Do they think we're idiots!

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com

You can kill them with sonar, otherwise slow down​

Extension of Right Whale Slow Zone SE of New York City, NY - Effective Through March 19​

On March 4, 2023, New York Bight NW buoy operated by Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution redetected the presence of right whales southeast of New York City, NY. This right whale Slow Zone is in effect through March 19, 2023.

As a reminder, six additional Slow Zones are also currently in effect. Locations and effective dates are listed below.

VOLUNTARY Right whale "Slow Zone" AREAS

Mariners are requested to avoid or transit at 10 knots or less inside the following Dynamic Management Areas (DMA) and Acoustic Slow Zones where right whales have been detected.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
George are you still in FLA?
I dont want to steer this off course but are manatees still dying off in record numbers down there?
I bring that up because Im curious how what is happening in the Northeast compares to other areas to have some sort of a baseline

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
George are you still in FLA?
I dont want to steer this off course but are manatees still dying off in record numbers down there?
I bring that up because Im curious how what is happening in the Northeast compares to other areas to have some sort of a baseline

SWFL is dealing with a bad case of red tide it is currently destroying the inshore fishery. There is zero connection.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
SWFL is dealing with a bad case of red tide it is currently destroying the inshore fishery. There is zero connection.
Are there any other areas of the planet/world that are seeing any sort of large marine creature die offs?

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
Still no evidence on windmills and if that is the conclusion it will be denied and called a conspiracy by the gubermint scientists. IMHO

Finding such whale bodies used to be relatively rare, but starting in 2007, whales started washing up more regularly, says Rob DiGiovanni, the chief scientist at the New York-based Atlantic Marine Conservation Society. But whale sightings have also been on the rise, potentially indicating that the overall population has increased. “Really the biggest question is: are we seeing more whale strandings, or are we seeing more whales, and strandings are occurring?” says DiGiovanni.

But another theory has been circulating online and on conservative talk shows—that the offshore wind industry, which has been conducting work off the coast of New York and New Jersey as it prepares to install massive wind turbines, is responsible for the whale deaths. Some New Jersey politicians have called for a moratorium on offshore wind work until it can be ruled out as a cause of the whale deaths, though there’s no evidence to support claims that wind development has anything to do with the whales washing up, according to federal fisheries experts.

Despite that lack of evidence, some conservative news commentators have implied that there could be a conspiracy by scientists to hide the offshore wind industry’s supposed role in whale deaths. “How much you want to bet that those scientists find no conclusive evidence that wind farms are a threat to the whale population,” Newsmax host Rob Schmitt said on his Newsmax program on Feb. 2. “Because they always seem to get the result that they want.” Such comments are echoed on community anti-wind power Facebook groups.

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
Are there any other areas of the planet/world that are seeing any sort of large marine creature die offs?
The death of about 200 pilot whales at a Tasmanian beach has renewed questions about what causes such mass strandings and whethe
The death of about 200 pilot whales at a Tasmanian beach has renewed questions about what causes such mass strandings and whether they can be prevented.

Are strandings becoming more common?​

Possibly. Strandings are natural phenomena and have been documented since the days of Aristotle. The health of the oceans has, however, deteriorated in recent decades.

Strandings could become more common as human use of the seas, shipping traffic and chemical pollution all increase.

Epizootic diseases—outbreaks of sickness that affect a specific animal species—could also lead to more. But there is still much to understand about the phenomenon, Stockin said.

Is climate change a factor?​

Research on how climate change is affecting marine mammals is still in its infancy. Experts know that climate change can give rise to changes in prey and predator distribution. For some species, this may result in whales coming closer to shore.

For example, recent research based on current climate prediction models suggests that by the year 2050, the distribution of sperm whales and blue whales in New Zealand could vary considerably.

Can strandings be prevented?​

Not really. As strandings occur for a multitude of reasons, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. But Stockin said that by better understanding whether and how human-induced changes are causing more mass strandings, solutions could be found

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
WHY,,,you just said they have been going on for years. Go pick apart some of the obviously flawed posts before mine. Don't be chicken chit
We're not talking about pilot whales in this windmill thread, we're talking about whales, and a pilot "whale" is actually a dolphin.

So you should limit the scope of your "insightful" posts on members of the Order Cetacea, not Delphinidae.

Reactions: dsedy

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
We're not talking about pilot whales in this windmill thread, we're talking about whales, and a pilot "whale" is actually a dolphin.

So you should limit the scope of your "insightful" posts on members of the Order Cetacea, not Delphinidae.
The death of about 200 pilot whales at a Tasmanian beach has renewed questions about what causes such mass strandings and whethe
The death of about 200 pilot whales at a Tasmanian beach has renewed questions about what causes such mass strandings and whether they can be prevented.

Are strandings becoming more common?​

Possibly. Strandings are natural phenomena and have been documented since the days of Aristotle. The health of the oceans has, however, deteriorated in recent decades.

Strandings could become more common as human use of the seas, shipping traffic and chemical pollution all increase.

Epizootic diseases—outbreaks of sickness that affect a specific animal species—could also lead to more. But there is still much to understand about the phenomenon, Stockin said.

Is climate change a factor?​

Research on how climate change is affecting marine mammals is still in its infancy. Experts know that climate change can give rise to changes in prey and predator distribution. For some species, this may result in whales coming closer to shore.

For example, recent research based on current climate prediction models suggests that by the year 2050, the distribution of sperm whales and blue whales in New Zealand could vary considerably.

Can strandings be prevented?​

Not really. As strandings occur for a multitude of reasons, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. But Stockin said that by better understanding whether and how human-induced changes are causing more mass strandings, solutions could be found

Hey @movetheboat - Sadly, you seem to be missing the point. I say sadly, as I see you as someone that loves the sea and the marine environment. I don't know a single angler that agrees with your views - not one. In fact this is the only time that I can recall that commercial, industry and recreational anglers, along with many environmentalists, agree on something. Left, Right, or Middle, no one wants to see these whales killed. And we have proof that they approved the killing of thousands of whales over the next 5 years.

You can find as many articles as you like. I'm sure the wind industry has posted more AI content on how great they are for the environment all over the web. But it's all BS. The proof I have provided is actual documents from various government agencies. Not some blog written by a bot.

I was hoping you could respond to the FACT - not denied by the gov't - that they have approved the killing of thousands of whales. Why would they do that if whales weren't going to die? That is the question here. All of the crazy theories about the water somehow becoming toxic is ridiculous.

You keep skirting this fact because you have no answer.

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
With all due respect

I have an answer.....there are also documents that state there is no proof that the wind mills are causing any of this. The document you refer to states that there MAY be deaths due to this, fairly honest statement, that also doesn't state they APPROVE of that , just that it is a possibility that they acknowledge, along with a POSSIBLE acknowledged body count. You have tunnel visioned this one thing, and hang your hat on it.

It is because I care that I wish to see the unbiased research into the cause of this. I would also like to say that SADLY minds are already made up and any other determination will be ignored or classified as lies. If anyone has proof that the windmills are causing all these strandings, I have not seen it.

So not a single angler you know agrees with my view that we simply don't have enough evidence to blame this on the wind mills?? So again lets be clear my view is that most likely there are numerous conditions that are causing these whale deaths including possibly the wind mills, and that further research is needed. If you don't know a single angler that agrees with that it's because of their disdain for green energy and those who promote it, and they gladly jump to the conclusion that the wind mills are to blame. I find that extremely short sighted and a great dis-service to our marine environment to seek the factual truth.

I bet the whale deaths will drop drastically from this point without anything being done on the mills. Every ship coming anywhere near NY and NJ will be getting a heads up.

At least I hope so!!!

CHEERS!!

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
With all due respect

I have an answer.....there are also documents that state there is no proof that the wind mills are causing any of this. The document you refer to states that there MAY be deaths due to this, fairly honest statement, that also doesn't state they APPROVE of that , just that it is a possibility that they acknowledge, along with a POSSIBLE acknowledged body count. You have tunnel visioned this one thing, and hang your hat on it.

It is because I care that I wish to see the unbiased research into the cause of this. I would also like to say that SADLY minds are already made up and any other determination will be ignored or classified as lies. If anyone has proof that the windmills are causing all these strandings, I have not seen it.

So not a single angler you know agrees with my view that we simply don't have enough evidence to blame this on the wind mills?? So again lets be clear my view is that most likely there are numerous conditions that are causing these whale deaths including possibly the wind mills, and that further research is needed. If you don't know a single angler that agrees with that it's because of their disdain for green energy and those who promote it, and they gladly jump to the conclusion that the wind mills are to blame. I find that extremely short sighted and a great dis-service to our marine environment to seek the factual truth.

I bet the whale deaths will drop drastically from this point without anything being done on the mills. Every ship coming anywhere near NY and NJ will be getting a heads up.

At least I hope so!!!

CHEERS!!
@movetheboat I appreciate your input here, but again you are missing the point. This is not about green energy. It's about whales being sacrificed in the name of green energy.

There are no documents proving they're not killing them. There's plenty of spin and bs articles, but nothing that proves they're not causing these deaths. Again, wind farm companies were given permission to kill them.

We do agree on one thing and that is more research is needed. It should be shut down until we know more.

Reactions: longcast

dsedy

Well-Known Angler
Jan 31, 2019
At his point, with regard to marine life, it's not about Windmills. It is entirely about the sonar tows and other instruments being to map the seabed floor, and the devices used to pile drive into the ocean floor, that severely disrupt these mammals' communication and navigation ability., and lead to the "side effects' listed in the NOAA authorization for use document.

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
@movetheboat I appreciate your input here, but again you are missing the point. This is not about green energy. It's about whales being sacrificed in the name of green energy.

There are no documents proving they're not killing them. There's plenty of spin and bs articles, but nothing that proves they're not causing these deaths. Again, wind farm companies were given permission to kill them.

We do agree on one thing and that is more research is needed. It should be shut down until we know more.
I can agree to that, they are also most likely taking other pre-cautions regarding boat traffic etc. so I believe the body count goes down from here.

I certainly defer to your knowledge in all things marine due to your background and contacts as we await the outcome of all this, if we even get one.

I also appreciate Dons (old mud) input as he has probably spent more time on water than land and squeezed more salt water out of his socks than some of us have sailed upon. :)

Reactions: george

OVERBORED

Well-Known Angler
Jan 6, 2021
At his point, with regard to marine life, it's not about Windmills. It is entirely about the sonar tows and other instruments being to map the seabed floor, and the devices used to pile drive into the ocean floor, that severely disrupt these mammals' communication and navigation ability., and lead to the "side effects' listed in the NOAA authorization for use document.
Just to add, the damage from these instruments is very hard to prove. IMHO, what we are seeing is the end result which is a disoriented animal instinctively going to the surface where it meets his demise.

Considering the ambition of these wind projects, I can't imagine how much gear they tow around!

Members online

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mj_Neale8