Jigs For Seabass?

HighHook4Hire

New Angler
Aug 19, 2019
Major Craft Jigpara in standard and slow pitch. Found them last year and they are dynamite. Diamond jigs, flutter jigs, deadly dicks, ava's, and just about anything will work if you are in the fish though. My buddy caught some on 1/2oz jigging raps that we use ice fishing.

Reactions: Chinacat
Yes!
The main purpose of my wanting to use jigs more was to save $$$ on bait/clams. The pieces I fish are no doubt going to steal jigs so balancing cost vs effectiveness is a definite factor
Obviously you are fishing the correct pieces, Mitch! Every time I tell my tackle guy I am going Sea Bass fishing I see this big smile appear!!

CaptFP

New Angler
Mar 25, 2020
Westchester County NY
You can get inexpensive diamond jigs on the auction sites and zip tie a squid skirt to the hook. With a few cans of spray paint make them any color you want. Won't last long enough for the paint to flake off. Great for winter project

Reactions: BennyV

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
I’ve seen guys out East using what can only be described as a large fluke ball with a fixed hook. Think ball jig heads but 5+ ounces painted with some eyes on them. I shook my head in disbelief until they started pulling up some nice knot heads.

This was in deeper water in and around the Race\Block Island Sound.

Closer to home any and all of the above will work well.

TalkFishTV.com

New Angler
Feb 3, 2019
Many anglers say if they could have only one lure it would be a bucktail. I myself prefer a 1-2oz metal fish jig. I've caught just about every fish known to man with them. Including but not limited to tons of black sea bass. I buy them by the lot on amazon and then make my own assist hooks using wire instead of cord. My terminal end is comprised of a barrel speed swivel to a tactical anglers clip to the fish jig. This allows for quick switch-outs. The wire assist hook prevents frays and hookups on the TAC. I have a few that have been used so much for so long that the bare metal only is showing and they still catch fish! I also use just the bare jig. No teaser, no high-low, nada. This gives you the ability to go as light as possible, keep bottom contact, and feel every strike. Works great even during the roughest conditions. I find that casting and bouncing it back to the boat works better than vertical jigging. Hope this helps. Please keep us posted on how you do.

Fishing Nerd

New Angler
Apr 3, 2019
Not sure what the position here is on commercial links, so I'll stick to the description...

I did really well with Savage Gear Erratic Fall Squish Jigs this year out on the East End. They're half-bluefish/half-squid like jigs that when the sea bass were hitting bait I switched over to in order to cull out the smaller fish. Not quite as effective as bait, but definitely a much higher keeper ratio.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Thank you all for responding and sharing some awesome information with me.👍👍👍
Much appreciated.🙏🙏🙏
I can't wait to get out there and give it a try

Fishing Nerd

New Angler
Apr 3, 2019
FN - feel free to post those links. We ain't "that Jersey Board."

And so its A-O.K. to help out a brotha' with a lead on good-value tackle purchases, when appropriate.
Very well! I like that policy :)

Here's the link - I'll preface with 'didn't buy it here, and think you can get it cheaper elsewhere' along with the caveat to support your local B&T so they'll stick around:

Had two of 'em, the gold/red was outfishing the pink/blue until Plum Gut claimed it for it's own. Went so far as to try putting some shorter Otter Tail imitation pork rinds on the assist hooks, but they got tangled up on the flutter and didn't seem to do much.

hartattack

Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Central Joisey
Hey Mitch. When the Seabass are on sandeels jigging is the Bomb! I've been using the Tsunami Split Tail Minnow (pearl spot) as my teaser above the smallest jig that gets you down. Last year on Party Boat I was the only one on the Port side and I used Spinner with ava17 + Split-tails, the 15 guys on Starboard side were using 10 oz + clams. Port side did better !! And one soft-body split-tail lasts all day . .

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Hey Mitch. When the Seabass are on sandeels jigging is the Bomb! I've been using the Tsunami Split Tail Minnow (pearl spot) as my teaser above the smallest jig that gets you down. Last year on Party Boat I was the only one on the Port side and I used Spinner with ava17 + Split-tails, the 15 guys on Starboard side were using 10 oz + clams. Port side did better !! And one soft-body split-tail lasts all day . .
Thank You for the input.
much appreciated!!

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Looks like our flat friends might go after these as well

Reactions: DarthBaiter

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Don't the light weight flat jigs tend to catch more current, & drift away before reaching bottom?
John

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James