Savvy18

Angler
Dec 19, 2018
Wow Savvy, congratulations, three Debbie-Downer posts on one thread, a possible world record! 8-)

Multiple paragraphs of rod descriptions, all appropriate for deeper fishing. Yet no deeper-fishing desire on your part. I see a big sell-off on the way. . .

Guys, get ready for action!
Nah, not being a Debbie Downer...Just an honest assessment of what I have experienced the last 8 or so years. I always try to keep it real in my posts.

Regarding "the sell-off" I'd say you were partially accurate. I do have a desire to sell about 30-40% of my rods & reels and that is mostly because I haven't used a good portion of them. It's a shame that such nice equipment is sitting around unused. Like I said, I've curtailed my fishing excursions the last 2 years pretty significantly. Especially, mid-summer fluke trips when it's 95 degrees out with 100% humidity. On those days I'd rather have my spleen removed than cook in the sun running 25 miles to catch 1 or 2 fluke.

Right now my only issue is finding buyers that understand that quality tackle doesn't come at off-the-rack Tsunami prices. And I'm not going to give away $250 reels for $40. The Abu's you built me are mine for good, whether I fish them or not, I'm keeping all of them. But the other reels in the arsenal are all in absolutely beautiful condition and I won't part with them unless I garner a fair price.

It all remains to be seen.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Put the goods in the appropriate thread up above, price them well, and let’s see if we can move them to some happy new owners

Flukeaholic

New Angler
Jan 28, 2021
Wow this is great info!! Definitely helping with the cabin fever.

Lep I have been taking your advice for many years and you have made me a better fluke fisherman. I still have my early "Lep Stick" 6'3" rods and I use your Lep rig almost exclusively. I am trying to figure out which spinning rod you are referring to on this thread that was under $100. I am trying to put together a budget spinning outfit for those winds against tide periods. I googled Daiwa Harrier Slow Pitch Spinner but I am only seeing casting rods under that name. Can you give a model number I would greatly appreciate it.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Hi Flukeaholic- glad to here I’ve helped. I still own my original BPS Muskie rod (named by the infamous Capt.XXX as the "Lep Stick"), though in truth, I haven't used it in years.

Anyway, the model number of that Harrier should be in that Tackle Evaluation thread. Let me look and comeback here. Being on a cell phone has its limitations. In my hands, anyway.

Yep, it was there, you must have missed it. Model # HRJ64MS. Check to see if Daiwa still offers it - I heard some chatter about them doing some upgrades to their Harrier lineup. This particular rod is really a little sweetheart, and well worth the $99 ask. Good quality for a fair price.

Flukeaholic

New Angler
Jan 28, 2021
Hi Flukeaholic- glad to here I’ve helped. I still own my original BPS Muskie rod (named by the infamous Capt.XXX as the "Lep Stick"), though in truth, I haven't used it in years.

Anyway, the model number of that Harrier should be in that Tackle Evaluation thread. Let me look and comeback here. Being on a cell phone has its limitations. In my hands, anyway.

Yep, it was there, you must have missed it. Model # HRJ64MS. Check to see if Daiwa still offers it - I heard some chatter about them doing some upgrades to their Harrier lineup. This particular rod is really a little swetheart, and well worth the $99 ask. Good quality for a fair price.
Lep thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it man!!

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
More and more I’ve been grabbing my Rodgeeks number 1 spinning rod buil by Kevin on the Snowgoose. I paired it with a Penn Clash 2000. Great setup and light as hell. I only fish the LIS so it suits my need.

Flukinit

Angler
Dec 19, 2018
Wow this is great info!! Definitely helping with the cabin fever.

Lep I have been taking your advice for many years and you have made me a better fluke fisherman. I still have my early "Lep Stick" 6'3" rods and I use your Lep rig almost exclusively. I am trying to figure out which spinning rod you are referring to on this thread that was under $100. I am trying to put together a budget spinning outfit for those winds against tide periods. I googled Daiwa Harrier Slow Pitch Spinner but I am only seeing casting rods under that name. Can you give a model number I would greatly appreciate it.
Causeway Bait and Tackle had the Harriers in stock. Also check out the Tsunami spinner for the same money there is a 7' H but it's not heavy at all TSSPJ-S701H and the shorter one at 6'6" MH TSSPJ-S661MH. All 3 have a nice extended butt end to tuck under your arm for some extra leverage. Also if your near a bass pro check out the Fenwick 7 spinner HMX in M or ML. I haven't held one but see Elias use one from his Yak and seems like a nice blank that comes in at $80 but as I said I have never held that blank. Gonna keep an eye out for it.
My suggestion take you spinning reel with you to a few shops look for these blanks you see one you like put thecreel on it run line through the blank and give it a few tugs that way. What one person finds to be a nice blank the way it sets up you may not like. Maybe too fast or to slow when setting up on a fish.

Last edited:

Flukeaholic

New Angler
Jan 28, 2021
Causeway Bait and Tackle had the Harriers in stock. Also check out the Tsunami spinner for the same money there is a 7' H but it's not heavy at all TSSPJ-S701H and the shorter one at 6'6" MH TSSPJ-S661MH. All 3 have a nice extended butt end to tuck under your arm for some extra leverage. Also if your near a bass pro check out the Fenwick 7 spinner HMX in M or ML. I haven't held one but see Elias use one from his Yak and seems like a nice blank that comes in at $80 but as I said I have never held that blank. Gonna keep an eye out for it.
My suggestion take you spinning reel with you to a few shops look for these blanks you see one you like put thecreel on it run line through the blank and give it a few tugs that way. What one person finds to be a nice blank the way it sets up you may not like. Maybe too fast or to slow when setting up on a fish.
Thanks Flukinit. I'm planning to venture out this weekend to check some rods out in person

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I don't have much to add here except to say Thank You to both Lep and Capt Mike for taking the time to share such awesome and detailed information 👍🙏
I had the great experience of fishing with Capt Mike and Lep more than once last year and they are always eager to share their knowledge. You would be hard-pressed to find a better team. They are a wealth of knowledge from tog and sea bass to great fluke fishing and more. We're lucky to have them here at nyangler!

Reactions: Snapprhead27

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiwi9911