1996 Privateer Renegade I/O to Outboard Conversion

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
Slow week, lots of interruptions ..... set up the new panel to the dimensions of the install, trimmed back wires and crimped on the spade connectors for the switches. Both my micro torches quit so I wasn't able to finish it. New one coming. The regular torch is too much flame. The lighter in the photo leaves black marks on the clear heat shrink.

pre07.jpg

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
Slow week, lots of interruptions ..... set up the new panel to the dimensions of the install, trimmed back wires and crimped on the spade connectors for the switches. Both my micro torches quit so I wasn't able to finish it. New one coming. The regular torch is too much flame. The lighter in the photo leaves black marks on the clear heat shrink.

View attachment 18978
John,

Try a butane soldering iron one that has the tip that produces hot air only no flame its all I use for shrink wrapping it works great

Reactions: Roccus7
Mar 4, 2019
Glendale NY
A little trick when using a lighter to shrink tubing,hold the tubing in the blue part of the flame.You will not get the black marks.The barbecue type lighter works well.

Reactions: Capt13

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
What make components are you using? Meaning the main power distribution bus, the ground bus, ect.

Are you using fuses or circuit breakers?

That looks great by the way.
Thanks. The terminal strips are Sea Choice. The fuse blocks, battery selector switch and Charging relay are Blue Sea brand. I had a new 6 gang Blade style fuse block and a 6 gang glass fuse block that I had bought for other projects and never used. I was on the fence about mixing fuse types and came to terms with having to carry both styles of spare fuses.

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
John,

Try a butane soldering iron one that has the tip that produces hot air only no flame its all I use for shrink wrapping it works great
This is what I had been using. Is it what you are referring to ?

Jan 1, 2019
Wasted away in Margaritaville.

View attachment 18978
They make electric heat guns specifically for that purpose, I have one and it does a great job on all types of shrink tubing.

Reactions: Avenger

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
Thanks Whisperer, I just found this video ..... I have similar heat guns, just need to get on of the deflector attachments.

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
Cappy John, you don't need a deflector on a heat gun. A Millions if not a gazillion joints have been shrunk without a deflector. As far as the butane torch goes i use the one from Harbor Freight. I have had a few other brands but that cheepo seems to last just as long.

Reactions: Capt13

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
Nothing picture-worthy ........ but still putting time in. Added another coat of fairing compound to the transom. Hard to know the difference between "good enough" and " I can make it better". Spent two days, maybe 10hrs, removing the old rub rail (there was grinding involved and cutting ss bolts with a Dremel), and drilling 3 1/2" and 2 1/4" holes through the gunnel knee braces to accept PVC pipe for wire chases.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Optimum II