Yukatan Knot

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Never seen this one, watched a mate tieing it on the boat the other morning. Although I think he started the braid in a loop and a overhand knot. Then began the twisting.

Reactions: MOJOE and Roccus7

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Hi Matt - I put this up two years ago - you may have missed it:

As to ease and relative strengths - the uni/uni is probably faster, but is the least strong. I know, many say they've never had one fail - the fact remains, its not the strongest knot out there.

I used to FG my braid/mono leader connections, but find it difficult on pitching boat to properly build it. For those instances (like when I break off my entire shock leader when togging), I use an Albright. It clanks through the guides, but its the fastest knot I can tie with a strength that I can trust. The Yucatan is probably faster, but I've never used it - though I should, I guess.

These days I've invested my time and energy into using the "Bobbin Knot," which is awesomely strong, and very cool to tie, once you've mastered the use of a bobbin. Really a nice piece of work, if you have the time and patience. Just one of many vids on YT for your review.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Thanks Lep
I'll check the videos
For me and I'm sure most everybody, tying in the garage in a controlled environment is WAY different than on the water.
I certainly don't want to jinx myself by saying "NEVER" but I can't recall a situation where an uni to uni failed me on its solely on the weight or strength of a fish alone. Most failures I've had is when I straight out get snagged on something sticky.

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Hi Matt - I put this up two years ago - you may have missed it:

As to ease and relative strengths - the uni/uni is probably faster, but is the least strong. I know, many say they've never had one fail - the fact remains, its not the strongest knot out there.

I used to FG my braid/mono leader connections, but find it difficult on pitching boat to properly build it. For those instances (like when I break off my entire shock leader when togging), I use an Albright. It clanks through the guides, but its the fastest knot I can tie with a strength that I can trust. The Yucatan is probably faster, but I've never used it - though I should, I guess.

These days I've invested my time and energy into using the "Bobbin Knot," which is awesomely strong, and very cool to tie, once you've mastered the use of a bobbin. Really a nice piece of work, if you have the time and patience. Just one of many vids on YT for your review.

I was searching past knot threads.. guess I didnt go back far enough. Not sure if I would have the patience for that bobbin.

Last edited:

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
For me and I'm sure most everybody, tying in the garage in a controlled environment is WAY different than on the water.
I'm no stranger to knots, and often find better ways to tie standard knots. How many out there can tie a bowline behind their back? Yeah, the "behind the back" is showboating, but that technique allowed me to easily tie a bowline one the pitching foredeck of a sailboat in 30 kts of wind and 10' waves. Needless to say, I'm no fan of complicated knots that can only be comfortably tied while sitting at home.

The Roccus Rule of Fishing Knots is: If you can't tie it in low light, while fish are breaking all around you, then it has NO value!! Ergo, my on the water repertoire is quite limited: Palomar, Improved Clinch, and Rapala, with the latter about the most challenging knot I tie, and usually try to tie them at home while pre-rigging lures...

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
If you're going mono line to a mono or fluoro leader, then the fastest knot known to man is the five turn Surgeon’s knot. A very infamous local nite-time bass bucktailer showed me how to do it in the pitch dark - and I’ve never forgotten it, or the nights of non-stop mid-teens to 30lb. bass we used to catch nearly every trip, swimming bucktails over structure. Man, them was the dayz.

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Also, I tie my braid/mono leader bobbin knots at home, of course! In my experience its a VERY strong connection and that greatly reduces the losing of the entire leader. Generally, the leader will break at the improved clinch knot of my rigs, not at the bobbin knot. If I do lose my leader, then I Albright a new leader onto my braid. I agree with Roc7, on a rocking boat KISS knotting is the only way to go. Hence, for me: Albright.

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Also, I tie my braid/mono leader bobbin knots at home, of course! In my experience its a VERY strong connection and that greatly reduces the losing of the entire leader. Generally, the leader will break at the improved clinch knot of my rigs, not at the bobbin knot. If I do lose my leader, then I Albright a new leader onto my braid. I agree with Roc7, on a rocking boat KISS knotting is the only way to go. Hence, for me: Albright.
Agreed... Albright is my good too.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccny73