Will the DEC ever build a boat launching ramp on Peconic Bay ????

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Finally got a chance to see the new State Ramp and it's really nice. But why is there a park next to the ramp with Benches ? Wouldn't that be good land for additional parking spaces ? I hate being so negative , but it looks like the state made all kinds of concessions to appease the special interests out there , limit the parking so Port of Egypt doesn't get hurt ( they charge $450 a month for boat and trailer to launch and park-wonder if that influenced the state ? ) and putting in benches for the Town Residents to sit on and view the bay. I bet it's another State/Town purchase and the town takes control someday.
I hope a lawyer /fisherman gets involved and reads the State Contract and see what the state agreed to. NYS has a nasty habit of partnering with local towns to build things and then after 20 years the property gets turned over to the town and they run it. Seen it so many times. Norman Klipp Park in Southold and the Jamesport State Ramp were state/town partnerships and after 20 years the town took control of the ramps and non residents couldn't launch there anymore.

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Sad, access to LI is getting nuts. Hope that plague never spreads up here. Maine has ramps, albeit of varying degrees of quality, all around the state, and with the exception of a few at state parks, you don't need NOTHING to use them; to use the ones in the parks you need to pay the state park entrance fee.

Besides the state ramps, most towns have ramps also, and none of the ones near me require parking permits or fees. I looked really stupid when I moved up here and asked about purchasing a town parking sticker. The person I asked laughed. The town next to me has one of best ramps I've ever used period and is my go-to ramp. Totally useable at any tide, great pitch and a nice, long finger. Here's hoping that things turn around for all of you sometime. Regrettably, it seems there are only 2 chances of that, slim and none.
Would be nice if all the towns on LI had agreements that allowed non residents to launch during the week for a small fee like $20 or so. Maybe the State can cover the maintenance costs/construction costs. The Town of Hempstead has a ramp at Point Lookout and no restrictions at all. Non residents can use the ramp free of charge anytime they want. I see other towns and the way they go out of their way to keep non residents out. If other towns let non residents launch I wouldn't mind if TOH didn't charge. Every Summer when the fishing stinks on the North Shore they flock over to the South Shore to fish. It's fishermen who lived in Western LI who retired out to Eastern LI and they want the Bays out there all to themselves. When the Bay is empty during the week , it's just selfish to keep non residents out. The North Shore towns have the same attitude . The people in Maine got it right. You think during the week all the boating businesses out there and the North Shore would want more non residents boating ? Again, it's the selfish people who move there from the West End and they want those areas all to themselves. I wouldn't be complaining about this if the state thought of the citizens first and put ramps all over LI. Every time the citizens demand a new ramp the residents nearby and the businesses always get their way and get sweet heart deals that benefit them long term. It took 12 years for NYS to build it's first ramp on Peconic Bay, and the land and construction costs were either donated or paid with fishing fund money. Why 12 years ? I wanna see the Contract they signed to build that new ramp. I don't trust the DEC at all. There's a boat ramp in Lake George Village , they close the ramp from memorial day weekend to labor day. Only the locals use that ramp. I saw what they did up there, with the Jamesport ramp, the Norman Klipp Ramp and now I see how much input the Town of Southold had in building the new ramp and I'm suspicious what the state agreed to. 1/2 the land is a park with park benches and only 30 parking spots ?

Last edited:

Nontypical

New Angler
May 5, 2020
And I’ll just throw this out there since it may very well have had an influence in the design of the boat ramp. The town of Southold has a lot coverage ordinance of 20%. So not more than 20% of a lot can have a structure or be paved. I know this is for residential, and it very well may pertain to commercial as well, I’m not sure. I don’t see why it wouldn’t, but I’m not well versed on all of the town codes here. I just enjoy what I have and try not to sweat the small stuff. I think it’s a great thing that they finally opened the ramp and it’s great for the community.

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
And I’ll just throw this out there since it may very well have had an influence in the design of the boat ramp. The town of Southold has a lot coverage ordinance of 20%. So not more than 20% of a lot can have a structure or be paved. I know this is for residential, and it very well may pertain to commercial as well, I’m not sure. I don’t see why it wouldn’t, but I’m not well versed on all of the town codes here. I just enjoy what I have and try not to sweat the small stuff. I think it’s a great thing that they finally opened the ramp and it’s great for the community.
The State could've gotten a Variance to pave over that piece of land, especially considering it was for the benefit of everybody. What about Hospitals, Town Halls.?It all comes down to them not wanting non residents out there and no real competition with the marinas out there with launching ramps. Port of Egypt ,next to this ramp , charges $250 a month to launch a Boat at their ramp /$400 to launch and park. I'm sure they complained , don't have too many parking spaces.
Years and years people wanted a Boat Ramp at Captree State Park. The Party Boats Blocked that and I'm sure it was the same deal with this new ramp. The nerve of NYS to use taxpayer money to Build a Boat Launching ramp at the South end of Lake George and shut it down between Memorial Day and Labor Day when the Down staters are there with their boats. Opens up when they go home. I'll remember that for the rest of my life and will never trust the State to do anything for the average Joe.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I'd be hard pressed to think there would be more than 30 boats launching and trailers parked there on any given day.
If there were, it would be such a sh** show I wouldn't wanna be there anyway.
I don't mean to pile on you but stop complaining and go use the ramp once the weather allows and get in some relaxation!!(y)(y)

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
I'd be hard pressed to think there would be more than 30 boats launching and trailers parked there on any given day.
If there were, it would be such a sh** show I wouldn't wanna be there anyway.
I don't mean to pile on you but stop complaining and go use the ramp once the weather allows and get in some relaxation!!(y)(y)
Although I fully understand his sentiment, I tend to agree with you. If any souls were sold, it's already a done deal. We all need to be more proactive and vigilant next go around (depending on your interests of course). That said, If I only have 20 years of use.... I intend to fish it as hard as I can for the next 19 years

Reactions: george and Chinacat

live bait

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Haven’t noticed a fish cleaning station, but the DEC generally does not install one. I think they consider the disposal of the racks is a messy problem…….John

Members online

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slappy