New Braid to Mono leader Knot - the SC - Looks EASY!

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
I can't tie the FG on my boat. No way, not with all the crisscrossing. I just can't keep track of where I'm at in the "weave," what with all the other distractions on the tog grounds. So that's why I'm very interested in finding a stronger knot than the Double-Uni that I can tie aboard the boat - though in fact the past three seasons I've never lost my shock leader while using either the FG or the Bobbin PR.

But it could happen, and so I'm trying to find "that" knot that will be as strong as those two and still be tie-able on my boat. not to mention the clanking thru the guides and occasional hanging in my small-diameter tip-tops. The Double-Uni definitely is not he knot to deal with all that.

But, I think this SC knot might be "the One." That's why I shared it, though I'm beginning to regret doing so. . . :rolleyes:

Oh, btw, I don't use a shock leader for fluke - I tie my braid directly to the top swivel of my B/S rig, with a 12-turn Improved clinch. Never had that fail, either.
Lep, my apology too. No intention to derail, just sharing my experience and how I fish as it relates to knots, rigging, etc.

I'm a simple guy! :)

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Nah, no worries guys.

P1 - what you are suggesting is a leader that doesn't have to enter the tip top - because using a swivel would preclude that from happening. So you use a relatively short leader. On most tog setups a longer shock/abrasion leader is needed, in case one has to deal with high-rise obstructions. So its not unusual to use a 7 -10' leader. Therefore the use of a strong, very slim knot is needed, hence my explorations for such a knot. One that's both strong and easy to tie.

Reactions: movetheboat

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
When the bite is on and you break off and rush the knot to get back into the water I can guarantee you the big one will hit....and POP! LOL!

Reactions: Roccus7

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Nah, no worries guys.

P1 - what you are suggesting is a leader that doesn't have to enter the tip top - because using a swivel would preclude that from happening. So you use a relatively short leader. On most tog setups a longer shock/abrasion leader is needed, in case one has to deal with high-rise obstructions. So its not unusual to use a 7 -10' leader. Therefore the use of a strong, very slim knot is needed, hence my explorations for such a knot.
Exactly. On the kayak and on our bay boat, I am rarely in water deeper than 25' and usually in the teens. I only net the obvious "keepers" and try to shake off anything else. On either "vessel" I am so close to the water already that I can get away with a 4' or even a 3' leader. I don't really know if it makes much difference, but I use fluoro for all leaders. I go even shorter at times surfcasting since I don't want the lure dangling 4 feet down and just use those "paper clips" now.

OVERBORED

New Angler
Jan 6, 2021
Since my eyesight sucks and my knot tying on a boat is "challenged" I've gotten into the habit of bringing spare reels with me. Especially tog fishing. I always bring and extra Newell 229 and Saltiga 15 ready to go. its bailed me out a couple of times!

That said, Im always looking to improve my fishing knowledge and this knot suggestion is going to get the twice over. Thanks!

Tigashrk

Angler
Mar 3, 2019
I’m a fg fan. I usually tie new ones before I fish as part of my prep. I have tied so many in the last few years I find it easy. I do a lot of rigging both on my boat and the boat I crew on, so I get a lot of practice.

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Here's a knot I've used and like for tying on a pitching deck. Its nice with lighter mono/floro leaders, but if you're using 30lb or above leader, it still does the "bump thru the guides thing," which is what I try to avoid. For light lines/leaders though, this one is one of the best. I think its faster than the Double Uni.

B4sunup

New Angler
Dec 19, 2018
Hey Pete, I love the FG, but when the bites on and I need a quick tie, I'll throw a barrel swivel on with an improved clinch knot in 30 seconds anywhere anytime.
Like you, I'm looking for an easy knot to tie that's as easy as an improved clinch knot. It doesn't exist for this application.
The GT knot is an easier knot to tie than all of these knots, and tests very well. I'm going to give it a try this year.

Artie

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Hiya Artie, good to see you here! Yes, of course a swivel with a couple of improved clinches is easier. For casting. Not for black fishing. I think there's some confusion on this thread regarding the "why," if not the "how." So let me clarify - as I wrote earlier:

" . . . what you are suggesting is a leader that doesn't have to enter the tip top - because using a swivel would preclude that from happening. So you use a relatively short leader. On most tog setups a longer shock/abrasion leader is needed, in case one has to deal with high-rise obstructions. So its not unusual to use a 7 -10' leader. Therefore the use of a strong, very slim knot is needed, hence my explorations for such a knot. One that's both strong and easy to tie."

For a casting with a relatively short leader, I wouldn't bother with learning any of these knots. The swivel is fine. For longer leaders, its not possible to use a swivel, you need a knot that will run through the guides, with a minimum of hanging.

So in my searching, last season I stuck with the PR Bobbin, which had a little bit of a learning curve to properly master. I experienced zero failures with this knot though, which is the goal.

As a result, I never lost a leader, nor did I need to cut one back to the point of having to replace it. If I had, I'da probably used the Double Uni - which I do not care for, first, because when tied with 40lb mono or flouro it clangs through my tiptop and smaller guides, and second, because its the weakest of all the braid/leader knots.

I think "the Plan" for me at least, is to stick with the PR Bobbin when initially setting up my rods in my garage, and if I should have to replace a long tog rod leader whilst on the boat, then the SC will get the nod.

Well, that's the plan anyway.

Hey, does anyone else here use the PR Bobbin? Its a "way cool" knot to tie - once mastered. Super, super strong, too. I got my bobbin from AliExpress, I think it was like $10, shipped. Its a kinda basic model. Shimano offers one that is far better built for like quadruple the price. I didn't want to spend the coin initially, as I wasn't sure I'd "enjoy" tying this knot. I was too conservative, because as it turns out, I LOVE tying this one!

It is actually very easy to use - the secret is in using the proper tension (or tightness) setting for the little spool. Once you "get it," its a snap to do - and the results are truly excellent. I must have hung up 50 times last season - not a single failure of this knot. I call that a win!

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

Somewhat less complicated:

B4sunup

New Angler
Dec 19, 2018
Pete, as you know most of my fishing is done on the beach. I wasn't implying you could use the barrel swivel for black fishing.
I was suggesting the GT knot as an option though. I think it's easier to tie than your preferred knot.

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Yes, I have used the GT - which is really no more than a Uni with a double overhand stop knot. Very easy to tie. Its good, except with today's trend toward smaller and smaller guides on casting rods, it (the GT) is another guide-clanger. Maybe with the relatively large guides still used on surf rods and most spinning rods the GT would be OK.

But try to use it with a 40lb Big Game leader, on a Daiwa Proteus SS casting rod or other very similar rods and you run the risk of either hanging in the tip top's elongated frame, or worse, bending one of the first four "micro" guides. I don't think its outside the realm of possibility that the GT could actually rip a micro guide right out of its thread wrap, if it hangs up on a hard-fighting fish. That would be bad.

This is why the extensive quest for knots that will better flow thru the guides - and the point of this thread. The FG, SC and my new fav, the PR Bobbin all meet the "smooth-flowing" criteria. And naturally, all are more difficult to tie than old-school Double Unis and GTs. Figures . . .

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Been trying the SC knot, just can't seem to get my fingers working for this one. Keep trying.
John

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James