New Mercury V12, 600Hp

Roccus makes a number of good points about Outboard powered hulls and I do agree with them too. Total disclosure here, I owned and fished in 2 different Grady 's for a total of 25 years. The 24' I mentioned earlier was the traditional, classic design with the cut out transom, a drop down splash well and a reasonable amount of room to fish around either side of the single engine. Next I bought an I/O Grady 25 thinking I needed to have a full transom to keep the constant wave action out of the cockpit while drifting the Gut and the Race. Although it kept my feet dry I have to admit it was the worst choice I ever made in terms of restricting the overall cockpit space and mucho expensive on some repairs.

However, as space consuming as the I/O was, once again, I have to agree with Roccus in regards to the current generation twin console boats with the eurotransoms. While I do love Grady's a lot (obviously), last summer I was invited on a friend's 275 Dual Console and was shocked to see how little actual deck space there was on a vessel with almost the same LOA as my Albin. First the transom with the live well and fold up seat made it tough to fish directly off the stern. Then he had the combo sink/tackle center in the cockpit barely enough room for 3 anglers there.. Moving forward you have the molded in seats in the bow with a fairly narrow channel between them. So, fishing the bow I had to stretch my arms out uncomfortably far or stand on the seats to get close to the water. This guy is a pretty hard core fisherman who used to charter with me but I do know he now does a lot of other family related activities too. So I guess the compromise was good for his purposes. I also have to say that with twin 250 Yamahas that boat really flies.

Once again, on the side of the outboards it the significant increase in speed one can achieve, assuming you don't mind paying the fuel bill and actually have the sea conditions to allow it.

While I love my boat and it is perfect for it's mission of hard core fishing and charter operation, I must also say I am jealous of your ride, Roccus. It too is perfectly suited to your needs and location. And I sure would love to have your overall cost of operation as compared to my own!

BTW, my rig tops out at 27 kts with the throttle firewalled and that only happens once a season as I check her out on the spring shakedown run. I am very comfy cruising along at 17 kts.

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
BTW, my rig tops out at 27 kts with the throttle firewalled and that only happens once a season as I check her out on the spring shakedown run. I am very comfy cruising along at 17 kts.

EXACTLY the same with me. I only hit that throttle during a very protected part of the launch run from the boat ramp to the barn. My cruising sweet spot is 20 kts, 4700 RPM. Lets the ponies run a bit, but doesn't break the "Feed Bag Budget"...

If I were to "trade up", the boat of my dreams used to be the Grady 25 version of mine (Eastern 22 Lobsterman). Much to my dismay, Grady discontinued it, and I'm really starting to love my displacement hull. I'm pretty much resigned that this will be the boat for my Viking Funeral...

Last edited:

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Two statements I agree with:

"BTW, my rig tops out at 27 kts with the throttle firewalled and that only happens once a season as I check her out on the spring shakedown run. I am very comfy cruising along at 17 kts."

I'm a few knots faster than that, but I couldn't agree more with the sentiment. My Uncle used to say "You can conquer the World at 20kts." He was on the money with that one. Who wants to walk off the boat feeling all beat up after a long day on the water? Not this old guy.

"I'm pretty much resigned that this will be the boat for my Viking Funeral..."

One of my favorite sayings. Maybe not so surprisingly, one of my wife's as well, every Winter when she looks out the kitchen window and sees my rig asleep up on its blocks . . . I would prefer that end-game be more than a few seasons down the road though.

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
Watch those Haulover Inlet video's and you know you need at least 6 of these to make boating worth while ;)
Some folks have a lot more money than me.

Speaking of euro-transom and pulpit...
I have a 2002 Proline, 17 feet. Years later I looked at 19 foot Proline. They added the euro-transom and pulpit to the length overall. I think my interior at 17 feet had more room than the 19.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Speaking of euro-transom and pulpit...
I have a 2002 Proline, 17 feet. Years later I looked at 19 foot Proline. They added the euro-transom and pulpit to the length overall. I think my interior at 17 feet had more room than the 19.
EXACTLY!!! Back in IL fished with a friend with an older 19' Proline CC on Lake Michigan, and after one outing when we got to the ramp to haul out, there was the "new" 19 Eurotrashsom" Proline CC. We looked at each other and agreed that the older model had at least 25%, if not 33%, more fishing space!!!

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Remember when Ralph Kramden wanted a motor boat with three propellers and everybody laughed ? Now they have motorboats down in Florida with 6 propellers. Insane ! And I'm buying a 25 Foot Panga boat with 60 HP and I'll do about 20 miles an hour. Boats shouldn't race around crowded bays like cars.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I don't like some of those outboard designs. I want a motor that looks good also. Evinrude has a weird design.

"Looks" would be damn close to the very bottom of my "Important Factors When Buying An Outboard" List, especially since when she's running, I'm not looking at her...

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
So does that mean this boat can use less motors?
I'd say this boat could use an owner who's not trying to overcompensate for something to impress the "crew" or other clueless onlookers...

To me, a transom full of motors is a display of "I have lots of money, but don't have a clue how to use it with any degree of common sense" much like folks who drove around suburbia in Hummer H1s.

WhatKnot

Well-Known Angler
May 18, 2019
Astoria
I’m not sure that I would like backing a boat into a slip with that New Mercury engine and not seeing the orientation of the engines. I realize that there is a directional gauge on the control but I’m looking at the stern when backing down.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I’m not sure that I would like backing a boat into a slip with that New Mercury engine and not seeing the orientation of the engines. I realize that there is a directional gauge on the control but I’m looking at the stern when backing down.
Really great point, hadn't thought of that, this from the person that hated hydraulic steering because he couldn't put a "Motor Amidship" marker on the helm...

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York

If the guy can afford that power plant, he can afford to have a bow thruster and everything else that takes away the necessity of skill while docking a boat.

No way that boat needs 2700 HP. He could probably get about the same speed with 900. At some point you are just stirring the water up without much additional thrust. Watch the Haulover Inlet channels on YouTube. More bucks than brains!

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
Hey, if they have the money, let them spend it. I'll bet there are people wondering how we can spend $75 or more on a rod or reel when the Walmart rod and reel combo was $40.

Reactions: live bait

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nisa1823