Winter Bibs & Jacket

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
What's everyone's go to for winter apparel? I realized quickly last year that my Helly Hansen skins really aren't great in October/ November.

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
Grundens all the way. My old bibs must be at least 15 years old, got a few patches, but still keep me clean and dry. Only downside is no fly.

Also have a Grundens combo Fleece/Oilskin Top. A little bulky but very warm on the coldest of days. On the in between days when a layered sweatshirt will do my arms are covered with the Grunden's Sleeves. Keeps the arms dry and free of all the crab guts!!

125mbtog.png112720captfranktog.jpg

Togilator

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
The point of skins are to keep you dry,block the wind and slime off you.They don't exactly keep you warm but blocking the wind is 1/2 the battle.I wear the my standard midweight Grundens 116 clipper skins into February Togging.The heavy duty skins cause me Neck and shoulder pain so I do not where them anymore.I pair the skins with a flexible midweight grundens Gage fish on or charter jacket.My body isn't as strong as it once was and I got a neck shoulder issue from 35 years in the swimming pool business.The heavier skins really are just more durable,not any warmer.For me its all how I layer underneath my skins.Theres a ton of options in clothing these days. Grundens and Guy Cotten has a massive amount of choices in Jackets and skins no matter whether you want to go light or heavy.

If you wanted a heavy duty thicker skins the Guy Cotten North sea Bibs are excellent.If you wanted even heavier go with the X-trapper skins.Ive owned them both and they are both super thick and durable.Just too heavy for my liking these days.

Also another option would be the Stormr STRYKER bibs and jackets.Honestly think that may be to warm for October/November as my friends that use the Storm-R clothing do not usually break them out to early December.

Hope this helps...

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Having gone thru pairs of Hellys and Aqua Skin Bibs in the past 25 or so years, I've moved on to a pair of Guy Cotten mid-weights (what they term "mid-weight" anyway). I agree with Togilator, the heavier types of Bibs are not really necessary, unless you're planning to work on a trawler or scallop boat.

The GCs I chose include a velcro-ed fly. Why? Because I drink too much coffee and that plus being 67 years old now and a Prostate Cancer survivor means that I have to drop my bibs often enough that having a fly is a great convenience.

My old Aqua Skins also were chosen because of this. However those turned out to be less than robust, needing multiple trips to my clothes cleaner/tailor for repairs to opened-up sewn seams and fabric tears. No Bueno. They've now been relegated to "boat bottom pressure-washing duty," once my baby comes home, Christmas week.

Topside I wear a set of poly thermals of unknown origin, then a mid-weight wool shirt From L.L. Bean, then a LLB "fisherman's wool" pull-over sweater, which I guess means that the wool isn't fully treated to remove the lanolin - making it slightly "sheepy" smelling if wet (Hint: don't let it get wet). On a really cold day I finish off with a fleece Guy Cotton Yukon pull-over top, similar to the one that Capt. Mike recommended. This all keeps me warm enough on the coldest of days. And might I add I HATE the cold?

If I don't use the GC fleece top on a warm-ish day, I go with the same Grundens sleeves as Mike. Hint: get the ones with the tight-fitting neoprene cuff - NOT the ones with the fold-over velcro tab. You'll thank me later.

Bibs (mine are dark green):
7436_1_FR_original.jpg

Outer Fleece top (mine is blue/orange):

1KOD-Kodoak-768x768.jpg

Sleeves:

brigg_sleeves_26_orange_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Oh, and nice fish pics Capt. Mike! I wonder who was the very excellent photographer? :p

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
Having gone thru pairs of Hellys and Aqua Skin Bibs in the past 25 or so years, I've moved on to a pair of Guy Cotten mid-weights (what they term "mid-weight" anyway). I agree with Togilator, the heavier types of Bibs are not really necessary, unless you're planning to work on a trawler or scallop boat.

The GCs I chose include a velcro-ed fly. Why? Because I drink too much coffee and that plus being 67 years old now and a Prostate Cancer survivor means that I have to drop my bibs often enough that having a fly is a great convenience.

My old Aqua Skins also were chosen because of this. However those turned out to be less than robust, needing multiple trips to my clothes cleaner/tailor for repairs to opened-up sewn seams and fabric tears. No Bueno. They've now been relegated to "boat bottom pressure-washing duty," once my baby comes home, Christmas week.

Topside I wear a set of poly thermals of unknown origin, then a mid-weight wool shirt From L.L. Bean, then a LLB "fisherman's wool" pull-over sweater, which I guess means that the wool isn't fully treated to remove the lanolin - making it slightly "sheepy" smelling if wet (Hint: don't let it get wet). On a really cold day I finish off with a fleece Guy Cotton Yukon pull-over top, similar to the one that Capt. Mike recommended. This all keeps me warm enough on the coldest of days. And might I add I HATE the cold?

If I don't use the GC fleece top on a warm-ish day, I go with the same Grundens sleeves as Mike. Hint: get the ones with the tight-fitting neoprene cuff - NOT the ones with the fold-over velcro tab. You'll thank me later.

Bibs (mine are dark green):
View attachment 54598

Outer Fleece top (mine is blue/orange):

View attachment 54599

Sleeves:

View attachment 54600
Oh, and nice fish pics Capt. Mike! I wonder who was the very excellent photographer? :p
Yes, Lep has a good eye with the camera, and also a knack for being around when big Tog are being caught; his boat or mine!!

Pete's point about the sleeves is also very important. After bating you hooks dozens of times during the day and dipping your hands in the draw bucket to rinse off, you need the tight fitting cuffs to make sure the over sleeves do their job of keeping your cotton garments dry.

Reactions: Snapprhead27

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
njpdlstar