Peconic Porgy Slam-fest This Morning!

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
Cant thank you guys enough for your responses! My boat is basically a tender.... 12.5ft zodiac with 20hp 4 stroke. I dont even trailer it! Lives rolled up in my truck bed waiting for duty call. I hadnt taken prevailing winds into consideration as most of my fishing is in Jamaica bay and the Bight area and I know the good travel routes for the conditions. Plus, I generally wont even go out if the conditions are suspect for such a small craft. I've had the boat in the Sound twice and have experienced that afternoon pick-up. Made for a bumpy wet ride for sure. I thought the bay would be more sheltered but I guess when you get that far east, there's not a lot of land mass to break up flows.

Capt. Mike. I'm greatly appreciative of your advice. I will definitely call. $50 is what it is and I more want the experience of sizable porgies. They rarely exceed 15/16 inches by me and that's much later in the season. I think it's worth the effort/ cost.

My pleasure, Sinistre1. One of the benefits to fishing in the Peconic Bay system is you have a large bay that is surrounded by different land formations in several areas. No matter which direction the wind blows you can almost always find a spot in the lee where you can fish comfortably, even in a small boat. Ture, some spots yield more super large Porgy but it is rare that you get totally blown out unless Small Craft warnings are posted. In fact, there is an area known as the Brickyard that is literally minutes outside of the harbor at Brick Cove Marina. It is situated just a little west with a mixed bottom terrain. You will often see several boats fishing this spot. If the wind is puffing a bit out of the North, this spot is well protected and very close to shore and the launch ramp. You will see various sized Porgies here but with some patience there are enough 17-19" fish to satisfy most.

One of a few challenges with Orient is that once you leave the small harbor you are right in the middle of Gardiners Bay. This is a wide open body of water that can be every bit as rough as the LI Sound on a breezy day.

Also, I have an update on the Orient by the Sea facility as of today! A buddy and I went Bass fishing this morning in Plum Gut (lost of action but all shorts still). When we lost the tide I decided to enter the Orient Harbor on our way home to see how the renovations are coming along. Although we still cannot charter fish in NY several of the Orient boats are now back in their slips on the West bulkhead, inner basin. There is extensive work being done on the east bulkhead, the outer basin, and the launch ramp, which was definitely closed. If anyone does want to use that ramp later in the season when fishing heats up in the Sound I would strongly advise you call ahead before heading out.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
So the reason I could not make trip today was because my son had to take an AP world history test on line today but dang it looked like it would have been a good day for it. At 3pm I took a ride to HD in riverhead and went over the bridge on105 over the river and looked East and saw how awesome it looked and almost cried LOL

I’m fully locked in for early next week and hope the conditions work out in our favor👍

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Put a hurting on the porgies this morning. Fished about 6 miles west of the fleet, kept about a dozen between 13/15” & put many keepers back. John

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
Well, so far no joy. I tried Brick Cove throughout the day. Goes straight to busy voicemail. Will try again today but not looking too good.

Sorry for the difficulty but sometimes I too have trouble getting through. I was there today and the office gal was at her desk but on the phone a lot. As you can imagine, with the Holiday weekend approaching, BCM like most marinas are jamming to handle all the folks who want to get launched and stat using their boats.
Weather looks crummy tomorrow but I know the office will be open. Keep trying and you will eventually get through.

Reactions: Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Oh man. So bummed I couldn’t make the run today😥
This looks to be have been the perfect day I was looking for
I hope whoever was lucky enuf to be on the water today had a great day!!!

AND....
Thank You 🙏 to all veterans and those who served

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
It"s good to know they are open. I will keep trying. I can imagine everyone is going to try to get to the water this weekend. I'm going to keep trying and hope I can finagle a day off Tues or Wednesdays after the holiday crowd leaves. If I haven't said thanks already I will say it again. Honestly cant say it enough. It warms my heart that their are still people who will make a effort for their fellow man. That you are doing so for a stranger is aces in my book. I will do my best to pay it forward.

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
Sorry for the difficulty but sometimes I too have trouble getting through. I was there today and the office gal was at her desk but on the phone a lot. As you can imagine, with the Holiday weekend approaching, BCM like most marinas are jamming to handle all the folks who want to get launched and stat using their boats.
Weather looks crummy tomorrow but I know the office will be open. Keep trying and you will eventually get through.
My pleasure, Sinistre1. One of the benefits to fishing in the Peconic Bay system is you have a large bay that is surrounded by different land formations in several areas. No matter which direction the wind blows you can almost always find a spot in the lee where you can fish comfortably, even in a small boat. Ture, some spots yield more super large Porgy but it is rare that you get totally blown out unless Small Craft warnings are posted. In fact, there is an area known as the Brickyard that is literally minutes outside of the harbor at Brick Cove Marina. It is situated just a little west with a mixed bottom terrain. You will often see several boats fishing this spot. If the wind is puffing a bit out of the North, this spot is well protected and very close to shore and the launch ramp. You will see various sized Porgies here but with some patience there are enough 17-19" fish to satisfy most.

One of a few challenges with Orient is that once you leave the small harbor you are right in the middle of Gardiners Bay. This is a wide open body of water that can be every bit as rough as the LI Sound on a breezy day.

Also, I have an update on the Orient by the Sea facility as of today! A buddy and I went Bass fishing this morning in Plum Gut (lost of action but all shorts still). When we lost the tide I decided to enter the Orient Harbor on our way home to see how the renovations are coming along. Although we still cannot charter fish in NY several of the Orient boats are now back in their slips on the West bulkhead, inner basin. There is extensive work being done on the east bulkhead, the outer basin, and the launch ramp, which was definitely closed. If anyone does want to use that ramp later in the season when fishing heats up in the Sound I would strongly advise you call ahead before heading out.

Hey Capt , I am relatively new to the Shinnecock Bay Area , I bought a small place in Hampton Bays a few years ago. In fact , I made my very first solo trip on Thursday to Jessups Neck on my 19’CC for those famous big Peconic porgy . If I may pick your brain on the Brick yard area .... I am an avid shallow water Tog guy with jigs/ light spinner but where I am on the South shore in Shinnecock there are no shallow water Blackfish spots , it’s only in the ocean and somewhat deep. I have seen some old posts on NE back in the day about early season Blackfishing at the Brickyard. Is it worth it for me to take the ride from Shinnecock in October for Tog at the Brickyard. I also have never fished there before,
I looked on the chart and I think they said it’s east of Port of Egypt . The last few years I pulled my boat in October and took it back to Connecticut in the western sound and put it at my old boat club until late November. I know those waters and have some nice Blackfish spots plus I boated there for some years and know the area a lot better than I know shinny or the Peconics for that matter. If there is decent Togging at the brickyard then maybe I will just keep my boat at my marina in shinny and enjoy some October Bassing and take a few trips weather permitting to the brickyard. What’s your thoughts on this,
Thanks

Hi Occh,
The Brickyard is just east of POE and a little west of Brick Cove Marina. Most of the terrain there are the remnants of the foundry that used to literally make bricks on the property where my home port now resides. So the bottom is fairly scattered, not just a single rough patch. Depths in the sticky areas range from about 30-50'. Despite the fairly shallow nature and being close to shore, the tide actually runs pretty hard in there, especially during the full moon and new moon periods as the water swings around the NW side of Shelter I. So, to effectively fish there with jigs you need to time your trips to work the 1-2 window surrounding slack water. During the 1/4 moon phases you will have a little longer window.

As far as productivity goes, honestly I feel for Tog this spot is a shadow of what it once was. You will find days when there will be plenty of life but mostly short fish with only the occasional keeper. Currently it's really a much better Porgy and Fluke location. There are also a few rocky patches just a little south of there on the west side of Shelter I. in 30-40' of water. However, same situation applies in terms of fish sizes, keeper ratio, and tides. It's really a shame since as recently as 5 years ago I could still work those spots and come up with enough keepers to satisfy a 4 man charter. Since this area is more protected than the areas we work in the open Sound they are subject to more pressure. If you get to them early enough in the season you might still be rewarded with a few for the box.

Actually, there is a better approach, assuming your boat is set up properly. The rocks at the Greenport Jetty , around Bug Light, and also the breakwater near South Ferry do hold some decent Tog and don't get as much pressure. The trick here is to either have one of those nifty new Trolling Motors with Spot lock or be able to safely anchor you boat close enough to cast up to the rocks without risking being swept into them on a strong wind or tide. situation. I really cant do this with a 28 footer but I know guys who do it regularly with some good results.

If you want any more of an education than that you will have to charter me for Tog one day this fall.
Hope that helps.
Capt. Mike

Reactions: Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
And that’s why I said earlier on, when Capt Mike talks and more importantly, shares info, Pay attention!!!

Thanks Capt 🙏🙏
Good stuff in that post👍

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
@ Chinacat.... I see! Lol. Have no plans to try the toggin' out that way but that's very generous of the Cap. Most of the time just saying whether you were in a fresh or saltwater body is considered enough of a spot burn to garner you persona non grata status for a lifetime. Lol. Kidding aside, I for one appreciate the schooling.

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
Hi Occh,
The Brickyard is just east of POE and a little west of Brick Cove Marina. Most of the terrain there are the remnants of the foundry that used to literally make bricks on the property where my home port now resides. So the bottom is fairly scattered, not just a single rough patch. Depths in the sticky areas range from about 30-50'. Despite the fairly shallow nature and being close to shore, the tide actually runs pretty hard in there, especially during the full moon and new moon periods as the water swings around the NW side of Shelter I. So, to effectively fish there with jigs you need to time your trips to work the 1-2 window surrounding slack water. During the 1/4 moon phases you will have a little longer window.

As far as productivity goes, honestly I feel for Tog this spot is a shadow of what it once was. You will find days when there will be plenty of life but mostly short fish with only the occasional keeper. Currently it's really a much better Porgy and Fluke location. There are also a few rocky patches just a little south of there on the west side of Shelter I. in 30-40' of water. However, same situation applies in terms of fish sizes, keeper ratio, and tides. It's really a shame since as recently as 5 years ago I could still work those spots and come up with enough keepers to satisfy a 4 man charter. Since this area is more protected than the areas we work in the open Sound they are subject to more pressure. If you get to them early enough in the season you might still be rewarded with a few for the box.

Actually, there is a better approach, assuming your boat is set up properly. The rocks at the Greenport Jetty , around Bug Light, and also the breakwater near South Ferry do hold some decent Tog and don't get as much pressure. The trick here is to either have one of those nifty new Trolling Motors with Spot lock or be able to safely anchor you boat close enough to cast up to the rocks without risking being swept into them on a strong wind or tide. situation. I really cant do this with a 28 footer but I know guys who do it regularly with some good results.

If you want any more of an education than that you will have to charter me for Tog one day this fall.
Hope that helps.
Capt. Mike
Capt Mike, that was way more informative info than I expected , thank you for sharing. With that info, I will probably bring my boat back to Stamford Ct for Fall Blackfish. I just might take you up on your offer for a Blackfish charter, I have never blackfished out your way.
Thanks again & Have a great memorial weekend.

Occh

Hi Occh,
My pleasure. Anyone fishing long enough eventually realizes that having a good spot alone does not guarantee you will catch. There is a lot more to it than that. Heck, even though I have been fishing the Peconics and North Fork/east end waters for over 55 years I still learn new stuff!
I will also let on that some of my very best Blackfish jigging spots are in the shallow waters on the CT side of the Sound. Scored 2 DD's there last fall and my pb of 14.5# a few years earlier. Not to say we don't do well on our own side but like most things in life, timing is everything. Overall last fall's Tog bite and keeper ratio on the North Fork was outstanding!

Sinistre1,
I was able to reach the office at Brick Cove today so here's the scoop. The launch ramp is open to the public at a cost of $50 per day. The office is usually open 9-5, M-F and 9-3 on weekends. You have a couple of options regarding payment. You can call in advance and give them a credit card or you can pay in person, cash or credit upon arrival.

If you arrive and no one is on the property, there is an entrance to the restrooms open 24/7 just past the main office by the vending machines. When you head inside you will also see a second entrance to the office on your left. In this situation the owners ask that you place the $50 fee inside an envelope (bring your own) along with the license plate of your vehicle so they know you are supposed to be on the property. You can slide this under the rear entrance door opposite the restrooms only; too tight a fit out front. Also, the yard guys show up for their workday at 7 a.m. Mon-Sat. and you may pay them along with license info if you choose.

Finally, when it comes to parking your car/trailer there is space near the launch ramp closest to the entrance to the marina on both sides of the entry road. Depending upon the time you arrive you will usuallty see other rigs already parked there, parallel to the road so everyone else can pass.
Aside from booking me for a charter and really learning the ropes that's the best I can do for now.
Have a safe and fun season guys.
Capt. Mike

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
It’s really quite disgusting what going on from state to state in regards to fishing. The tristate area is completely disjointed when it comes to access to our bodies of water. I love how these governors tell us that we should not travel state to state for any reason and that they are all on the same page when they blatantly are not.

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
I can't thank you enough. I'm going to reach out to my brother and see if I can get a day off this week. Realistically, I cant afford a charter in the near future as I'd likely have to foot the whole bill. It would be a big spend under ideal circumstances, I Covid time, it would be near impossible. Honestly. If hadnt had the foresight to get an inflatable years back I'd probably be relegated to shore fishing more often than not. I've 2 years left to go on my truck payments.... that might make a good gift to self around then. I love going out with knowledgeable people. I often learn a lot more than just emulating their style of fishing.... I learn the why's and can apply it to my own. I dont have nearly as many years under my belt but Its been 40 years since my uncle took me striper fishing from the rocks.... easily the best gift he ever gave me, bar none. Hoping to pay it forward. If you are parked/ docked in the area and have a favorite can, a six pack would make a small but sincere expression of my gratitude.

I never mind helping out a fellow fisherman. Certainly much of my knowledge acquired over the years came from others as well. I also well understand the tough financial times many of us are experiencing right now.
So, there is really no need to leave me anything but if you really feel compelled, "The Captains Table" is on the "D" dock, the floating pier right next to the launch ramp, about 2/3 of the way down, on the west side.

Finally, when times get better, if you would like to jump on a charter some time please give me a call. I do split groups all the time so you only have to pay your own share, not the entire cost.

Upcoming forecast looks very good for Tues and Wed so if you can get your brother to join you that would be a good time to take a shot. Personally, I am planning to fish recreationally with a friend one of those 2 days and hope to finally run my first charter of this season on Friday. A Zodiac with a 20hp outboard should not be hard to spot, so if we happen to be out on the same day I will look for you.

Best of luck it you get out.
Capt. Mike

Reactions: Snapprhead27

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
I never mind helping out a fellow fisherman. Certainly much of my knowledge acquired over the years came from others as well. I also well understand the tough financial times many of us are experiencing right now.
So, there is really no need to leave me anything but if you really feel compelled, "The Captains Table" is on the "D" dock, the floating pier right next to the launch ramp, about 2/3 of the way down, on the west side.

Finally, when times get better, if you would like to jump on a charter some time please give me a call. I do split groups all the time so you only have to pay your own share, not the entire cost.

Upcoming forecast looks very good for Tues and Wed so if you can get your brother to join you that would be a good time to take a shot. Personally, I am planning to fish recreationally with a friend one of those 2 days and hope to finally run my first charter of this season on Friday. A Zodiac with a 20hp outboard should not
Hi Occh,
My pleasure. Anyone fishing long enough eventually realizes that having a good spot alone does not guarantee you will catch. There is a lot more to it than that. Heck, even though I have been fishing the Peconics and North Fork/east end waters for over 55 years I still learn new stuff!
I will also let on that some of my very best Blackfish jigging spots are in the shallow waters on the CT side of the Sound. Scored 2 DD's there last fall and my pb of 14.5# a few years earlier. Not to say we don't do well on our own side but like most things in life, timing is everything. Overall last fall's Tog bite and keeper ratio on the North Fork was outstanding!

Hey, I may have missed the info part somewhere but where are you located and are your Blackfish charters 6 man or I think you mentioned 4 also. Do you do splits during Tog season as well and what is the name of your charter. Capt Mike ? I had to go to Rhode Island and Maryland to get my only two DDs , I wouldn’t mind staying closer to home.

Thank you

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
Yes, I'm trying to convince him now. He's prideful and stubborn.... I get it. He wants to pay his own way for everything and being furloughed has him in penny-wise mode (not the evil clown). I am going to keep trying to persuade him for tomorrow or Wednesday. Worst case I'll go and when he see the porgies it will change his mind. It is his first season of boating and my nephew hasn't caught a fish yet. I know it would go a long way towards lifting their spirits. As for spotting me on my boat.... probably from across the bay. Its bright red! Pics from our last outing in Jamaica bay. My brother, sister-in-law, and nephew are in the gray boat. You can see how bright red mine is. Dont judge me, it was a safety feature when I first got the boat. Figured I'd be easier to spot lost at sea. Lol. Hoping to see you on the water. And I will definitely keep the split charter in mind. I'm not a terribly talented tog fisherman and I might pick up some tips to up my game.

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Optimum II