Peconic Bay Scallop Collapse

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
actually the neighbor two doors down about twenty years ago had those illegals with their Guatemalan hairdryers blowing all over so the corner of my front lawn must have captured some seeds. when I decided to widen a border garden, I transplanted little foot squares all over my lawn and in about five years it took over the weaker Kentucky Blue, fescues and perennial rye grasses. Crabgrass and dandelions don't stand a chance against it, lol. Other people bought plugs.

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
Yes but All Fresh scallops are good. When i was much younger and lived down in Fairhaven we scalloped commercially the whole season. From Oct 1 till Dec.30 those bay scallops were to die for. I could shuck a gallon in 45 minutes and made $1. :) Pretty good pay in the early 50's.

Reactions: george and Roccus7

BoatGuy

New Angler
Feb 8, 2019
I would assume sewers would make sense. I friend works in an environmental lab and test the drinking water. I was surprised to find our water has nicotine and acetaminophen. Look at all the living complexes going up. Remember where the Davis Peach Farm used to be? All that waste goes into cesspool's

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I would assume sewers would make sense. I friend works in an environmental lab and test the drinking water. I was surprised to find our water has nicotine and acetaminophen. Look at all the living complexes going up. Remember where the Davis Peach Farm used to be? All that waste goes into cesspool's
They passed some type of law in Suffolk this year requiring some new kind of septic system. It does nothing to address water quality.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I wait all year for those peconics. First the lobsters now the scallops. What's next? I'm sure 400 millions gallons as day of untreated sewarge doesn't help.

At the same time the seal population is exploding in the sound.

This is the batch I bought last year
F3BCCF07-D068-4637-907C-A14BCE6ACC8F.jpeg

Reactions: Capt13 and Roccus7

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togman1