Nantucket fluke

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
That's part of the problem, he doesn't know. The guy he bought the boat from passed away the day Eric bought it and there is no one else who knows the boat well. So he doesn't know how fast she'll go and what the burn rate will be.

He was told what the fuel burn was at 9 knots, that's the speed the previous owner ran at all the time. But no captain of a party boat in their right mind would ever attempt a 150 mile trip without positively knowing what the burn rate is. Would you take someone else's word for it and chance being stuck 80 miles from home?

Ok so now he knows what it burns @9knots before he didnt Its a start

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
Ok so now he knows what it burns @9knots before he didnt Its a start

No, you missed my point. He knows what the previous owner told him was the burn rate at 9 knots, he doesn't know for sure that what he was told is correct. When you have passengers lives on the line you have to be sure!

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
I got your point but in your initial post you said he knew nothing about fuel burn of the boat and I thought that was strange that someone would buy a boat basically knowing nothing about how much fuel it burned

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
Wouldn't that be a Fuel flow / scan system?

The Captain needs to know what to expect in order to plan out a trip. Fuel flow meters are good for real time monitoring but basically useless for planning.

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
He was told what the fuel burn was at 9 knots, that's the speed the previous owner ran at all the time. But no captain of a party boat in their right mind would ever attempt a 150 mile trip without positively knowing what the burn rate is. Would you take someone else's word for it and chance being stuck 80 miles from home?
Why would you want to charter a 9kt boat for a Nantucket Fluke trip?

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
Pretty simple stuff Matty. You know how far you want to go, you know how fast you want to go, you know what the burn rate is at that speed, you do the math and determine if you have enough fuel to take the trip. Fuel meters will tell you what you burning at that moment, but are totally useless to do the math above.

MakoMatt

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
Pretty simple stuff Matty. You know how far you want to go, you know how fast you want to go, you know what the burn rate is at that speed, you do the math and determine if you have enough fuel to take the trip. Fuel meters will tell you what you burning at that moment, but are totally useless to do the math above.

Mike, you answer is about as absurd as it is to charter a 9kt boat to Nantucket for Fluke.

jpd

Staff member
Dec 24, 2018
I'm not an old salt like you guys, but why couldn't you top off in Nantucket if you were concerned about having enough fuel?
He's concerned about having enough gas to get there, or is gas way too expensive on the island or something?

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
I'm not an old salt like you guys, but why couldn't you top off in Nantucket if you were concerned about having enough fuel?
He's concerned about having enough gas to get there, or is gas way too expensive on the island or something?

$$$$

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
Well, Jeff is all booked up and Eric sold the old Bounty Hunter so I wouldn't know where to find a six pack. We could use my boat, but it would be just as long a ride and it would cost a hell of a lot more!

crabby

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I didn't know Eric sold the other boat.

This was his announcement on another site;

Let me start off by reassuring everyone, the 2019 Schedule still has ONE 6 man boat "Bounty Hunter" on the books, all Spring Buzzards Bay trips, Nantucket Shoals Fluke and Georges Channel Cod trips will go on as scheduled.

It’s finally time to announce the “BIG” news for 2019.........

As of today, Bounty Hunter Charters is the new owner of Capt. Leroy’s Deep Sea Fishing Inc. and the Capt. Leroy V. The Capt. Leroy V is 60 ft long, and sports a beefy 17 ft beam, which provides for a roomy and stable fishing platform. With 1100hp down below she makes fast work in getting to the fishing grounds.

We are looking forward to announcing many new trips for 2019 including 10 hr “Captain’s Choice” Noman’s Island marathons, Haddock, Cod, Night Bass & Blues, Offshore Wreck trips and a few Nantucket Shoals Fluke trips. We will specialize in LIMITED LOAD trips, which will provide everyone with a seat out of elements, plenty of rail space, and offering the same “6 pack” service and experience our valued clients are accustomed to. In addition to our limited load trips, we are available for private charter for groups up to 47 passengers.
The vessel will be docked at our new location: Union Wharf North Dock

Fairhaven, MA 02719

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbysea