winterized, but what if unused this summer ?

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Just curious about this. Since 2008 or so, I only use my boat a half dozen times a year, preferring to kayak, and from mid October on I usually just deer hunt or surfcast. I have a '99 Sea Pro I purchased new and have religiously winterized it every late fall and have never needed assistance in restarting it in the driveway each spring. It got the proper dosage of Marine Stabil, did the fogging oil routine, exercised the steering cable all winter long and regularly charged the battery. If for some reason I never launch it this year (lengthy vacation in September and the aforementioned autumn activities) am I asking for trouble in the spring of 2020. what else should I do in case it never goes in the water this season ?

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
My opinion is that for 1 winter you should be OK. After that, seals may start cracking and screws start getting stuck. Such a scenario caused me to have to replace the tilt/trim unit on a motor on a boat my buddy told me to use after 2 years in storage. The seals had gone on the unit and no one could loosen the fixtures retaining the seals so it was toast. You may also want to drain at least 1/2 of the gas out of the tank before cranking her up in '20 so you can dilute it with fresh stuff. Stabilizer is good, but it only goes so far. Did you also add ethanol treatment like Startron?

They do need some regular loving, two long dry and they like to stay that way...

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Each time I put gas in the boat I treat with Startron. Last fall when it was time to winterize I called Startron & was told that gas properly treated with startron is good for two years.
John

Reactions: Roccus7

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I also put the startron ethanol treatment in whenever I add gas, but that's been just twice a season these last ten years, late July and again when I top it off by early November. Just wondering whether I will ever put the boat in. Next couple week's forecast stinks. Although I might kayak for a few hours many of the mornings, I am truly a fair weather sailor with the boat and if rain is likely by mid afternoon I won't bother with the boat.

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
I would want to at least run the engine for a few minutes. My thoughts are that over time, the fogging oil will thin on the cylinder walls. After the run I would fog the engine again and call it good till next year. I have a vague memory of an outboard mechanic telling me if the motor sits for a long time, slight condensation could cause a ring of corrosion on the cylinder wall where the where the piston ring makes contact.

Scupper

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
A little heat to dry up condensation is a good idea ....Run for a good few minutes .....
Here's anew one for me ....
!30 HP Etec trim stopped working , bought a new relay and when I took the cover off the engine to install the flywheel had a soft layer of rust and everything else seemed damp ... How could that be ? The engine sat on the boat on land for its entire career except when being used .........
At that point it was mid Feb and the boat was laid up for a few months ....
Make a long story short , the engine had been stored boomed all the way up with the air vent on the motor cover facing NE ... After much thought and discussion with a few smart guys , we figured out that the vent was allowing rainwater to get in especially during those winter Nor Easters ... We resealed the bottom of the vent and from now on the engine will be in the down position while on land ..........
Live and learn ......

DarthBaiter

New Angler
Jan 10, 2019
I didn't float my boat this year. :(

Anyway, I've been starting her up twice a month and letting her idle for 10-15min.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I got it out twice (so far) and maybe will use it a third time. Doubt I am down more than 12 gallons out of 42. Thinking I will top it off with super grade, startron ethanol treatment and with a good stabilizer and hope for the best. I haven't put regular octane in it in years, just medium or super grade since I do most of my fishing via kayak since 2004 or 5. ( figure with the gas just sitting, the octane will gradually drop ??)

jpd

Staff member
Dec 24, 2018
I opened and read this thread earlier this morning, now I'm getting ads on pages for Starbrite fogging oil. 😟

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Well, its late spring and while I have yet to go kayak fishing, I am also wondering if I will use the Sea Pro this season. Half the 42 gallons of gas is 90 octane put in last October along with the Marine Stabil, Startron, fogging oil. If it never hits the water this year, do you gents still feel I would be better off starting it, adding a little more Stabil (although this year I will be switching to the better rated PRI-G) and then fogging it again for the winter ? While the trailer is pretty new, the boat and 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke, are 1999s, purchased new and with low hours since I started kayaking in 2005.

Jan 1, 2019
Wasted away in Margaritaville.
Well, its late spring and while I have yet to go kayak fishing, I am also wondering if I will use the Sea Pro this season. Half the 42 gallons of gas is 90 octane put in last October along with the Marine Stabil, Startron, fogging oil. If it never hits the water this year, do you gents still feel I would be better off starting it, adding a little more Stabil (although this year I will be switching to the better rated PRI-G) and then fogging it again for the winter ? While the trailer is pretty new, the boat and 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke, are 1999s, purchased new and with low hours since I started kayaking in 2005.
Well my buddy bought a boat going back in the late 90's, it was an 89 wellcraft that had been sitting for 3 yrs, it was supposedly treated with whatever gas stabilizer they had back then, well, we took it out for a test ride and the motor kept bogging down, so the marina he bought it from changed all the filters, boat ran great for about a week, to make this story short, 15, yamaha 10 micron filters later the varnish that built up in the tank had filled all those filters in a space of 3 months.
I don't know how good those stabilizers are today but, if your not going to use it this year, I would siphon out that gas and use it in my cars and whatever else you got that runs on gas, then replace it again and restabilize.

Avenger

Angler
Jan 29, 2019
What he said. ^^^

I've kept stabilized gas for a year, but after that you're starting to push the issue. The only thing I'd do different is, if you're going to pump the tank, just leave it empty. That whole condensation thing is mostly mythological. Check your fill O-rings. You're much more likely to get water in the tank that way than from the atmosphere.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Looks like I am going to have to launch it and run it out to Fire Island and Jones Inlets a couple of times. Its a 2 stroke so I can't put the gas in anything.

Reactions: Avenger

Avenger

Angler
Jan 29, 2019
Looks like I am going to have to launch it and run it out to Fire Island and Jones Inlets a couple of times. Its a 2 stroke so I can't put the gas in anything.
God forbid you have to go out and run a boat. :eek: Whatever you do, don't take a fishing rod with you either. And please call me if you need a deckhand when you go. The best boat rides are free boat rides.

But seriously, a couple of gallons added when you fill up your car isn't going to matter. Just don't overdo it.

Another thought,... by the late '90s, wasn't Yamaha making VRO engines? My buddy's '98 150s are oil injected. I'm surprised yours aren't.

In any case, there has to be a way to use that gas for fun instead of an obligation.

Reactions: Fluke Whisperer
Jan 1, 2019
Wasted away in Margaritaville.
God forbid you have to go out and run a boat. :eek: Whatever you do, don't take a fishing rod with you either. And please call me if you need a deckhand when you go. The best boat rides are free boat rides.

But seriously, a couple of gallons added when you fill up your car isn't going to matter. Just don't overdo it.

Another thought,... by the late '90s, wasn't Yamaha making VRO engines? My buddy's '98 150s are oil injected. I'm surprised yours aren't.

In any case, there has to be a way to use that gas for fun instead of an obligation.
My buddies 89 200 hp was VRO or similar to that, had a small tank on the engine, was fed by the main tank in the well.

Reactions: Avenger

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Optimum II