Clams

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
I respect your position but I'm 180 degrees opposite.
Why would I pay even $18 for something I can get myself and know where they came from, how fresh they are etc.??
My life is crazy stressful and going clamming is a peaceful restful escape that is priceless!!
Same reason I go fishing rather than buy fish.
to each their own I guess
:)

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
Do you actually catch clams ?

Maybe we need a shellfish thread ?

8-)
Well there is the answer. From what i see there are a many misconceptions here. I guess the first one is the "Hard shell clams most posted here are Quahogs Little necks or another size of Quahogs. the Piss clams are indeed Clams (Soft shell clams). The kind you get when you have Fried clams. Clams / soft shells have necks Quahogs/ hard shell clams do not. It may be where im from but that's the way it is. (When not fishing I use to dig for a living) . The thing about those recipes on removing sand is the fact that they use Fresh water. That's worrisome to me. You Never use fresh water to wash shellfish or fin fish. Always add salt. Can you imagine someone opening an Oyster and washing it out before serving it ?

Just a JFYI not trying to be a know it all. :giggle:

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
Right on with everything there Mud!! I spent a few years digging also.

One question regarding types of fried clams ....... fried clam strips. I always thought fried clam strips were surf clams.

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Right on with everything there Mud!! I spent a few years digging also.

One question regarding types of fried clams ....... fried clam strips. I always thought fried clam strips were surf clams.
I always thought they were razor clams
Strips are surf clams, AKA Skimmer Clams, Hen Clams, etc. There really is no commercial harvest of razors. Upscale Chefs love them, and I find them pretty good, just such a pain to dig without breaking. I've tried the "salt" technique once and plan to give it a shot soon. There's an entire flat by me that is full of them. If I can't get the salt to work here then they flat is not in any danger...

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Out East they commercially harvest them Use too see they guys out there when I was duck hunting
Yup and they get sold "on the hoof", to Asian Markets and to the "fancy suppah" type of restaurants, not processed and canned like "clam strips" are in factories. Those clams are taken in the ocean off of boats that drag dredges...

HighLife

New Angler
Feb 17, 2020
What's the best way (or what do you do) to rid clams of the sand prior to steaming? I've tried scrubbing them with a brush to no avail. Is there something you folks do that works well?
Mix a couple tablespoons of flour with saltwater & add to bucket of clams & saltwater. The flour irritates the clams & they will purge sand. May take a couple hours

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Do you actually catch clams ?

8-)
Dig, harvest, catch, whatever... Doesn't really matter what you call it.
Either you get them yourself OR buy them in a market.
Given that I grew up in a family that we get them ourselves and I was a summertime commercial clammer in my youth, I dont buy clams.8-)8-)8-)

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Dig, harvest, catch, whatever... Doesn't really matter what you call it.
Either you get them yourself OR buy them in a market.
Given that I grew up in a family that we get them ourselves and I was a summertime commercial clammer in my youth, I dont buy clams.8-)8-)8-)
You can't beat "dig your own", I actually enjoy it, but now as I age, I feel it much longer.

I too, worked digging clams and pinhooking while in graduate school to supplement my meager TA stipend...

Reactions: Old Mud

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
I too, worked digging clams and pinhooking while in graduate school to supplement my meager TA stipend...
Dad used to tell me "get the g*d d*mn fishing poles out of the boat ...... you're making way more clamming ! Quit wasting your time trying to sell a couple of fish." ..... he was right even though 16" to 26" bass were paying $3.75 a pound

• Haha
Reactions: Old Mud and Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Dad used to tell me "get the g*d d*mn fishing poles out of the boat ...... you're making way more clamming ! Quit wasting your time trying to sell a couple of fish." ..... he was right even though 16" to 26" bass were paying $3.75 a pound
LOL. My Dad wasn't so concerned and I never got more than $1 a lb for bass, but I did the Pt Jeff restaurant back door sale plan. The common 5 lb fish was a "Five Dollar Bill" for those of us.

Never forget the day I got home 15 min late and The Admiral was not please, "You said you'd be here at noon, it's 12:15!" When I held up 3 C-notes the rage immediately changed, "Do you need some more time for selling? Go right ahead!!"

• Haha
Reactions: Old Mud

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamesjcurryjr