Why I Stopped Watching Wicked Tuna

dsedy

Angler
Jan 31, 2019
That's horrible Don. Loss for words with that industry dynamic up there and the price per pound. which is like 1970/80's pricing. Hope it reverses soon for everyone! Hang in there!

Reactions: Old Mud

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
That's horrible Don. Loss for words with that industry dynamic up there and the price per pound. which is like 1970/80's pricing. Hope it reverses soon for everyone! Hang in there!

Yes it really $ucks what people will do for more money . Kind of spoils having fun whilst trying to make a living.

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
If I remember right, in the late 60's they had trouble getting 10 cents a pound for the giants.

Yes Cappy, that's because the Japanese were telling us it was for "Cat food". I'm sure they had to be LTAO at the gullible Americans. Have you ever seen anyone dress a fish as soon as it hit the deck if it were for "Cat food" .

jpd

Staff member
Dec 24, 2018
If I remember right, in the late 60's they had trouble getting 10 cents a pound for the giants.
10¢ in 1969 is worth 70¢ today, which makes the $1 per lb even worse.

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
Well just to continue on with this here is the latest on the Tuna situation here. For the last week or so (according to my buyer and 3 guys i know that have brought in fish) it has been mostly >50 cents to a dollar with about 1 in 20 bringing 5. or $ 6. I haven't known anyone up here getting the "Carrot" 5 or 6. Saturday they shut down (My buyer) and "won't be buying fish till further notice". A Great fisheries gone to HELL.

So when you watch Wicked next season pay close attention to what they were getting for their fish. It'll probably drop down to only $22. :p

If this belongs in another thread you can move it.

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
They were still worthless in 1976 when i was working in seafood not even worth the 5 cents a pound to ship them we called them horse mackerel i remember the sunrise fish company's pound nets off robert moses getting full of huge bluefins in the spring when they made their run east along the beach and they would just open up the purse on the end of the net and let them go thats how little they were worth.

Reactions: george and Old Mud

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
They were still worthless in 1976 when i was working in seafood not even worth the 5 cents a pound to ship them we called them horse mackerel i remember the sunrise fish company's pound nets off robert moses getting full of huge bluefins in the spring when they made their run east along the beach and they would just open up the purse on the end of the net and let them go thats how little they were worth.

That 10 cents was had when we took them right to the boat. Just as when we could sell Pogies for 15 cents in the 80's when we took them to the boat. Sometimes we would have to go 5 or 10 miles but the boats were reasonably close to where the action was. Many times On the docks they were worth nothing.

Reactions: flounderjoe

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Interesting read knuckles. I had no clue that the fishery was facing problems and all because the fishery is returning. Why not just keep the same lower regs in the com fishery so the price stays high? At the same time you can open it up more for the recreational angler.

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
If my wife knew this she'd be destroyed. She thinks it'is all real. And it's one of the few shows we watch together.

Geez George don't tell her i said that. :giggle:
Its Real all real.

Marciano brings up a good point about the Bluefin and Lobster fisheries but the main reason the lobster fisheries are so successful is because the fisheries are for the most part managed buy the fisherman. (Maine lobster association.) Not a government entity. The Maine lobster association doesn't pay folks up to 6 figures to sit around "Brainstorming". They all know the fisheries well as they are all physically involved.

sorry Off subject. :)

Oh yeah, thanks Knuckles for sharing that. (y)

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
If my wife knew this she'd be destroyed. She thinks it'is all real. And it's one of the few shows we watch together.
Regrettably my wife knows full well that it's bogus because I'm always yelling at the TV screaming "What a pile of bullchit, $24/lb my azz!!!!!"

Last edited:

Bachala

New Angler
May 14, 2019
if you go to the outer banks and talk to the locals at the docks about the show, they will tell you what happens on the boat is real... what happens at the docks is b.s. all staged

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
if you go to the outer banks and talk to the locals at the docks about the show, they will tell you what happens on the boat is real... what happens at the docks is b.s. all staged

Well that makes sense. but i wonder how many have been down at the bulkhead in Gloucester watching them catch fish ?

Bachala

New Angler
May 14, 2019
Well that makes sense. but i wonder how many have been down at the bulkhead in Gloucester watching them catch fish ?
I asked a guy if Marciano crashing his boat into the bridge was real and was told absolutely.... had multiple people tell me that the price part is a bunch of bull.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
No, I'm not watching it, BUT tonight's episode may be showing an extremely gripping tuna fishing practice that our Tuna Professor Emeritus, Old Mud, has told me about. Anytime I retell this story people react like did at first, shock!

While watching Cosmos this week, there was a WT commercial showing them hooking up a buoy to a rod that was hooked up and throwing the rod and reel over the side!! Our Donald says it's pretty common when you're hooked up with 2 fish. Since trying to land 2 giants is a big gamble that would probably end in 2 lost fish as the line tangle and break, it's a calculated bet to toss one rod & fish over the side to retrieve after landing the other fish!! Rule of thumb is you toss the rod with the smaller fish over.

Back in the day of $20/lb fish, the loss of a rod/reel combo would be easily covered by the landed fish. Nowadays at $8/lb at best fish, I'm thinking they'll be more cutting off than swimming rods.

I may actually record tonight just for this bit.

Last edited:

dsedy

Angler
Jan 31, 2019
No, I'm not watching it, BUT tonight's episode may be showing an extremely gripping tuna fishing practice that our Tuna Professor Emeritus, Old Mud, has told me about. Anytime I retell this story people react like did at first, shock!

While watching Cosmos this week, there was a WT commercial showing them hooking up a buoy to a rod that was hooked up and throwing the rod and reel over the side!! Our Donald says it's pretty common when you're hooked up with 2 fish. Since trying to land 2 giants is a big gamble that would probably end in 2 lost fish as the line tangle and break, it's a calculated bet to toss one rod & fish over the side to retrieve after landing the other fish!! Rule of thumb is you toss the rod with the smaller fish over.

Back in the day of $20/lb fish, the loss of a rod/reel combo would be easily covered by the landed fish. Nowadays at $8/lb at best fish, I'm thinking they'll be more cutting off than swimming rods.

I may actually record tonight just for this bit.
That's pretty cool about the buoy. I saw something similar a few yeas ago while watching one of those "Saltwater Sunday" long range episodes. They were long range fishing off Mexico on the Excel at Revaliggos and Clarion Islands for Yellow Fins/Wahoo etc... Sometimes if they were about the get spooled they would attach the main almost spooled rod/real to another rod/real completely and jump overboard with the second rod/reel and into a jet ski and chase the fish down, ultimately recovering the first rod and hopefully and the tuna as well. When I first saw that I was like "Wow" that is crazy cool.

Reactions: Roccus7

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph ruopoli