Will the DEC ever build a boat launching ramp on Peconic Bay ????

Pangaroo

New Angler
Jan 15, 2021
I've been following this for a while and still no ramp. Somebody donated land to the State for them to build a Boat Ramp and the State used money from fishing funds( not state money) for part of the purchase. 12 years ago they purchased this land . I contacted the DEC in Stony Brook and asked about the ramp about 2 years ago and they said they're waiting for bids .Drove by there recently and still no construction. The new ramp site is right next to Port Of Egypt so you know what's going on. It's like up in Lake George, they don't build a ramp that competes with a private ramp. They got a beautiful boat ramp in Lake George Village.They close the ramp from Memorial Day to Labor Day so everybody has to pay to launch at private ramps. If Peconic Bay was upstate they'd have 5 state ramps .

Reactions: MOJOE

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
The jamesport ramp is still a good ramp, but you need a town of Riverhead parking permit....John

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I think at some point the DEC did turn it over to the town because in addition to a town parking permit, you need a town launch ramp permit. For us old goats they are only $5 for each I don’t know off hand what the regular resident or non resident permits cost.......John

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
The jamesport ramp is still a good ramp, but you need a town of Riverhead parking permit....John
Sad, access to LI is getting nuts. Hope that plague never spreads up here. Maine has ramps, albeit of varying degrees of quality, all around the state, and with the exception of a few at state parks, you don't need NOTHING to use them; to use the ones in the parks you need to pay the state park entrance fee.

Besides the state ramps, most towns have ramps also, and none of the ones near me require parking permits or fees. I looked really stupid when I moved up here and asked about purchasing a town parking sticker. The person I asked laughed. The town next to me has one of best ramps I've ever used period and is my go-to ramp. Totally useable at any tide, great pitch and a nice, long finger. Here's hoping that things turn around for all of you sometime. Regrettably, it seems there are only 2 chances of that, slim and none.

Goosepoint

New Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I noticed that they started construction for the new ramp next to Port of Egypt in November. By the looks of it I would assume it would be done by Spring, but this is a government operation...

Reactions: george and Pangaroo

Pangaroo

New Angler
Jan 15, 2021
I noticed that they started construction for the new ramp next to Port of Egypt in November. By the looks of it I would assume it would be done by Spring, but this is a government operation...
Thanks for the new information. Finally it's coming!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed they build it big enough and they don't give it away to save money.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I'm guessing it's on the property just to the east where the Seafood Barge restaurant was?

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Was by there the other day, looks like the fishing pier is done, still a crane on site. Hard to tell from the road, but looks like lots of work to do, I think I saw in print somewhere they are looking to be open by the 1st or 2nd week in July.
John

poorrichard

New Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Last I saw only parking for 33 cars/trailers. Going to need more parking

They were shooting for a Memorial Day Weekend opening with the back up date of July 4th

Keep your fingers crossed.

BTW: There should also be a push for a ramp at Orient State Park. It is needed now that Orient by the sea ramp is closed to the public

Fishing Nerd

New Angler
Apr 3, 2019
It looks like it's been moving along nicely after getting postponed due to the pandemic last year. I'm hoping that it'll be ready at some point this year, although having seen it a couple of weeks ago I doubt that's any time before July 4th.

What would be awesome is if that DEC site on the sound in Oysterponds got an actual ramp instead of that halfassed concrete slab, but that might be asking too much.

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I think except for a 14/16' tin boat, no matter what they would due to the ramp at Oysterponds would be a real crap shoot without some kind of breakwater which I don't see ever happening. You could launch that ramp on a nice flat day, & while you are out if any kind of wind comes up from the north it would be a real adventure, to say the least, trying to get a boat back on the trailer. Don't forget the ramp itself faces north, & is wide open to the sound which can get nautical.
John

Reactions: Fishing Nerd

Fishing Nerd

New Angler
Apr 3, 2019
I think except for a 14/16' tin boat, no matter what they would due to the ramp at Oysterponds would be a real crap shoot without some kind of breakwater which I don't see ever happening. You could launch that ramp on a nice flat day, & while you are out if any kind of wind comes up from the north it would be a real adventure, to say the least, trying to get a boat back on the trailer. Don't forget the ramp itself faces north, & is wide open to the sound which can get nautical.
John
That's a fair point. It would take quite a bit of work to turn it into a true ramp for a larger boat, not a glorified kayak ramp (although I have seen people launch boats up to 21' when the tide is slack and when there's no wind).

There's an actual ramp in Mattituck, but it's just far enough from me in Greenport to make me question whether it's worth taking the ride west to launch right into the sound or whether to swing around Orient Point. There's also the ramp at the marina in Orient but once was enough for me there.

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elrockk