Will the DEC ever build a boat launching ramp on Peconic Bay ????

Fishing Nerd

New Angler
Apr 3, 2019
If you are referring to the ramp at Orient By The Sea, yes that one was a tough one to use. The property was sold, & as of last year that ramp is now closed.
John
Yep, that's the one! I knew they sold the place but wasn't aware they shut down the ramp. Good heads up for anyone who might have gone looking for it, my one trip there was enough for me.

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
Where exactly is the ramp in Oysterpond? My boat is probably small enough to launch from it. I've had a heck of a time finding p li aces to put in out that way and it would probably be worth an eyes on once over to be able to put in earlier in the Spring than the new ramp project would allow.

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Oysterponds is a DEC ramp located on the North side of North road, rt 48, a few miles west of Orient, it’s connected to Truman’s beach. Truman’s is a town of Southold facility, but you can park on the DEC property without a Southold permit. I would suggest a scouting trip one day without the boat to take a look, it’s open to the sound, & has no dock to tie up the boat.........John

Reactions: longcast

Fishing Nerd

New Angler
Apr 3, 2019
Where exactly is the ramp in Oysterpond? My boat is probably small enough to launch from it. I've had a heck of a time finding p li aces to put in out that way and it would probably be worth an eyes on once over to be able to put in earlier in the Spring than the new ramp project would allow.
If you're heading out from west of Riverhead, I'd strongly suggest you go no further east than Mattituck. There's an actual ramp and a pier, a much larger parking lot. The Oysterponds site is literally a concrete slab that goes into the water, nothing more - and as pointed out the tide and wind make launching anything a challenge (I've only dropped my kayak there and on a windy day with a bit of chop even that can interesting).

Sinistre1

New Angler
Jan 28, 2020
If you're heading out from west of Riverhead, I'd strongly suggest you go no further east than Mattituck. There's an actual ramp and a pier, a much larger parking lot. The Oysterponds site is literally a concrete slab that goes into the water, nothing more - and as pointed out the tide and wind make launching anything a challenge (I've only dropped my kayak there and on a windy day with a bit of chop even that can interesting).

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Every Long Island Port should have a State Launching ramp. With all the money they collect from fishermen they have enough money to build ramps. Commercial interests are blocking new ramps. I bet Port of Egypt and marinas out in Southold did everything they could to block construction of the new DEC ramp in Southold. Why did it take 9 years to build ????
Force the State to sign an agreement they'll never turn over control of the ramp to the local gov't out there.

Reactions: Chawk

Chawk

New Angler
Mar 13, 2021
East rockaway ny...
Every Long Island Port should have a State Launching ramp. With all the money they collect from fishermen they have enough money to build ramps. Commercial interests are blocking new ramps. I bet Port of Egypt and marinas out in Southold did everything they could to block construction of the new DEC ramp in Southold. Why did it take 9 years to build ????
Force the State to sign an agreement they'll never turn over control of the ramp to the local gov't out there.
Hello ....So us nassau county people have no way to launch because the towns mind you,who are cash strapped,play this game of no outsiders allowed....????...The port of egypt used to allow a one day pass,now its only monthly....and a lot to go there just a few times....to fish fluke in may....i dont get it.....thats nonsense and the state has plenty of free ramps to NYS residents....i use 3 of them in nassau...one in freeport to mention....uhhh oyster bay....and inwood north...also long beach...none are governed by the local govt i believe....anyone can use... Anyhow they wont issue a permit in greenport until that morning...if its sat then you must drive here....and drive home,,,and drive back, on fri,,,no other way to do it i was told....forget it....Wish the port of egypt still took the daily permit...frustrated over this...i have a trailer boat with a new trailer and cant go where we like...008.JPG

poorrichard

New Angler
Jan 17, 2019
I was referring to the old Orient by the Sea ramp. However with Orient State Park right next store maybe the state can step up and build a ramp in a NY State owner property!

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Really sad reading this, especially living in a state that puts ramps all over the place, both fresh and salt. The only state ramps that need a fee are the ones located inside State Parks and it's the park entry fee you have to pay, not a separate additional one for the ramp. The rest are freebies, and they are a plenty.

And IF a town puts their own ramp in around my neck of the woods, they don't know what the words "Sticker" or Permit are...

Reactions: longcast

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Speaking of state ramps, I visited the Captree Ramp and inspected it. Do they add docks during the summer so someone can stand on the dock and pull the boat off the trailer ? I was there in the winter and from the looks of it I'd have to put on waders and pull the boat off myself. Normally you can back up alongside the dock and you or someone can pull the boat off.

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Just did a quick Google Earth of Captree State Park & the photo shows two long docks at the ramp, don't know when you looked buy they should be in by now I would think.
John

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Not sure where else to discuss this but how does the Celtic Grace get to dock at the Town of Riverhead South Jamesport Ramp ???
I drove by there today and saw them tied up there
No offense or ill will towards them but how does that work?
A food friend of mine lives right around the corner from that and is a town resident. I help him launch his boat for the season there with my truck and have gotten my stones busted as a non resident.
Do the peeps that sail for the day get to park for free?

Something seems odd with that whole deal

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
You think they'd want people going there to fish, spending money at tackle shops, going to restaurants , local shopping , supporting the local businesses out there and they just wanna keep you away. I could see them trying to keep people away on the weekends, but during the week Peconic Bay is nearly empty. And then the Town Of Hempstead( where I live ) lets non residents use their ramps with no fee. Open to all. I emailed the Town and complained about letting non residents ( Especially the North Shore towns people who go out of their way to keep outsiders away) use the ramps for free and they gave me a silly explanation that the town got money from the State /Federal to build the ramp. Riverhead and Southold got money from the State and after 20 years they didn't have to let Non Residents use the ramps anymore. I got no problem if the TOH doesn't charge non residents, but when their town charges $50 to launch I don't want them getting a free launch. Not right at all.

Last edited:

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Thats more of a rant than an answer to my question😎
Peconic bay is empty so let anybody and everybody come out and bless us??? Baahaaahaaaa

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
The State will charge $8-$10 to launch at that new ramp and they won't spend a dime of their money to build it. The new Peconic Bay ramp was fully funded by a fishing fund , the state didn't pay one dime and it took 9 years to build it. They'll limit parking to 30 cars so it doesn't take business away from private ramps. I see how they operate State Boat ramps on Lake George. They have Million Dollar boat ramp at the south end of the Lake that shuts down Memorial Day Weekend till the fall.

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
The Celtic Quest makes a contract with the town for the month of May, I don't know what the $$$ amount is. When fares show up in the morning to sail, the mate gives them a parking permit good for that day only. The boat has been coming to Jamesport for about five years now, except last year when they were shut down. I guess if he kept the boat at his home port in Port Jef. he would be tied at the dock for most of the month. I was there this afternoon when the boat came in & he sure had a crowd, at $100 a head.
John

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James