Canaan Lake Patchogue

Ejteasers

New Angler
Dec 14, 2020
Canaan is 6 feet deep at the deepest. Most LI pond are not much deeper than that. Im sure there are still LMB and pickeral in it how many and size is a different story, I would imagine small guys from the feeder streams dropped down once it was refilled ( its just a dammed up part of the Patchogue river system)those native species are hardy, with time they will repopulate and grow to catchable size. I'm sure there are some locals who will down low help with that as well. There are a few sumps in that area that hold sizable LMB's. ;)

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Caught a bunch of Lunkers up on Lake Ontario about 20 years ago. Gives ya a hell of fight & not bad eating. Most seemed to be in the 10 to 20+ pound range as I recall. 1st & only time I've ever fished with downriggers.

Beautiful Lake BTW.
WTF does Lake Ontario have to do with Canaan Lake???

It's like me saying I caught some wonderful brook trout in Pemaquid Pond, beautiful lake BTW, oh look!! A squirrel!!

• Haha
Reactions: JackPrintMD

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Canaan is 6 feet deep at the deepest. Most LI pond are not much deeper than that. Im sure there are still LMB and pickeral in it how many and size is a different story, I would imagine small guys from the feeder streams dropped down once it was refilled ( its just a dammed up part of the Patchogue river system)those native species are hardy, with time they will repopulate and grow to catchable size. I'm sure there are some locals who will down low help with that as well. There are a few sumps in that area that hold sizable LMB's. ;)
" I'm sure there are some locals who will down low help with that as well."

I am not one of them anymore. Hope someone picks up where the older folk left off. :)

Reactions: Chevy1

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Hope they restock Canaan with trout, but i do not think its very likely. Once they take bodies of water off of the stocking list they usually dont go back on. They removed lower yaphank lake from the list years ago because it got choked out, drained the lake a couple years ago, and removed many metric tons of spoil and vegetation. Still no plans to start stocking. same with Edwards ave/ Peconic river. it dried up, they stopped stocking.. New dam with a fish ladder, full of water but not put back on the stocking list. Here's to hoping Canaan is different, I have many good memories fishing there with the old man as kid.
Nothing was ever done with lower lake no dredging or removing weeds the lake was lowered and when too much silt was collecting in the river below the dam the project was stopped and the boards put back in the dam and was let to refill there was a good foot of silt collected up on the river bottom that it surly affected that falls brooktrout spawn was a wash.

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elrockk