Will the DEC ever build a boat launching ramp on Peconic Bay ????

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
NY needs 2 or 3 ramps on Peconic Bay. They pay nothing for the ramp, it's paid with fishing fund money , so why did it take 10 years for them to build this new ramp ? Port of Egypt next door is the answer , NY will never build a boat ramp that competes with a private marina ramp. I bet the last 10 years they were going back and forth arguing with the Port Of Egypts out there to get that ramp built and They probably limited the parking to 30 cars so POE can get over flow parking. I see the game they play up in Lake George. They built a State Boat Ramp at Million Dollar Beach at the South End of Lake George in the village. They close the ramp Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day and you can't launch and take your boat to a hotel ( you also park the trailer at the hotel also ). So why would NY close the Boat Ramp on Memorial Day Weekend ???

Nontypical

New Angler
May 5, 2020
I highly doubt Port of Egypt had anything to do with it. In fact, I thought the POE ramp was no longer open to the public anyway. And as far as parking for 30, there is limited space there. How many do you really think they would be able to squeeze in there?
On another note, I passed there yesterday and it appears that they are just about finished. They had just a little bit of dirt left to remove on the landscaped side and everything else looked ready to go. The lot is paved and marked. They were in the process of getting equipment out of there yesterday. It should be any day now.

Reactions: longcast

poorrichard

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
They need to build a ramp in Orient State Park. Orient by the Sea has closed the ramp so there is no ramp nearby to launch a boat.
NY State owns the park, so it should not be all that difficult to build a boat ramp on their own property.

I know, I know It's NY State Parks and NY State DEC would need to agree

Where are our local politicians?

Reactions: Roccus7

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
They need to build a ramp in Orient State Park. Orient by the Sea has closed the ramp so there is no ramp nearby to launch a boat.
NY State owns the park, so it should not be all that difficult to build a boat ramp on their own property.

I know, I know It's NY State Parks and NY State DEC would need to agree

Where are our local politicians?
It's a disgrace this is the first state ramp on Peconic Bay. The new ramp didn't cost them a dime and it took them 10 years . Probably the most popular fishing bay on Long Island and it took them this long to get one built ?
Re: a new ramp at Orient State Park, they have the land available , a new ramp will be fully funded with fishing fund money , so why aren't they building a new ramp at that park ??? For years I heard non sense from the State that they couldn't afford to buy expensive Long Island land for a boat ramp . Special interests out there are blocking new boat ramps out there. I can't think of any other reason why they aren't building ramps out there. Guaranteed they'll have people collecting $10 parking fees all summer out at that ramp and the upstaters can use boat ramps for nothing on many lakes upstate. I hope some lawyer /fisherman sues the state and makes them sign an agreement the ramp will never be given to the Town of Southold for them to operate. I hate being so negative, but come on ! Considering how popular Peconic Bay is, how big the Long Island population is, to have not had a state boat ramp there ever is an absolute disgrace. Tiny lakes upstate have 2 or 3 state ramps .
That other fishing magazine did nothing to help as usual.

• Wow
Reactions: Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
It's a disgrace this is the first state ramp on Peconic Bay. The new ramp didn't cost them a dime and it took them 10 years . Probably the most popular fishing bay on Long Island and it took them this long to get one built ?
Re: a new ramp at Orient State Park, they have the land available , a new ramp will be fully funded with fishing fund money , so why aren't they building a new ramp at that park ??? For years I heard non sense from the State that they couldn't afford to buy expensive Long Island land for a boat ramp . Special interests out there are blocking new boat ramps out there. I can't think of any other reason why they aren't building ramps out there. Guaranteed they'll have people collecting $10 parking fees all summer out at that ramp and the upstaters can use boat ramps for nothing on many lakes upstate. I hope some lawyer /fisherman sues the state and makes them sign an agreement the ramp will never be given to the Town of Southold for them to operate. I hate being so negative, but come on ! Considering how popular Peconic Bay is, how big the Long Island population is, to have not had a state boat ramp there ever is an absolute disgrace. Tiny lakes upstate have 2 or 3 state ramps .
That other fishing magazine did nothing to help as usual.
Jeesh.
It looks like a beautiful ramp in an ideal spot that's within easy reach of western and eastern portions of the bay.
If you want access to peconic bay, you just got it. Go use it

live bait

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
WOW!
Looks pretty nice
Thats a great spot to be able to go west towards Robin's Island or further east and have access to everything in between.
Do you need to register for a permit or is NYS license plate on your vehicle and trailer good enough?
No permit or anything required, just drive in & use it. I don't know what the rules are, but their are no signs that state a NY registered vehicle is required, I have never seen a sign regarding NY residents at the DEC ramp in mattituck, & have seen NJ cars there.
John

poorrichard

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Stopped by today. The site and ramp are beautiful. Seems to be some additional land that could be used for parking.
Having only 33 spots for cars and trailer are a concern.

Some of the site is still being developed. There is a wash down station that is not operational yet.

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Jeesh.
It looks like a beautiful ramp in an ideal spot that's within easy reach of western and eastern portions of the bay.
If you want access to peconic bay, you just got it. Go use it
Maybe if I lived out there and had town ramps to use I wouldn't be so angry. Every non Resident feels just like me, frustrated they never had a State Ramp on Peconic Bay . They partnered with towns out there to build ramps and after 20 years the towns took control and kept non residents out. Put yourself in my shoes.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Maybe if I lived out there and had town ramps to use I wouldn't be so angry. Every non Resident feels just like me, frustrated they never had a State Ramp on Peconic Bay . They partnered with towns out there to build ramps and after 20 years the towns took control and kept non residents out. Put yourself in my shoes.
I hear you but this looks like a pretty nice brand new facility in a great spot so why not focus on going and using it and get out on the water and see how it goes??

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
Finally got a chance to make use of the ramp(s). Nice set up. Wash down is not set up yet but hopefully soon. In the way of a report.... Blues up top.. Early am. And porgies the only thing responding to my clam baits throughout the day (and micro sea bass). Basically across the Road from Port of Egypt

Reactions: longcast and george

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrT