Why I Stopped Watching Wicked Tuna

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Saw something like that on a Sunday morning show tarpon fishing in Fla. The fish ran under a section of bridge that the boat couldn't fit under, They tied a life jacket to the rod & tossed it over, ran the boat over to a higher section of the bridge, picked up the life jacket with the rod & continued to fight the fish. Don't think I would send one of my rod & reels for a swim in salt water to land a fish that would end up being released.
John

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
That's pretty cool about the buoy. I saw something similar a few yeas ago while watching one of those "Saltwater Sunday" long range episodes. They were long range fishing off Mexico on the Excel at Revaliggos and Clarion Islands for Yellow Fins/Wahoo etc... Sometimes if they were about the get spooled they would attach the main almost spooled rod/real to another rod/real completely and jump overboard with the second rod/reel and into a jet ski and chase the fish down, ultimately recovering the first rod and hopefully and the tuna as well. When I first saw that I was like "Wow" that is crazy cool.
Clip a poly ball too it chase it down no need for a jet ski

Reactions: dsedy

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
Saw something like that on a Sunday morning show tarpon fishing in Fla. The fish ran under a section of bridge that the boat couldn't fit under, They tied a life jacket to the rod & tossed it over, ran the boat over to a higher section of the bridge, picked up the life jacket with the rod & continued to fight the fish. Don't think I would send one of my rod & reels for a swim in salt water to land a fish that would end up being released.
John
Rods soaked in salt water already?

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
I carry 4 balls on my boat. But the best one is a good friend of mine sometimes fishes with polly balls clipped to all his reels .More than once i have seen him hook up and instantly throw the "Package in the water" . He did that when he marked all the fish under him threw a load of chum and hooked up again. I often heard "Mud, watch that ball" :)

Reactions: dsedy and cany

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
I carry 4 balls on my boat. But the best one is a good friend of mine sometimes fishes with polly balls clipped to all his reels .More than once i have seen him hook up and instantly throw the "Package in the water" . He did that when he marked all the fish under him threw a load of chum and hooked up again. I often heard "Mud, watch that ball" :)
(y) ;)

Reactions: Old Mud

dsedy

Angler
Jan 31, 2019
Like Jaws!! Nice Don!

Reactions: Old Mud

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Yes that's all true. Hey if you record that part please send me a copy ok ? I can't get WT on my antenna.
Got it, but trying to figure out how I can get it too you. I may play it while I've got a video camera on the TV.

Not very exciting, they had one fish head astern and the other taking off forward. The fish off the bow just about spooled the rod so they put that one on the ball. Good idea on that because they dropped the other fish. They did get the fish on the rod they tossed over, dressed to 500 lbs and they got $20 per lb, yeah right!!

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
"Got it, but trying to figure out how I can get it too you. I may play it while I've got a video camera on the TV. "

I don't know what that means. Every time you mention Electronics my brain turns to jelly. :unsure:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph ruopoli