Daiwa Catalina TW 100P - A really good Dealeo on a top-shelf baitcasting reel, - but you gotta move FAST!

LowGear

New Angler
Feb 8, 2020
North East
Just double check you’re ordering the correct star. As far as I know the CF stars on AE fit the last gen of Zillion only. They are the “screw down” type, they are not the spring loaded version that the “new” Zillion/Catalina utilize. As far as I am aware, anyways.
Lep,

I haven’t looked far enough into it and haven’t ordered the star yet just saw it, I’m sure you are correct. I’m embarrassed to say I already have handles heading back overseas that were not to my liking .

Last edited:

LowGear

New Angler
Feb 8, 2020
North East
Goshen line is in and I concur on the diminutive size even its packaging is miniature. We will surely be able to go down in jig/bank weight size with the drop in diameter. It’s going to be like a hot knife though butter.

Will be interesting to seeing how well it holds up to structure.

holty

New Angler
Dec 20, 2018
So I was going to use my new Catalina 100p on an existing stick but have decided to look for a new wand to help fight off the doldrums. Any suggestions on an off the shelf 6'6"-6'8" fast M/H spiral wrapped jobbie with a longer than average handle under $200-? I would have no problem trimming a 7 fter that fits the bill. I like the spiral wrapped stick that I have now but a straight wrap would work. The longer handle is a must.Thanks

regards Holty

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Jay - I know you asked for fast action, but you owe it to yourself to check out the Black Hole Charter Special 6’8” model. The long butt, for tucking under your arm, is made to order for you. Before you buy anything, go see Kilsong at Ward Melville and tell him I sent you. You won’t be sorry!

Right in your $ wheelhouse, too.

holty

New Angler
Dec 20, 2018
OK Pete, will do. Early on here on the north side we are fishing shallow (15 to 25' of water) so the slow sticks work the 1/2 to 1 oz jigs fine. As the season progresses I am fishing deeper (30 to 50') with 2 to 4 oz jigs and I want to be sure I am giving them the action the faster tip provides. I will definitely check out the Black Hole rods. Thanks

regards Holty

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
The rod I'm talking about killed it in the 60-85’ depths I prowl. This particular stick I’m referring to is labeled “Slow Pitch” but that doesn’t really imply a slow action. In fact I would label it mod to almost mod/fast, with a properly lively tip, to really pop the jig, if that’s how you like to fish. The key is having the correct tip action, in any fluke bucktailing rod, as you well know. Also works great on a more gentle lift/drop, which can kill ‘em on a bumpy day with lots of wave action. Sometimes a rod is “just right.” This one fits that description to a tee, for mee!

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Exceeded only by the Jersey Show. THAT one is freakin’ awesome. We walked it for four hours last year and didn't see it all.

LowGear

New Angler
Feb 8, 2020
North East
I go to the Edison show every year , just never made the trip to Melville . Get sick of Belize outfitters and financial sales sometimes ...

LowGear

New Angler
Feb 8, 2020
North East
That was not in reference to the Jersey show, but to those that I have gone to where that is all you see . Jersey is packed! I just enjoy shows with tons and tons of gear tables !

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
So anyway....I received my star drag and my gosen braid...but my knobs are literally on a SLOWWWW boat from China.....want everything so I can do it in one shot....Asia shipping is real bad right now...you got your stuff just in time Pete

LowGear

New Angler
Feb 8, 2020
North East
They will come quicker than the shipping/tracking says, any item I have ordered from any different aspect, hobby, endeavor, etc has handles included. Their return depot is in Jersey so returns are not that big of a deal either if from where discussed above.

Reactions: movetheboat

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
true...my gosen line showed up outta the blue when it had an ETA of March......but that was japan....china I DUNNO

holty

New Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Pete, thanks for the recommendation on the Black Hole 6-8 Charter Special. Exactly what I was looking for. Super light, moderate/fast tip and longer than average handle. Sweet deal at $185 with no tax as well.

regards Holty

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Holty - thanks for coming back and commenting. You will LOVE the way that stick bounces a jig in the deeper water. Minimal effort for excellent results. And wait til you see how it bends over with a good fish on it.

I love it so much that after perusing all the rods there, both factory and custom, (on my hunt for a tog jigging rod that won't break the bank), I ended up right back with Kilsong and bought the same stick, in spinning configuration, for my togging adventures. Looks to be killer for that kind of work.

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
Pete....I know Kil mans the blackhole booth at the shows but is it a SHOW booth or does he sell from it? I forgot... thanks

LowGear

New Angler
Feb 8, 2020
North East
Finally spooled up the Catalina with the Goshen and I am very happy. Sweet little package. Had a look-see inside before and dabbed a little yami blue here and there . For those that don’t upgrade reels the factory handle is not bad at all.

I am excited to get the pairing out on the water , just need to decide on what stick of mine to slap her on. Abu 4600s will now be delegated to boat visitor rods as I might pick up another Catalina or possibly a zillion and throw in the same gearing .

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Optimum II