World Cup 2022

dsedy

Well-Known Angler
Jan 31, 2019
Love it, hate it, or somewhere in between, the games begin tomorrow 11/20/22 from Qatar.

Hopefully our boys have a great run! We open against Wales Monday 11/21 at 2PM EST. Vs. England 11/25 at 2PM EST

1668899436695.png

OVERBORED

Well-Known Angler
Jan 6, 2021
Love soccer. Big Juventus fan. Disappointed with Italian soccer.

Hate that the world cup is in November and in Qatar. FIFA would sell their own mother for a buck!

All that said, can't wait to watch. Hopefully USA can play well!

Reactions: dsedy

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Will enjoy watching some real football for a change. Hope we put on a respectable showing.

On the side, LOL at the whole Budweiser Fiasco. I actually thing the Qataris are doing the fans a favor. Just think how disappointed the folks would be having to drink that swill instead of real beer!!!

OVERBORED

Well-Known Angler
Jan 6, 2021
I like France. Having the best player in the world helps.

Argentina seems to choke in the knockout rounds.

If the US can make it to the knockout round, watch out!

dsedy

Well-Known Angler
Jan 31, 2019
I grew up watching the likes of Palo Rossi in 78’ and 82’. Maradona in 86 was amazing looking back now 30 plus years later.

Was at the San Siro in 2005 for AC Milan vs Inter. That was wild.

Too bad about Forza Italia the last few cups . They have serious work to do.

Really looking forward to this World Cup!

Reactions: Roccus7

dsedy

Well-Known Angler
Jan 31, 2019
Yeah I haven’t followed at all the past few years so no idea. Spain and England have disappointed the last 10 years.

Historically I’ve liked Italy 2006, Netherlands has been a favorite back in I the day with Drogba, Seedorf and Bergkamp. That was a great squad. Croatia was amazing in 2018 allmost so close but no Cigar.

dsedy

Well-Known Angler
Jan 31, 2019
US on Fox now.

Have to watch these US games on mute, because the US announcers will not STFU! Absolutely ruins the enjoyment of just watching the game.

dsedy

Well-Known Angler
Jan 31, 2019
Really good first half and sweet goal. They played way too timid in the 2nd half. No fire. Way too defensive, slow through the midfield.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
A "Sister Smooch" game, but hopefully enough to get through to the knockout rounds...

Have to watch these US games on mute, because the US announcers will not STFU!
After living in Ireland for 3 years and watching the English Premier League, I have NEVER had my sound on back here, unless the audio feed was with European announcers.

Shades of my late 60s/early 70s hockey experience. Would pray the local channel would be using at least the Hockey Night in Canada video feed, and if it was a Rangers game, TV sound off, and radio on to hear Marv Albert and "The Big Whistle"...

Last edited:

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
I always love your feedback Roccus because we are in a similar age bracket and share many of the same childhood memories. I haven't thought about Bill "Big Whistle" Chadwick in a long time! Very cool.

Since we are taking the stroll down memory lane, when I was a kid, the Rangers were the only NY hockey team so naturally we were all Rangers fans. I can remember many games when we would go to the old Garden, before the '68 renovation, and we would specifically buy tickets for the last row in the upper deck. The ceilings were so low that if you stood on your seat, you could actually bang on the celling!!! The long-gone days of Eddie Giacomin and Rod Gilbert!!!

• Love
Reactions: Matts and Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Since we are taking the stroll down memory lane, when I was a kid, the Rangers were the only NY hockey team so naturally we were all Rangers fans

While sleeping outside the "New Garden" with 2 HS buddies waiting to by playoff tickets, we had our picture taken by a Daily News reporter and we made the back cover!!! Unfortunately, I never kept my copy of that photo...

I never "cottoned to" any other NY team, and now I live in Bruins central, Poseidon forbid!!! Hell, I never could accept Esposito on the Rangers, GD Garbage Goal expert, and now I'll happen on old Boston games on TV. I still throw things in fury the INSTANT Derek Sanderson shows up on the screen!!! If you go to the CA side of Niagara Falls, DO NOT go into the Chili's there, it's a shrine to that scumbag!! I accidently went in with The Admiral, saw a Burin #17 jersey and bolted back out the door, "I can't even take a crap in that building!!"

Since I was "commuting" to Ireland in Spring, 1994, I missed the Cup final on TV. The next morning I called a LI friend to ask who won, "Where the hell are you? It's all over the news, THEY WON IT!!" That night I got to see Messier skate the Cup while watching the 24 hour delayed ABC Evening News. I was bawling like a baby, but finally stopped when I saw the "NOW I CAN DIE IN PEACE" sign held up in the crowd...

Last edited:

dsedy

Well-Known Angler
Jan 31, 2019
Wow. Some major upsets
Saudi Arabia defeats Argentina the other day.
Japan just wacked Germany 2 - 1.

• Wow
Reactions: Roccus7

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocco23