Hope you didnt google it better yet hope your Son told you
Nope. No google
Was a big sabbath head back in the day before I found the dead
Boy sitting here next to me and we listening to it. He knows it well too👍
Good stuff

WhatKnot

Well-Known Angler
May 18, 2019
Roccus, have you ever watched ‘ Maine Cabin Masters’ I find it hard to believe the price they quote. Albeit I’m a NYC guy but I can’t see it being done, maybe TV revenue? Also how would they deal with the sewage in this pristine area?

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Roccus, have you ever watched ‘ Maine Cabin Masters’ I find it hard to believe the price they quote. Albeit I’m a NYC guy but I can’t see it being done, maybe TV revenue? Also how would they deal with the sewage in this pristine area?
AAMOF we just started watching it because the DYI channel has magically become unlocked on our satellite package.

Like ANY home improvement "reality show" the prices are just WRONG, rural Maine not withstanding. Most times the jobs are $20K, although one we just watched it was an extravagant $60K, but that was almost a complete tear down and rebuild.

It seems that with many of these shows they're just charging for materials, not labor. All contractors hate these shows because it gives folks very unrealistic expectations in terms of cost and time, although the time frame of Cabin Masters jobs is usually appropriate. The $60K project took 7 months.

As for sewage for folks not living in a town with community sewage options, there are 4 options depending on what town you're in and your soil type. Don't forget that unlike LI, which is a giant sandbox, Maine is mostly hard ledge, although the coast can be marine clay around ledge. Blasting out foundations around here is quite common, but when you build on a rock, your sewage options become limited.
  1. Ye olde privy house: Yup in some places you can still dig a hole and put a shed with a crescent mooned door on it. This one is being phased away, but is usually grandfathered for existing structures.

2. The Honey Dipper Special: separate sewage and grey water, putting the sewage directly in tanks to be carted away. The grey water can be jettisoned to where ever you like. I've seen this on houses built on small, rocky islands. I guess they just have the local marina's Crap Barge motor over and pump them out.

3. Classic septic tank and leach field system. This is the system that is enforce if ground conditions allow. I have this and it's not too bad. My tank is 1500 gallons and needs to get pumped every 4 years. Leach field is "uphill" so I have to pump leach water uphill, but need to do that because of topography, soil, and regulated distance from water requirements.

4. Overboard Discharge: Another system that Maine is trying to have phased out. The days of untreated, direct overboard discharge are long gone; the systems in place must have a tank of some sort for the solids and either chemical, UV or both treatment of the waste water prior to being discharged. This is another system trying to be phased out. AAMOF, the local school about 1/2 upriver from me just had their system switched over to a leach field 3 years ago.
And that friends, ends today's "$hit $eminar"...

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Mud

jpd

Staff member
Dec 24, 2018
  1. Classic septic tank and leach field system. This is the system that is enforce if ground conditions allow. I have this and it's not too bad. My tank is 1500 gallons and needs to get pumped every 4 years. Leach field is "uphill" so I have to pump leach water uphill, but need to do that because of topography, soil, and regulated distance from water requirements.
And that friends, ends today's "$hit $eminar"...
Our HOA in RI has a similar setup, with natural gas generators hooked up to the pumps when there are power outages.
They were investigating whether the generators could supply limited power to the townhomes in outages, but I guess they figured it was more trouble than it's worth.

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Fact that we have that pump, along with a well and all power lines run on poles in a highly treed environment sealed the deal on getting a standby generator capable of running the entire house. One of the best investments ever made, now I can Chit, Shower and Shave no matter what Mother Nature throws our way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUI