Fishing Pliers - What are you packing?

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Thanks for the input here. I made up a short video on my plyer experience this season.

I'm not comfortable with the J-Hook yet. And with the action as fast and furious as it was I need to get back to the fish. I guess I use them more than others, but I like the look of those Sargents. I don't care how heavy they are.

Reactions: BennyV and CELLFISH

CaptFP

New Angler
Mar 25, 2020
Westchester County NY
Every mate including myself used to use these. The only issue is after a quarter to a half a season of rigging and cutting the occasional stainless steel leader when doing nighttime bluefish trips the cutter mechanism dulls and cannot be replaced on its own. The plier side will work forever though with very little maintenance. View attachment 24980
x2 for the Manley super pliers. Have 3 pair one I wear every day and another in my boat bag as a spare. Had them at least 20 years. Both have ripoffs belt sheaths. I keep the spare in a ziplock bag lubed with wd-40. If one locks up I just swap them. Retired the first one ,given to me by the capt/owner of the first party boat I worked on as a kid, has to be 35 years old, nailed it to my rod bench bet it still works fine

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
This thread had me looking for the old Manley pliers, like most the cutters were history many tides B74BCF28-FB52-41FA-9120-3918060ACF68.jpegago still have the original leather sheath. I now use a needle nose plier found it in a Florida flee market 4/5 years ago marked stainless & less than $5, still works & hasn’t rusted yet, use the sheath from an old mag lite. I guess because they were so inexpensive I’ll never drop them over the side. John

Attachments

• EDDC0FBC-C0D9-4FAC-98B9-9832A1656D20.jpeg
    EDDC0FBC-C0D9-4FAC-98B9-9832A1656D20.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Can't believe they're $50 plus these days. Remember buying one from Hermans in cross county center for $20. Even what they cost today still so much cheaper than a $300 van stall

I swear, but I got to think in some conference room a bunch of suits got together and said,

Hey, we suckered folks into spending $600-800 on spinning reels. Let's see if they're gullible enough to go for $300 pliers with the Van Staal name on them? If we keep them price controlled, I bet we can get around a 10X profit margin on them!! And what's even better is they'll lose these so they'll rebuy them!!!

CELLFISH

Well-Known Angler
Jan 14, 2019
I swear, but I got to think in some conference room a bunch of suits got together and said,

Hey, we suckered folks into spending $600-800 on spinning reels. Let's see if they're gullible enough to go for $300 pliers with the Van Staal name on them? If we keep them price controlled, I bet we can get around a 10X profit margin on them!! And what's even better is they'll lose these so they'll rebuy them!!!

VS good for me, bailed reels onda beach “not good”, I like to swim with VS too... cellfish...

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
VS good for me, bailed reels onda beach “not good”, I like to swim with VS too... cellfish...
'
Won't debate about the reels, they are nice, but still overpriced IMO, BUT I'm waiting for anyone to justify a $300 price tag on a pair of pliers.

Seems to me nothing more than a "Look at me, I paid way too much for these shiny pliers!!", right up there with Citiots who bought H1 & H2 Hummers. You have a farm? Then you probably could really use an H1. You live on the Upper West Side, why in the name of God would you spend that kind of coin on the vehicle besides you want to say, "Look at me!!!!"??????

The VS Pliers: proof that the old saying A Fool and His Money Are Soon Parted is true...

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbysea