With Cuomo Gone Will New York Push a Saltwater License?

Will NY get a saltwater license requirement

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

poorrichard

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Mario Cuomo had a Westchester politician named Brodsky) not allow the gamefish bill to come to the floor for a vote.

It was another-no pun intended-bait and switch by Mario.

Only the $150 lifetime license money was refunded. I paid the $10 annual. Those were never refunded

Reactions: Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
So does GF mean it becomes C&R only and no fish can be taken or kept or does it just shut it down for the commercial sector?

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Mario Cuomo had a Westchester politician named Brodsky) not allow the gamefish bill to come to the floor for a vote.

It was another-no pun intended-bait and switch by Mario.

Only the $150 lifetime license money was refunded. I paid the $10 annual. Those were never refunded
I know this is going off-topic but I do need to reply here.

There was ZERO connection between the license and gamefish. They were two completely different issues. And a great striped bass bill was passed. That's despite Brodsky being a Democrat and the Governor, Pataki a Republican. The commercial fishery is taking fewer fish now than it did before.

You are correct about Brodsky not fully supporting the bill, but he did offer a 150,000-pound max on coms. And he never held up anything. I fished with Richard Brodsky on numerous occasions. He has passed on now but he truly cared about the recreational fisherman. We fished a Hudson River Striper Tourney there that we somehow managed to win. I'll never forget him walking in the restaurant, slime everywhere, showing it off - a Democrat - in the Hudson Valley! He was no villain. We had just passed the gamefish bill through the Republican Senate unopposed, and I was young and nieve, so I thought I'd be able to get it done. In retrospect, I should have taken the deal as coms are over 600k pounds now. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for that one.

But Brodsky helped bring us one of the best fisheries bills ever passed in this state, and that was the removal of the "reduction" boats in NY Waters. They're called reductions boats because they reduce the number of bunkers. The attack on our bunker came from air and sea. I was told early on not to waste my time as NY has tried this before. But Brodsky taught me well and ended up passing a bill that every coastal state wishes they could pass. I am in constant communication with our neighbor states as they work on removing these destructive vessels. This was all done with a Democratic Assembly and a Republican Governor. All it took was finding the right people that cared. And a lot of trips to Albany!

Do you think it's a coincidence that we have seen all of these dolphins, whales from the beach, bluefin tuna within 10-mikes of the shore? In addition, all of the fear mongers, in the beginning, are starting to see the great results we have seen with the return of all year classes of bunker.

I just wish Rich was still around to see it.

C

CaptFP

To stay on topic, correct me if I’m wrong the saltwater license was imposed so that fishermen could be counted by the feds and the feds would kick in more money depending on how many fishermen there are? If I remember correctly the license started out the first year at $10 then Andrew Cuomo reduced it to $2 (before eliminating the fee) when all sporting licenses where reduced.
Off topic, historically rec quotas are reduced while comm quotas increase. Specifically striped bass, with the slot size 2 seasons ago and the circles hooks last season, how long until another recreational moratorium? I remember these closure as a kid and it sucked. But what really sucked was trying to catch one over 36” when it reopened. I think it’s actually worse now trying to catch a slot. Effer’s we’re too big last year.

OVERBORED

Angler
Jan 6, 2021
What I would like to see is "tightening" of the gray areas in the Comm. bass fishing sector.

For example, A guy with a FFL goes blackfishing with a buddy on his boat. The buddy also has a FFL. They cannot catch 50 fish. (25 fish per FFL) They can only keep 25 fish.

With bass, many guys give their tags to others to fill for them taking a prearranged cut when the fish are sold. Some gill netters out east fill tags for the whole town it seems! How is that allowed?

Bass Tags should be for the individual to fill. At the end of the season, they should surrender their unused tags. You should not be able to ship bass with tags registered in someone elses name.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I stand corrected. In 2009 the lifetime was indeed $150. I was 58 then and must have figured that even if the state kept the annual at $10 that I would fish another 15 yrs. I never trust this state and at the time figured i would break even well b4 15 yrs ! I remember getting the refund, just thought it was less.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I won't pony up an extra anything to Newyorkistan. I will not get vanity plates and since I have a passport will not pay them more for an 'enhanced' drivers license nor will I have any evidence of my hunting or pistol license, boating safety etc. added to my drivers license.

Reactions: Avenger

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
I know this is going off-topic but I do need to reply here.

There was ZERO connection between the license and gamefish. They were two completely different issues. And a great striped bass bill was passed. That's despite Brodsky being a Democrat and the Governor, Pataki a Republican. The commercial fishery is taking fewer fish now than it did before.

You are correct about Brodsky not fully supporting the bill, but he did offer a 150,000-pound max on coms. And he never held up anything. I fished with Richard Brodsky on numerous occasions. He has passed on now but he truly cared about the recreational fisherman. We fished a Hudson River Striper Tourney there that we somehow managed to win. I'll never forget him walking in the restaurant, slime everywhere, showing it off - a Democrat - in the Hudson Valley! He was no villain. We had just passed the gamefish bill through the Republican Senate unopposed, and I was young and nieve, so I thought I'd be able to get it done. In retrospect, I should have taken the deal as coms are over 600k pounds now. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for that one.

But Brodsky helped bring us one of the best fisheries bills ever passed in this state, and that was the removal of the "reduction" boats in NY Waters. They're called reductions boats because they reduce the number of bunkers. The attack on our bunker came from air and sea. I was told early on not to waste my time as NY has tried this before. But Brodsky taught me well and ended up passing a bill that every coastal state wishes they could pass. I am in constant communication with our neighbor states as they work on removing these destructive vessels. This was all done with a Democratic Assembly and a Republican Governor. All it took was finding the right people that cared. And a lot of trips to Albany!

Do you think it's a coincidence that we have seen all of these dolphins, whales from the beach, bluefin tuna within 10-mikes of the shore? In addition, all of the fear mongers, in the beginning, are starting to see the great results we have seen with the return of all year classes of bunker.

I just wish Rich was still around to see it.
Thank you!

Bucktail

New Angler
Mar 9, 2019
What I would like to see is "tightening" of the gray areas in the Comm. bass fishing sector.

For example, A guy with a FFL goes blackfishing with a buddy on his boat. The buddy also has a FFL. They cannot catch 50 fish. (25 fish per FFL) They can only keep 25 fish.

With bass, many guys give their tags to others to fill for them taking a prearranged cut when the fish are sold. Some gill netters out east fill tags for the whole town it seems! How is that allowed?

Bass Tags should be for the individual to fill. At the end of the season, they should surrender their unused tags. You should not be able to ship bass with tags registered in someone elses name.
The tag holder must be on the vessel when his tags are used , he is working to fill his tags.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
The tag holder must be on the vessel when his tags are used , he is working to fill his tags.
I personally don't think the com sector is hurting the bass population. We have probably the best-striped bass fisheries in the world. I'm still concerned with the slot through. I don't like targeting certain year classes. If you do a google search you'll find slots really haven't been that productive with other species. Snook and redfish are completely shut down until next June in Florida. Are slots to blame? Who knows? I'm sure red-tide hasn't helped but I'm not convinced slots do.

Reactions: OVERBORED
C

CaptFP

If I remember when the minimum was 36” the “science” indicated that large females didn’t spawn every year or the roe wasn’t viable. Smaller females supposedly being healthier may spawn twice a year. Like I posted before, my enjoyment was to get out as much as possible to catch a 36” keeper even if I released all my bass. When it was dropped to 2 fish @ 28” it was kind of bitter sweet, the challenge was gone .
I knew 2 lobstermen, brothers, who had bass tags. They used to save them for the fall run in montauk. They used to surf fish to fill their quota. Said it was much more fun on plugs than nets

TonySmjc

Well-Known Angler
Jan 25, 2020
Highland beach fla at least in my mind
They can easily exempt the town owners and carve them out of the legislation. The registry is handled by the feds basically to get a count of saltwater anglers for states that do not have a saltwater license.

You are seeing and hearing it here first. The push for the saltwater license is coming. We can fight it to the death and lose or we may be forced to negotiate.
FSBO
For sale by owner

fought them for almost 2 decades

now the can kiss my fat ass

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
If I remember when the minimum was 36” the “science” indicated that large females didn’t spawn every year or the roe wasn’t viable. Smaller females supposedly being healthier may spawn twice a year. Like I posted before, my enjoyment was to get out as much as possible to catch a 36” keeper even if I released all my bass. When it was dropped to 2 fish @ 28” it was kind of bitter sweet, the challenge was gone .
I knew 2 lobstermen, brothers, who had bass tags. They used to save them for the fall run in montauk. They used to surf fish to fill their quota. Said it was much more fun on plugs than nets
I think you're a little off here on a few counts. 36" fish are in the prime of their spawning lifetime, the 28" fish have at least spawned once, maybe twice, but no more than that.

I believe it's when the fish start approaching 40 lbs is when they may spawn every other season, and the eggs may be a bit less viable on a % basis, but since they pump out many more eggs per lb than a younger fish, they still are great assets to the spawn.

Additionally, I have NEVER seen any suggestion that stripers spawn more than once per season. Do you have a reference for that? They spawn and leave the fresh water, not spending enough time there to actually develop a second round of eggs.

TonySmjc

Well-Known Angler
Jan 25, 2020
Highland beach fla at least in my mind
I sold the mj 5 and the pink lady

the fight has bee. The regulations and bullshit nys has dumped upon its fishermen and fishing fleets as long as I’ve been alive

they win
I quit
2 more boats gone 2 more crews unemployed
2 less slips rented
Electric off
Sanitation canceled
taxs no more

Exit stage left
Screw this piece of shit state

Yes I’m still stuck here baby sitting one boat
But I will find the exit sooner rather than later

Fishing Reports