even in boat that may look the same & different boats from the same company's

try & find a 26 regulator and ride in one if you want an outboard boat..and than compare it to how others ride

Take a ride on a 32 albemarle and do the same,,you can fine many in your price range..

they are Two of the best riding hulls in there class..

down east I not a big lover of them ,,,drove & fished several they rock & pound ..But there are some really nice ones ...but not sure you can find one in your price range...

love the 36 Duffy ..Holland is a beast..

good luck dont rush it ,,take your time & ride on as many boats as you can before buying one..

when I was looking for an over 30' diesel last boat I wanted was a Albemarle till I rode on one in a tight 4' sea ,,

Stevepanther

New Angler
Apr 5, 2019
I will keep my eyes open. A wise man once told me all boats are for sale just make an offer. The way the market is a lot of boats do not get listed and theones that do have benn passed over a bunch of times. I will let you know if i see anything in that range.

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Rick - I saw that boat on YouTube. Nice looking rig, but almost zero storage room on it. Like none. I don't think the finisher took that into consideration. Look here:

And by the way, I wonder what other 26' Pilot house boat he used as inspiration for the design of that house. Hmmm, looks veddy familiar . . .

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Will the roof support a valise? Or maybe an American Tourister piece of luggage? :p

Not so sexy when you have no place to put all the stuff three or four guys typically bring aboard - except all over the deck. Not to mention your boat's life jackets, tool kit, spare engine parts and personal tackle.

Maybe turning one or both of those wet bilge holds into dry storage would help. But that involves more construction modifications and fiber glassing, not to mention an upgrade in the type of hatches OEM'ed onto that boat. If the owner is not capable of performing this type of work (and honestly, few are), Figure $15K for a yard to do it, plus another $10-15K in electronics, ground tackle, and maybe a Terrova trolling motor (more $$$ and electrical complexity) - and then you would have something worth calling a fishing rig. Right now I couldn't really consider it a viable fisherman.

Maybe a solution would be a "coffin box" on the foredeck - but those cost good money as well, and then the two holds would be obstructed. No easy solutions here.

Not to mention that the provided engine already has 1700 hours on it, with only a very small allowance for purchasing the boat without the engine. Figure another what? $30K for a 300hp anything, rigged?? Yeah, there's better deals out there. But it really does look sexy, I agree - just from a distance.

Fishscale

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
This 25' Northern Bay Downeast new build with slightly used 300 Suzy outboard is listed on Downeast Boat Forum, to me this is a gorgeous boat. I believe the ask is 85K.
I’m not familiar with these boats but it looks solid the more I look at it

If you happen to have the link I’d like to check out more I couldn’t find on the site

Fishscale

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
Rick - I saw that boat on YouTube. Nice looking rig, but almost zero storage room on it. Like none. I don't think the finisher took that into consideration. Look here:

And by the way, I wonder what other 26' Pilot house boat he used as inspiration for the design of that house. Hmmm, looks veddy familiar . . this is straight business no hoarding

And by the way, I wonder what other 26' Pilot house boat he used as inspiration for the design of that house. Hmmm, looks veddy familiar . . .
Now that I get to see the inside this boat is straight business no hoarding or horseplay ✊

Reactions: Stevepanther

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
saw an older Pursuit 28 CC the other day..what a nice boat...I saw a 30ft CC with twin yami 4strokes under 80k ..

when I make my move to the keys its on my list ..

NoFlukenName

Angler
Apr 1, 2019
Sadly, 125 doesn’t get you a lot today but I’d choose Robalo over the Welcraft, even though slightly smaller. Will ride much better in my opinion.

Lep mentioned Cobia and again, if it were my money, that’s the direction I’d go. I owned a 2015 25 for 3 years (anything post 2005 is built by Maverick) and man, was that a great riding boat with tons of storage and just some really well thought out features. At the 2020 Miami Boat Show, their 28 with twin 200s was selling for 150k. One can only dream of prices like that now.

Lep, that’s my video you posted - I love that Northern Bay but yes, storage is greatly lacking. Those lines though.....

Reactions: Fluke Whisperer

Fishscale

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
Sadly, 125 doesn’t get you a lot today but I’d choose Robalo over the Welcraft, even though slightly smaller. Will ride much better in my opinion.

Lep mentioned Cobia and again, if it were my money, that’s the direction I’d go. I owned a 2015 25 for 3 years (anything post 2005 is built by Maverick) and man, was that a great riding boat with tons of storage and just some really well thought out features. At the 2020 Miami Boat Show, their 28 with twin 200s was selling for 150k. One can only dream of prices like that now.

Lep, that’s my video you posted - I love that Northern Bay but yes, storage is greatly lacking. Those lines though.....
Is the northern bay still available…

Fishscale

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
How much are they asking for a mid-sized Cobia? The build quality is excellent on these boats for the money asked, as the new owners (probably running the show there for the last 8 years or so) are dedicated to building quality. I think they also build the Maverick FW bass boats These new clean-sheet design Cobias are nothing like the Cobias of old. Worth a look.
I saw the 24 cobia cc at the NY boat show over the wknd and the boat special price was $125k normally $140k loaded just to get an idea of where pricing is now. I called the cobia dealer in Li today and they said $130k and the only one they getting this year

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
njpdlstar