With Cuomo Gone Will New York Push a Saltwater License?

Will NY get a saltwater license requirement

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
If you look through these boards you will find I have always said that the Gov. was good to NY Anglers. Like him or hate him he added to our reefs, rescinded the recreational saltwater license and his office picked up the phone when we called.

Well, I'm hearing whispers of a saltwater license already. Without Cuomo in office my guess is we will get one

Do you agree?

poorrichard

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Remember NY State lost in court to the six east end towns regarding the saltwater fishing license.
The six east end towns claimed there fishing rights were granted to them by the Donegan Patent. The courts agreed.
The Donegan Patents were the original land grants from England to the east end towns.

It would be pretty humbling for NY State to try a saltwater license again and lose in court again.
That is why it is a saltwater registry and there is no charge to register

C

CaptFP

If its a couple of dollars like when it was instituted ok by me. More than that I'll complain and make a stink but what, quit fishing.
If the revenue would go directly to ECO's I'd chip in an extra $1000

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Remember NY State lost in court to the six east end towns regarding the saltwater fishing license.
The six east end towns claimed there fishing rights were granted to them by the Donegan Patent. The courts agreed.
The Donegan Patents were the original land grants from England to the east end towns.

It would be pretty humbling for NY State to try a saltwater license again and lose in court again.
That is why it is a saltwater registry and there is no charge to register
They can easily exempt the town owners and carve them out of the legislation. The registry is handled by the feds basically to get a count of saltwater anglers for states that do not have a saltwater license.

You are seeing and hearing it here first. The push for the saltwater license is coming. We can fight it to the death and lose or we may be forced to negotiate.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Honestly, when NYS did away with the charge it was naïve to think it wasn't coming back sooner or later.
Personally, at the time I bit the bullet and forked over the $150 for the lifetime to get it over with and was hoping I'd get 20 years out of it. Maybe they should at least give those of us that took advantage of that deal the option to get it back again?
Like others, I'm reluctantly OK with a charge if goes into enforcement or stays close by and not just added to the "general fund"

Reactions: george

poorrichard

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
George: you stole my thunder.
The lottery money was supposed to go to education and lowering our taxes. This was through a dedicated fund.

Somehow the money got moved in to the "general fund".

Reactions: WhatKnot and george

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Honestly, when NYS did away with the charge it was naïve to think it wasn't coming back sooner or later.
Personally, at the time I bit the bullet and forked over the $150 for the lifetime to get it over with and was hoping I'd get 20 years out of it. Maybe they should at least give those of us that took advantage of that deal the option to get it back again?
Like others, I'm reluctantly OK with a charge if goes into enforcement or stays close by and not just added to the "general fund"
I think it was just $50 which I did fork over. (or were you paying for three?) Unlike my buddies who just went with the ten dollar annual, I got my 50 back. lol.

Reactions: Chinacat

live bait

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I remember that their was a rumor that when Mario Cuomo was Governor, a deal was in the works to make Bass a game fish if the saltwater license was approved. I will admit I never saw that in writing.....John

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nr1730