Gelcoat repair or those damn furry tailed rats...

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Yeah, because the damage seemed to be confined to the edge and a small bit underneath, I’m thinkin’ PC-11 marine epoxy putty as a filler. I like that stuff and have had good success using it in other similar boat situations.

Then I think I’ll construct a curved edge guard for each curved rear corner out of a nice piece of 1/2” thick white Starboard sheet I happen to have, and hold them on with counter-sunk screws and 3M 4000 UV. I already know that Starboard can be custom curved with the judicious use of my heat gun. Anyway, that’s my plan - as of now, I guess.

lf it goes well, I might just add a third piece straight across the rear edge of the platform, which is something I’ve wanted to do for a while, as backing into my slip can have the boat rubbing up against my dock’s white rubber bumpers - which leaves schmutz on the rear edge of the platform that’s a PITA to remove.

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
The problem I have observed with Marine-Tex is that turns a very nice shade of light tan from UV exposure. Good to know that it can be top coated with gelcoat, I wasn't aware that GC would stick to it, over the long term. However, covering it with gelcoat would not be an issue here, nor would there be concerns about UV exposure. But I do know that PC-11 doesn't seem to suffer from the same darkening issue, from lots of hands-on experience. This is why I keep a supply of PC-11 on hand - just a more versatile product, to my mind. Plus its available at any ACE hardware store, for an easy-to-take price.

Again, this darkening thing will probably not be an issue for what I need to do, as my repair will be covered by my proposed Starboard edge guards. But I do have a goodly amount of PC-11 on hand, so that's what I think (at this point) I will use.

IMG_2069_edited.jpg

Because it's epoxy, it will form amine blush. A good scrubbing with some Dawn and a scotch green pad or some sanding should get rid of it so you can gelcoat it.

Mas and a few other epoxy companies make amine blush free epoxy, a bit more costly, but sometimes it's worth it to avoid any problems with gelcoat down the road.

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
I agree, but I don't think I'll need to apply any gelcoat. I'll have a better idea of exactly what's what in a few months.

Man, that's a looong time. My Florida-dwelling friends can't believe that we go thru all the trouble, drama and expense of running a boat, when "we can only use them a half of a year."

They do have a point, when you think about it. . .

Reactions: DarthBaiter

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiwi9911