the "Headline That Caught My Attention or the WTF" thread

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
CBS News

Astra rocket fails and two NASA satellites are lost​

California-based Astra on Sunday launched two shoebox-size NASA satellites from Cape Canaveral in a modest mission to improve hurricane forecasts, but the second stage of the company's low-cost booster malfunctioned before reaching orbit and the payloads were lost.

"The upper stage shut down early and we did not deliver the payloads to orbit," Astra tweeted. "We have shared our regrets with @NASA and the payload team. More information will be provided after we complete a full data analysis."

It was the seventh launch of Astra's small "Venture-class" rocket and the company's fifth failure. Sunday's launch was the first of three planned for NASA to launch six small CubeSats, two at a time, into three orbital planes.

Given the somewhat risky nature of relying on tiny shoebox-size CubeAats and a rocket with a very short track record, the $40 million project requires just four satellites and two successful launches to meet mission objectives.
========================
5 out 7 failed?
and NASA still intends to honor the contract??

WTF???

• Sad
Reactions: CELLFISH

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
this has got to stop

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Chronic air pollution cuts average global life expectancy by more than two years per person, a study published on Tuesday showed, an impact comparable to that of smoking and far worse than HIV/AIDS or terrorism.

More than 97% of the global population lives in areas where air pollution exceeds recommended levels, the University of Chicago's Energy Policy Institute (EPIC) said in its latest Air Quality Life Index, which used satellite data to measure levels of PM2.5, hazardous floating particles that damage the lungs.

It said that if global PM2.5 levels were reduced to the five micrograms per cubic metre recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO), average life expectancy would rise by an average of 2.2 years.

Air pollution has been neglected as a public health issue, with funding to address the problem still inadequate, the study warned.

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia

:oops::rolleyes::LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: CELLFISH

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia

:oops:

Mom of 12 Britni Church could use a nap.

The 33-year-old gave birth to her first child at age 16 in 2004, and has been pregnant every year since, excluding 2013, 2017 and 2022.

“I think I'm done,” Church told TODAY Parents with a laugh.

1655387939508.png

• Wow
Reactions: jpd

jpd

Staff member
Dec 24, 2018

:oops:

Mom of 12 Britni Church could use a nap.

The 33-year-old gave birth to her first child at age 16 in 2004, and has been pregnant every year since, excluding 2013, 2017 and 2022.

“I think I'm done,” Church told TODAY Parents with a laugh.

View attachment 49986

She lost one - there are only 11 in the picture. I'd imagine that's easy to do.

• Haha
Reactions: wader

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Time for some new false news there Richard...

The claim: Jerry Zeifman fired Hillary Clinton during the Watergate scandal

On June 17, 1972, five burglars were arrested at the Democratic National Committee headquarters in the Watergate complex for attempting to wiretap office communications. The scandal resulted in the resignation of former President Richard Nixon after a series of investigations found he was involved in the operation.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was part of the impeachment inquiry staff. But decades later, some social media users are spreading false claims about her involvement.

A Facebook post shared over three years ago shows a black-and-white photo of Clinton next to other politicians.

"As a 27 year old staff attorney for the House Judiciary Committee during the Watergate investigation, Hillary Rodham was fired by her supervisor, lifelong Democrat Jerry Zeifman," reads text above the image.

Clinton not fired from inquiry

The timeline is key to this claim.

The House Judiciary Committee adopted three articles of impeachment against Nixon on July 27, 1974. However, Nixon avoided impeachment in the House after he resigned from office Aug. 9 of that year. The case ended Aug. 22 when the final impeachment report was published.

In 2016, Washington Post librarian Alice Crites unearthed Judiciary Committee records that show Clinton was paid $3,377.77 from July 1, 1974, to Sept. 4, 1974, which indicates she was active throughout the investigation. Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign said on its website that she was not fired.

Zeifman, who died in 2010, did claim he terminated Clinton in an interview, as the post says.

But there are significant problems with his story.

Zeifman contradicted this claim himself in a 1999 interview with the Scripps Howard News Service, saying, "If I had the power to fire her, I would have fired her," according to PolitiFact. In other words, he's saying he didn't fire Clinton.

And several sources say Zeifman wasn't in a place to make a firing decision on Clinton.

The quote in the post stems from a 2008 column by Dan Calabrese, which was later published by the Canada Free Press in 2013. But John R. Labovitz, a lawyer on the impeachment staff, told Calabrese in the same column that Zeifman did not work "on the impeachment inquiry staff directly."

John Doar, a former Justice Department lawyer, was given the responsibility to direct the impeachment inquiry staff in December of 1973, during which time he assembled a staff, according to the Congressional Quarterly Almanac.

In a 2018 interview with American historian Timothy Naftali, Clinton said Doar invited her over the phone to work on the impeachment inquiry staff, and she accepted.

An impeachment inquiry staff list compiled by Washington Post journalist Glenn Kessler shows Clinton listed as counsel under Doar while Zeifman was listed as general counsel under committee staff, which indicates Doar was Clinton's supervisor.

Even your source, CATO, says it isn't true...

Was Hillary Clinton Fired from the Nixon Impeachment Inquiry?

By David Boaz

Washington Post fact checker Glenn Kessler gives a maximum Four Pinocchios to the claim that Hillary Clinton was fired during the Watergate inquiry, which has gotten a lot of circulation on social media. He makes a detailed case that there is no evidence for such a firing. However, along the way he does note some unflattering aspects of her tenure there:

In neither of his books does Zeifman say he fired Clinton. But in 2008, a reporter named Dan Calabrese wrote an article that claimed that “when the investigation was over, Zeifman fired Hillary from the committee staff and refused to give her a letter of recommendation.” The article quoted Zeifman as saying: “She was a liar. She was an unethical, dishonest lawyer. She conspired to violate the Constitution, the rules of the House, the rules of the committee and the rules of confidentiality.”…

In 1999, nine years before the Calabrese interview, Zeifman told the Scripps‐Howard news agency: “If I had the power to fire her, I would have fired her.” In a 2008 interview on “The Neal Boortz Show,” Zeifman was asked directly whether he fired her. His answer: “Well, let me put it this way. I terminated her, along with some other staff members who were — we no longer needed, and advised her that I would not — could not recommend her for any further positions.”
So it’s pretty clear that Jerry Zeifman, chief counsel of the House Judiciary Committee during the Watergate inquiry, had a low opinion of the young Yale Law graduate Hillary Rodham. But because she reported to the chief counsel of the impeachment inquiry, who was hired separately by the committee and did not report to Zeifman, Zeifman had no authority over her. He simply didn’t hire her for the permanent committee staff after the impeachment inquiry ended.

Kessler also notes that Clinton failed the D.C. bar exam in that period. She never retook the exam (passing the Arkansas exam instead) and concealed her failure even from her closest friends until her autobiography in 2003.

And then there’s this:

Zeifman’s specific beef with Clinton is rather obscure. It mostly concerns his dislike of a brief that she wrote under Doar’s direction to advance a position advocated by Rodino — which would have denied Nixon the right to counsel as the committee investigated whether to recommend impeachment.
That brief may get some attention during the next few years, should any members of the Clinton administration become the subject of an impeachment inquiry. Also in Sunday’s Post, George Will cites James Madison’s view that the power to impeach is “indispensable” to control of executive abuse of power.

Now, I have great disdain for her also, but she has more than enough baggage to weigh her down without additional fallacies...

Last edited:

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIESEL