$$$ if it's not the boat, it's the trailer...

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
Wow, you live far. I have used Long Island Propellers in Middle Island. They are a lot closer. Mark is a great guy.

The bottom prop doesn't look too bad. Don't see anything wrong with the top prop.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I'm surprised more folks don't take care of their props like that. Balance is everything. (y)
I put a tiny cup in mine, which most folks wouldn't even notice, and ran right out to buy another. Since I tend to put my boat "in harm's way", fishing over, and near to ledges, I'm in the aluminum prop, "Rather trash an aluminum prop than trash my drive train because I use a SS prop" school of propeller selection...

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
I never did much maintenance since 2002. Just stupid and just lucky. In 2020 I replaced the tires that were dry rotted. I got a new rim and 2 new tires. I went with the Goodyear Endurance.

I had neglected the trailer for too long. I had to gave attention to the Lug nuts and studs and
  • The lights just didn't need new bulbs. I got a set of lights and ran new wire
  • the trailer winch strap needed to be replaced.
  • the tongue Jack needed replacement. The tongue flexed, and I noticed the bottom had rotted out. Nothing but rust there. I replaced it with Stainless steel. That was a job. I had to get cobalt bits to make holes for ball coupler.
  • The safety chain had rusted away. That was replaced too.
  • Last, but not least, I needed a new multi-ball receiver.
2021 will see me working even more on the trailer. The suspension is starting to rot. I have purchased the torsion Axle crossmember. But I need to install it. I have been putting off taking the boat off the trailer.

The bow rest assembly guide could use replacement too.

That was the before. Now the after

Attachments

• Trailer repair.jpeg
    Trailer repair.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Rick77

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
BTW: Still have more to do. Have to purchase another V-Bar assembly. Waxed the outside. It now gets a coat of Collinite.
Then I move to the interior of the boat.

So much work, so little time....

Reactions: BennyV

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
Boats and Trailers (if applicable) will always need maintenance. Part of the ownership. Yesterday and the day before I wiped down the boat, put my first coat of wax, then the second. Now I have to tackle the inside. Used to be easier when I was younger.

Fishing Nerd

New Angler
Apr 3, 2019
I've owned a trailer for 5 years now, after having the boat docked for the first 5 years I owned it in NYC. My problem with the trailer (in my case, not sure how applicable it is to others) is that I don't really know what kind of routine maintenance and inspection is needed. I know what I need to do to maintain the boat, and I have a service manual to straighten me out if I'm not 100% clear. I can tear the entire thing down if I need to, with step by step instructions.

The manual included with my Load Rite trailer is pretty basic. I do what they specify, I lubricate the hubs twice a year, I rinse the trailer after every outing, and I check the wiring on a regular basis. I'm sure there are other things I should be checking though, and there's not really a good source of information for it. And if I wanted to outsource it, I'm not even sure who does the maintenance - does the trailer go to a mechanic, or to a marina (I bought the trailer before I moved the boat out to the Island, so returning it to the dealer isn't an option).

One thing I know I don't like is the brake lines being galvanized. I know I'm on borrowed time there, and I should replace them with stainless steel.

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
And if I wanted to outsource it, I'm not even sure who does the maintenance - does the trailer go to a mechanic, or to a marina (I bought the trailer before I moved the boat out to the Island, so returning it to the dealer isn't an option).
I found a possible good source for trailer repair. My mechanic will do some of it. But you saw the pics earlier in this post regarded the rusty axle. As I get older, I didn't want to do this. I found a place across the street from my mechanic. The owners name is Neil. I found him very easy to work with and a straight forward, no BS sort of guy. They do it all including building custom trailers from scratch. The axle I purchased was not a direct fit. No worries, he did the necessary modifications and it is actually a stronger mount than from the factory. Trailer was in a 4 PM and Ready at 5:30 PM.

Attachments

• Trailer repair East Setauket.jpeg
    Trailer repair East Setauket.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elrockk