:(

Area: Inshore

Jan 1, 2019
Wasted away in Margaritaville.
Well the weatherman was wrong again, what a surprise.

Based on the predictions of NOAA and other marine reports, it was decided that my younger son and I would fish Sunday do to the forecast being bad on Saturday
which turned out to be the better of the 2 days.

We launched out of Milford Ct around 8am and couldn't decide where to go, Middle ground, West Haven or Penfield Light.
We finally decided on Penfield and headed west, after seeing numerous boats out there Saturday I figured it would be the best spot to run to middle ground if Penfield didn't pan out.
On the way to Fairfield we came across numerous schools of bunker off of Stratford, so many that their fins were sticking up out of the water, huge schools but no takers, we stopped and observed, that's when I noticed the wind was picking up, we sat for 20 minutes and then continued on, right around Bridgeport my son saw birds and fish crashing bait so we headed over, it also caught the attention of several other boats and as usual the fish disappeared when the boats ran through the school, I can never understand why some fisherman do this smh.

We tried for 20 minutes using epoxy jigs and deadly dicks but nada.

We continued on to Penfield Light to find the 20+ boats right in the rocks where the warning sign is, so I made my way in amongst the fleet hoping to find a nice rock pile, by this time the wind had picked up and we were getting 2 to 3 footers, my son tossed the anchor and we came tight, the boat was rocking big time and made standing up almost impossible for me.

My son was the first to hook up and it was a short, I was very frustrated at the weather forecast and it was getting worst, with the boat swinging the way it was we were getting hung up and donating rigs like crazy.

I decided that maybe just try and take a shot at Middle ground and we pulled anchor, well that was a bad decision and I turned around and tucked in be hind the light house.
I got as close as I could to the rock pile and we tossed the hook out, we came tight and I tied the anchor rope off to the back of the boat putting our stern in close to the rocks, it was nice to be out of the wind and waves, we stayed their for an hour with nothing but shorts to show for out efforts, we decide to call it quits and make the run for home, what a pounding we took going back, I was hugging the shore line and my son say dad, it does look so bad out in the deeper water, so I head out to the deeper water and it was worse lol.

We finally made it back to Charles island, on the way back in I noticed that all the boats that were out deep were no longer there and most of the boats were either gone or inside the harbors.

I am going to hold off one more week before I put the boat away, next weekend will be the deciding point, I will charter some trips out of R.I. before the season ends.

This has been a really bad year for me and I'm sure I'm not alone, I am going to sell my boat come spring, I need something bigger, I missed out on a nice 36 foot Tiara because I hesitated, it was sold 2 days after it was posted, better luck next time.

Here's hoping 2021 is a turn around for everyone , not just for fishing but everything in general.

Tight lines .
Jay

Reactions: MOJOE

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
wow jay what a report,,here and there:eek:,,, the weather report is wrong most of the time:mad:,, thanks for sharing your outing out in the deep blue sea,,, you and your son got back safely (y) ,,,, yes lets hope 2021is a turn aroung for eveything,,2020 sucks!!!,,,, bye for now,,,,,,,,,, ><)))):>
><))):>

Last edited:
Reactions: Fluke Whisperer

AllyKat

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
I I I I
If your trying to make me feel better about missing another weekend on the water, its not working.... Sorry you had a rough sunday, but you have the time with your boy, and the memories of the day. As long as you got back safe, thats the most important part. One more weekend on the fields, and then I get to try for blacks if mother nature allows.

Reactions: Fluke Whisperer

Tigashrk

Angler
Mar 3, 2019
Blackfishing isn’t for the fair weather boater. You need to have reliable spots of your own not a popular location. If you don’t get bit in 1/2 hour their not there move. I traveled 52 miles round trip Sunday in a 21 footer, It wasn’t the day I was expecting either.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Well some things never change, and those are frequent, windy & unfishable days on LI Sound in the fall.

I always envied the South Shore boys this time of year since they could tuck in close to the beach and have a field day on the bass if the sand eel feed starts up.

Fall Sound fishing is not for the faint of heart...

Jan 1, 2019
Blackfishing isn’t for the fair weather boater. You need to have reliable spots of your own not a popular location. If you don’t get bit in 1/2 hour their not there move. I traveled 52 miles round trip Sunday in a 21 footer, It wasn’t the day I was expecting either.
I hear what your saying, I was going to try a new spot off of Branford, looking at the chart there are a few good places where I thought would be productive, I usually don't hang in one spot more than a half hour if it's not producing, unfortunately the wind and waves were making it tough to anchor and maneuvering the boat around, I could have just crowed someone else but that's not my style, if the weather holds out next weekend I will try the spots I found on the chart and let everyone know how I did.
Jay

Reactions: AllyKat

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
Well some things never change, and those are frequent, windy & unfishable days on LI Sound in the fall.

Fall Sound fishing is not for the faint of heart...
I went out 2 weeks ago. Honest 2 footers with white caps. Then the wind picked up (out of the west). Now there were 2 to
3 1/2 footers. We made it out to middle grounds to try to Black Sea bass. I got sick as a dog trying to tie a knot. Only the second time I got have been sick on my boat....and it is a 2002. My inner ear still has not settled down.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I went out 2 weeks ago. Honest 2 footers with white caps. Then the wind picked up (out of the west). Now there were 2 to
3 1/2 footers. We made it out to middle grounds to try to Black Sea bass. I got sick as a dog trying to tie a knot. Only the second time I got have been sick on my boat....and it is a 2002. My inner ear still has not settled down.
Your ear issue is misplaced otoliths. You can reset them using this procedure.

Mayo Clinic Q and A: Dizziness Caused by Inner Ear Crystals

Jan 1, 2019
I had to cancel a cruise 3 yrs ago when I came down with vertigo 3 weeks before my wife and I were to sail, lucky I had insurance .
It started when I went over to see my friend in Hamptons Bay on memorial day weekend , on the way over on the ferry I was getting extremely dizzy, I have only been sea sick once in my life, but this was different, I ended up in the ER in Ct, my poor wife had to drive back from Hamptons, I went to therapy for 3 weeks, I used the eply maneuver 3 times a day to try and dislodge the crystal in my ear, it was at home doing the exercise myself that the crystal finally let go and went back where ever they go, so I can relate.
It's not fun.
Jay

Staff online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firefisher