New York State DEC Talks About Upcoming Changes for 2021

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
You know what disturbed me the most @george? How he said they didn't want 2 different bait regs, between Hudson River and the coast because it would be confusing for the ECOs. Well DUH, the fish regulations are different from above and below the GW bridge, so his "concerns" are totally unfounded.

I don' think the ECO's were the ones he was worried about.

Here is a pice of the transcript -

"
Mr. John Maniscalco:
And what we're gonna encounter now is, uh, you know, potentially a different bait definition, um, you know, as soon as you cross the bridge, right? So while that's a nice clear line, uh, from an enforcement perspective, uh, that's one of the things that will drive an angler crazy, that they can use one kind of bait here but on the other side of that bridge, they're not gonna be able to use that bait.

Mr. John Maniscalco:
So not only was it... you know, it was an easy first step to take the same, to take the same bait definition, but it also would have helped enforcement and also kind of remove any kind of confusion. Now, uh, we do listen, um, and the regulation that, you know, thus far is a proposed rule and the point of a proposed rule is to allow the public to give public comment and we will be taking public comment on the proposed rule through March 8th.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I don' think the ECO's were the ones he was worried about.

Here is a pice of the transcript -

"
Mr. John Maniscalco:
And what we're gonna encounter now is, uh, you know, potentially a different bait definition, um, you know, as soon as you cross the bridge, right? So while that's a nice clear line, uh, from an enforcement perspective, uh, that's one of the things that will drive an angler crazy, that they can use one kind of bait here but on the other side of that bridge, they're not gonna be able to use that bait.

Mr. John Maniscalco:
So not only was it... you know, it was an easy first step to take the same, to take the same bait definition, but it also would have helped enforcement and also kind of remove any kind of confusion. Now, uh, we do listen, um, and the regulation that, you know, thus far is a proposed rule and the point of a proposed rule is to allow the public to give public comment and we will be taking public comment on the proposed rule through March 8th.
OK, so if we use this logic, with the GW Bridge as the "DMZ" for some bass regulations, it could easily "pick up" additional ones like using the Fresh Water Natural Bait definition above the bridge and having a separate, more realistic one for "Natural Marine Baits" under the bridge, correct?

BTW, this does beg another question, does NJ have it's own set of Hudson River regulations or did they cover it with their "Bonus Rape Tag" program?

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
OK, so if we use this logic, with the GW Bridge as the "DMZ" for some bass regulations, it could easily "pick up" additional ones like using the Fresh Water Natural Bait definition above the bridge and having a separate, more realistic one for "Natural Marine Baits" under the bridge, correct?

BTW, this does beg another question, does NJ have it's own set of Hudson River regulations or did they cover it with their "Bonus Rape Tag" program?
I'm confident that is what's going to happen. We currently have two separate regs on size once you pass the GW, so why not bait?

Bobbysea

New Angler
Oct 28, 2020
Being from CT you could ask me to mind my own business but in the sound as anybody knows we're sharing the same water. The thing I worry about most is the exponential growth of the Black Sea Bass. George mentions the decrease in keeper fluke in the sound. I would venture to say that if there was ever a survey done comparing the increased sea bass population increase to the decrease in legal fluke and Striped Bass at some point theres a correlation. Was happy to hear that a DEC administration employee actually gets out and expierences what we all see. Thought for the most part that they're bean counters.Thanks George, that was a great interview!

Reactions: george

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
There is a definite correlation between our warming waters and the insurgence of sea bass. I have a special I'm putting together now by scientists that predicted exactly what were seeing 10- years ago.

Thanks for listening.

George

Reactions: Bobbysea

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
In my part of the south shore bay sea bass are just a nuisance since they are rarely of legal size. I stopped fishing for blackfish for the same reason and instead start surfcasting for stripers and blues once my tootsies get a bit too cold in the yak and the winds pick up. Drop the size limit a bit and people not on ocean going boats would rediscover this great eating fish.

Reactions: Bobbysea

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
OK NY, Maine has thrown down the gauntlet. DEC gonna pony up and try to collect data???

Maine DMR Recreational Fishing
Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
Bookmark and Share

Striped Bass Anglers,
At the recent Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission meeting, the Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board voted to approve a proposal submitted by Maine and Massachusetts to study the baited tube rig fishery. In response, DMR will be re-instating the previous circle hook exemption for baited rubber or latex tube rigs ahead of the 2021 fishery. We are also encouraging recreational anglers to participate in the study via Maine's Volunteer Angler Logbook Program.

The Maine and Massachusetts study is intended to gather data on the striped bass baited tube rig fishery. This fishery has been the source of many stakeholder comments, particularly in regards to the use of circle hooks, but is data poor. As a result, the study intends to better understand the number of participants using tube rigs, where the hook sets on the fish, and if circle hooks can be effectively used on a tube rig. The study will be composed of three elements: an angler survey, expansion of Maine's Volunteer Angler Logbook Program, and on-the-water work.

To carry out the study and enable collaboration with industry, the Board voted to allow a two year coastwide exemption to the circle hook requirement for tube rig gear. As a result, DMR will be re-instating its previous exemption for baited rubber or latex tube rigs ahead of the 2021 fishing season. As a reminder, in December 2020, DMR issued an emergency regulation to remove the circle hook exemption for tube rigs. Given an emergency regulation is only effective for 90 days, DMR will let this emergency regulation expire, re-instating the exemption on March 16, 2021.

Importantly, DMR is encouraging recreational anglers to participate in the study by collecting data through Maine's Volunteer Angler Logbook Program. The Logbook is a way for saltwater anglers to collect important trip-level information on fish length and catch & effort data. For the study, DMR will be expanding the questions in the Logbook to gather information on participation rates and catch associated with tube rig gear. In addition to a paper Logbook, DMR will also be providing the option for an electronic Logbook this year, which will allow anglers to fill out the information online. Collecting data through the Logbook program is a key way stakeholders can contribute to the Maine and Massachusetts study.

If you are interesting in participating in the Logbook program or would like to learn more, please contact Victoria Batter at [email protected] or 207.350.7354.​

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Too busy here killing off those elderly nursing home patients. If Princess Andie can hold off screaming at poor legislator Kim maybe he will call our DEC. I never did try a tube and worm with live sandworms, just Gulp ones, and quickly switched back to jigging Gulp on bucktails.

Reactions: jpd

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Yup, and they’re asking for individual anglers to also provide data.

Let’s see if NY does the same and becomes active participants instead of sitting on the sidelines.
The study is going to be tough enough to get anglers involved in the states that are conducting the test. I'm sure if NY, or any other state for that matter, were part of the study, anglers would comply. ASMFC could have easily;y requested all states to take part in the survey.

Besides I personally have a lot of faith in my northern friends :)

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
The study is going to be tough enough to get anglers involved in the states that are conducting the test. I'm sure if NY, or any other state for that matter, were part of the study, anglers would comply. ASMFC could have easily;y requested all states to take part in the survey.

Besides I personally have a lot of faith in my northern friends :)
My cynical side would like to point out that since the retirements of Byron and Chet, NYDEC has become a cadre of computer console jockeys, totally reticent to actually going out into the field and getting their hands dirty. Did you know that fish gurry is "icky stuff!!" ;)

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
OK so once again I had to go to the urban dictionary to figure out your post :)

Gurry (noun): 1. Discarded fish guts. Usually destined for processing into fish oil and fertilizer.
2. The same discarded fish guts six months later, since the yuppies shut the processing plant down cause it stank like MUNG. (see)
3. Useless waste from fish processing, now that we no longer utilize it for making fish oil and fertilizer. Hauled beyond two mile limit at sea and dumped into ocean.
3a. The ruin of any fishermen who are unlucky enough to catch a net full of it, beyond the two mile limit, at sea.
"That gurry's gettin' sum ripe in them tanks! 'Bout time to make a trip out by the limit."

I miss Byron, as he was a common-sense guy, but the fact is we have never had fisheries managers use much common sense in the past. It's all been based on unreliable data. The ability for anglers to reach out directly has had a huge impact for the better.

This is all yours my friend - make sure you save our J-Hook for worming - or we will start teaming up with Jersey:)

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James