Nantucket fluke

crabby

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
It's 3 hrs from Yarmouth to the Shoals, how slow is that boat?

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
It's 3 hrs from Yarmouth to the Shoals, how slow is that boat?

That's part of the problem, he doesn't know. The guy he bought the boat from passed away the day Eric bought it and there is no one else who knows the boat well. So he doesn't know how fast she'll go and what the burn rate will be. Right now he's guessing that it'll be somewhere between 5 and 6 hours to cover the 70 miles to the grounds, but until he gets the boat in the water and running he won't really know. Next year he's planning on putting bunks in over the winter and running two day fluke trips to the island, like Joe Huck is doing, but for this year any trips out that far will be short notice "exploratory" trips.

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
That's part of the problem, he doesn't know. The guy he bought the boat from passed away the day Eric bought it and there is no one else who knows the boat well. So he doesn't know how fast she'll go and what the burn rate will be. Right now he's guessing that it'll be somewhere between 5 and 6 hours to cover the 70 miles to the grounds, but until he gets the boat in the water and running he won't really know. Next year he's planning on putting bunks in over the winter and running two day fluke trips to the island, like Joe Huck is doing, but for this year any trips out that far will be short notice "exploratory" trips.
I’d love to do a trip like that. Two days fluking those grounds would be awesome.

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet

No one else knows how the boat runs? Did he research the boat before he bought it?

The Veteran

New Angler
Jan 24, 2019
Good morning Mike whatever happens happens I don't care if it's weekday or in the middle of the week either is okay with me and if something turns out with this please just put me on the list and let me know the date thank you very much

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018

So let me try to understand this, this guy bought the boat and the guy died, all in the same day? And the guy who purchased doesn’t know anything about cruise speed, fuel burn, etc.

What was the plan, to ask him after he paid for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodwinder

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
So let me try to understand us, this guy bought the boat and the guy died, all in the same day? And the guy who purchased doesn’t know anything about cruise speed, fuel burn, etc.

What was the plan, to ask him after he paid for it?

I found it strange also You would think he did some research on the boat before buying it

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
He did all that, but the guy died before he could ask all the questions that inevitable come up when you actually start running the boat. Like what's the fuel burn at 9,10,11 & 12 knots?

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
He did all that, but the guy died before he could ask all the questions that inevitable come up when you actually start running the boat. Like what's the fuel burn at 9,10,11 & 12 knots?

This guy that bought the boat, Rick........ am I correct in assuming he is a good friend of Mr Walker also?

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
Nope, His name is Eric, lots of people around here know him. He runs a fleet of four charter boats. I have no idea if he knows Mr. Walker or not.

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet

One would think he would of asked an important question like that before he bought the boat That is usually an important thing too know before buying a boat no?

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
One would think he would of asked an important question like that before he bought the boat That is usually an important thing too know before buying a boat no?

He was told what the fuel burn was at 9 knots, that's the speed the previous owner ran at all the time. But no captain of a party boat in their right mind would ever attempt a 150 mile trip without positively knowing what the burn rate is. Would you take someone else's word for it and chance being stuck 80 miles from home?

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbysea